iPod Cable to Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts
Default iPod Cable to Center Console

Having the only USB port in the car be in the glovebox has annoyed me since before I bought the car. When I picked the car up, I brought along a 6' USB / Lightning cable to hook my phone up. I ended up quickly tucking it under the trim on the side of the console and having it accessible near the center console. But every time I used it, it would pull out and flop around quite a bit.

I thought that maybe I could route it out through a hole in the center console but from doing some quick searches and also by removing the two Torx under the rubber pad, looks like you need to take apart part of the backseat to do that.

So I ended up removing the side panels, silver surround and rubber gasket. I routed the wire through the back of the glovebox, then down behind it, and into the center console. There is a lot of room under the shifter, however that's a bad place for a loose wire to be flopping around. I figure when I swap the shifter, I'll be removing the console again and I will route the wire a little better on the inside of the shifter, but secure it with zip ties so nothing comes near the shifter.

I ended up basically tucking the wire into the top of the "mesh" trim that lives between the upper and lower side panels of the console. It is wedged between that trim and the outside of the shifter housing, so it won't move near the shifter and get caught.

At the back of the console, the area for the wire to go narrows up and is a natural pinch point, a perfect size for my aftermarket cable. The beauty of this is that it locks the cable in place and keeps it from pulling inside the console when in use. When the rubber gasket and trim is snapped back on, it really gets locked in there firmly.

Not the most complicated of mods, but a nice clean solution if you like your phone to stay in your center console, or on your seat. I find keeping it in there helps me avoid the urge to text while driving, which is bad! I do use the phone for Waze, but usually have the PCM
set to map or running in parallel, and the Waze audio comes through the speakers. I prefer not to have my phone visible while driving.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the disassembly. I used the threads on here and 6Speed as guides.
Attached Images        
Old 10-16-2016, 03:37 PM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work!

Surprised that there isn't an iPod-capable USB port in the central console in the 991.1s. That is some weird, wild stuff.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:26 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A BlueTrip module and short jumper cable in your DC outlet in the glove box would allow you to BlueTooth from your iphone to the audio system.
Have that set up in my 981B with base audio.-Richard
https://griffintechnology.com/us/col...-aux-bluetooth
Old 10-17-2016, 11:49 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by budrichard
A BlueTrip module and short jumper cable in your DC outlet in the glove box would allow you to BlueTooth from your iphone to the audio system.
Have that set up in my 981B with base audio.-Richard
https://griffintechnology.com/us/col...-aux-bluetooth
Don't understand the point of this. I already have a bluetooth capable PCM so I wouldn't need something like this. That's not a problem. But the PCM works differently when connected physically to the phone (such as browsing ipod tracks, etc.).
Old 10-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

A lot cleaner option. Direct connect, increased cell coverage, charges.
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

^^^^ This

The Fusion Dock has worked out great for me
Old 10-17-2016, 01:11 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Fusion Dock is a slick design that trades form for function.

Is it compatible with the iPhone 7?
Old 10-17-2016, 02:41 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini

Is it compatible with the iPhone 7?
No 6 Plus or 7 Plus that's for sure.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Call them. They tell me it takes 3-4 months for changes
Old 10-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Homeles
A lot cleaner option. Direct connect, increased cell coverage, charges.
A lot cleaner, but more expensive.

Originally Posted by go.illini
Yes, that dock is slick, but precludes you from using it on the fly...which may be a good thing. I still may have gotten it despite both the above but..,,

Originally Posted by daberlin
No 6 Plus or 7 Plus that's for sure.
I have a 6S Plus and will be keeping the large size phone, so it was a no-go for me. Too bad, it looks hella cool.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:06 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Fusion looks super nice, problem is I buy a new iPhone every two years or sooner. Just bought the "7", and if the 10 year anniversary "8" is anything close to the speculation, I will buy that one next year. One rendering showed similar dimensions to the current "7", but went edge to edge, allowing similar usable screen size to the plus -- that would be a killer product. Will the Fusion accommodate that? Didn't think so. Don't want to re-engineer the car every time I buy a phone.

Don't have the 991.2TT yet, although should have in a couple of weeks. Likely will add an ATT sim card to my account for the CarPlay , and also will subscribe to all the connect services (2 year contract).

Quick Reply: iPod Cable to Center Console