Sponsored by:

Intermittent nav problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:26 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Intermittent nav problems

Twice now the navigation unit on my 2012.5 has lost its way and shows me to be at a location 50 miles east of where I am. The first time it was out for a couple of days but of course on the service appointment date it corrected itself and the service dept could not find anything wrong ( they just rebooted it).

Three weeks and maybe 200 miles later it just happened again.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 11-03-2016, 08:10 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. I had a similar problem.

See my thread here for more info:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9503...pcm-nav-2.html

Let us know what turns up.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:37 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

HMMM! I too recently installed device (a dash cam for me) and ran the power wire down the A pillar to the passenger fuse box. While driving back from Porsche Service to show them I wasn't nuts and that it happened again, I disconnected the plug to the cam and within a couple of minutes the location corrected itself. Is the Nav antenna in the passenger side A pillar? Maybe the flow of current to my Dash Cam, (or others' radar detectors) is enough to confuse the antenna signal?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:10 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smichael
HMMM! I too recently installed device (a dash cam for me) and ran the power wire down the A pillar to the passenger fuse box. While driving back from Porsche Service to show them I wasn't nuts and that it happened again, I disconnected the plug to the cam and within a couple of minutes the location corrected itself. Is the Nav antenna in the passenger side A pillar? Maybe the flow of current to my Dash Cam, (or others' radar detectors) is enough to confuse the antenna signal?
Seems plausible in your case.

I think the actual antenna is under the passenger side frunk under the cowling above the cabin filter. And from a diagram in the other thread I believe the antenna booster maybe in the A pillar.

Mine turned out to be a defective PCM unit.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:19 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by smichael
I would think that would be easy enough to determine. Using the display described in the other thread than FiveRiversGTS referred you to, sit out somewhere where you know you have problems, see how many satellites are tracked, then unplug the dash cam and see if that number increases. Plug it back in and see if the count goes back down.

I just recently hardwired in my dash cam to the driver's side fuse box so my wire runs down the driver's side pillar (along with my radar detector wire) and seems to cause no problems. If the dash cam power line ends up being the cause of your problems, then this could be your solution.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:36 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

I will try out the diagnostic suggested. If I do relocate the wire run to the driver side pillar , do you know which fuse on that side turns off immediately when the ignition turns off? Many on the passenger side at least either stay live or shut down after a half hour . My dash cam uses that turn off as a trigger to go into its low drain parking mode.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:52 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

I saw an email with your post come through, but I don't see the post here. In any case, if you do choose to hardwire I used driver's side D1, the rear wiper fuse. It turns on only when the ignition is on and turns off immediately on ignition-off. I used the Add-a-Fuse plug you can get at most automotive sources. Here's a photo. As you can see I routed the wire through an opening in the back of the fuse box at the top after partially removing the side trim panel to get behind it, which was trickier than I expected. I'll try to explain if you end up going this route. It is sort of a small DIY itself. I could have probably fished it up through that gap you see at the top more easily.

Quick Reply: Intermittent nav problems