991.2 Base vs S model off the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 03:04 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 991.2 Base vs S model off the track

Hi everyone,

Can owners and people who have driven both models for a prolonged period of time share their opinion? If one does not ever drive on track, can one actually notice any difference between the two models?

And, as iterated by many, do the S model command a much better resale value?

thanks.
gary.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:25 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

The S is faster and you notice it but the base is more than "adequate" as compared to the base .1 variant. Not sure about resale values but if the lease residuals are any guide, S variants carry a 2% lower residual value at 36 months compared to the base car, plus the base car is less money so, possibly more buyers? At these prices though, just buy how much power you think you need, keep the option list light and you'll be doing as well as anyone can do with a $100,000 car when it comes to resale value down he road. You're going to lose a ton of money, but you'll have fun driving, in the process.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:50 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Any idea on how much 991.2 will depreciate after a year? KBB price seems to be only 10k to 20k off from 2015 to 2016. That's probably not going to true.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:48 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
Thanks. Any idea on how much 991.2 will depreciate after a year? KBB price seems to be only 10k to 20k off from 2015 to 2016. That's probably not going to true.
A lot. I figure 20% year one, then a slower downward curve unless you bought a 993 in 2008-11. The 991.2 isn't exactly rare and they are still making them to order.
Options are a killer if that matters to you - most approach 100% depreciation.
I would say they aren't investments if my other investments did spectacularly better. And the cars are way more fun than looking at numbers on a screen.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Do you really need to go 0-60 in 4.4 secs or 4.1 on the street? Base is far more than you will ever need. These are super car numbers in the 1980s when I was growing up. The .2 Base is not like the .1 Base which some could argue was lacking in acceleration.

As far as resale value between the S and the Base, I think the paradigm has shifted from the .1 to the .2. It's too early to tell. However since the .2 S and Base have the same displacement engine with just a little bit more boost, there is much less motivation to have an S. Frankly the bigger brakes don't matter a whole lot. The tires are the limiting factor.

If you are worried about resale value, I think you are in the wrong game....that matters with investments, not cars. You are going to get screwed in that department if you buy any Porsche.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:51 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Melted chocolate inside the dash. That really ups the resale value.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:52 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a little more to it than a bit more boost as some have suggested. But put that to one side. There are two items you cant get on the base Porsche C2, torque vectoring and rear axle steering.

The mechanical/electronic controlled lockable diff give you much better traction in a whole range of circumstances and conditions. The rear axle steering improves handling at both low speed and high speed.

To me, items that improve handling and traction are important in many everyday situations.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Do you really need to go 0-60 in 4.4 secs or 4.1 on the street? .
4.4? Try 3.4. Motor Trend clocked a 3.4 second 0-60 time in the C2 and 3.1 in the C2S. The 4s are expected to be even a tenth faster than that. Insane times all around.

The primary reason one would look at the S vs. the base has nothing to do with the motor, IMO, and everything to do with the options you can get on the S that you can't on the base. Namely, SPASM, RWS and bigger iron brakes. Porsche is smart, as if they offered those on the base, they wouldn't sell too many S's in .2 form.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:44 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Porsche is smart, as if they offered those on the base, they wouldn't sell too many S's in .2 form.
Agreed Porsche is very smart!

The base CS is a very good package and would make an excellent DD and as you rightly point out, if you want the performance goodies you have to move up to the S.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:45 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I have always wanted all the extra goodies Porsche's S models have offered. If I didn't get them I always regretted it. They do cost more. So with that in mind, I always look for a low mileage loaded CPO S or better, around year or two old, st 25-30% off MSRP. And I typically look over most of the US when hunting. If they are loaded with at least all the options I want, that makes me happy. Finding one, like my present C2S, loaded CPO at 3100 miles at a super price, has always made me happy and satisfied, knowing it's a better value and better car than the base model. And it's more fun with better performance. For me, that's a win-win.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The performance of the .2C2 and .2C4 are MORE than adequate for the road.
I have a .2C4S because some options I wanted were less with the S or can't be gotton with the Base.
So if not Track, purchase a Base and use the money saved for options or somewhere else.
I have Model Delete on my .2C4S, 'Porsche' in Red, so no one knows what I'm driving anyway unless you are a Porsche fan.-Richard.
BTW as to depreciation, resale etc, if your concerned about that, your in the wrong game!
Old 10-16-2016, 09:10 AM
kayjh
Drifting

If you want an answer to your depreciation question, talk to your Porsche dealer. I did. At 36 months a C2 low km lease (16,000 km) will have a residual of 60%. I didn't check the 24 month residual, but it is easy enough for you to do. As I posted above, a C2S will be 2% lower at 58%. The car loses a bigger percentage of its depreciation in year 1, less so in year 2, but by the end of year 3 the total value is 40% less than it was worth when you drove off the lot. So it will cost you $40,000 plus interest at 5% to drive a $100,000 911. If you get an S, it will cost you an extra $7,500 plus interest over the same period (Canada). So now regardless of which car is faster or can be bought with more "trick" options, how much do you want to spend?
Old 10-16-2016, 09:13 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by budrichard
The performance of the .2C2 and .2C4 are MORE than adequate for the road.
I have a .2C4S because some options I wanted were less with the S or can't be gotton with the Base.
So if not Track, purchase a Base and use the money saved for options or somewhere else.
I have Model Delete on my .2C4S, 'Porsche' in Red, so no one knows what I'm driving anyway unless you are a Porsche fan.-Richard.
BTW as to depreciation, resale etc, if your concerned about that, your in the wrong game!
Well the guys on this forum will know you are driving an S regardless of model delete from the color of your calipers- for those who case
Old 10-16-2016, 09:18 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by randr
There is a little more to it than a bit more boost as some have suggested. But put that to one side. There are two items you cant get on the base Porsche C2, torque vectoring and rear axle steering.

The mechanical/electronic controlled lockable diff give you much better traction in a whole range of circumstances and conditions. The rear axle steering improves handling at both low speed and high speed.

To me, items that improve handling and traction are important in many everyday situations.
What a game .. Car and Driver said they couldn't feel a difference with 4 wheel steering operating comparing back to back with a base car. I've driven both. The base car is brilliant and even without sport chrono, PSE, etc., anyone would kill to be able to drive one of these models. If the OP wants to spend as little as possible, get a base car with comfortable seats, lease it so you don't have to pick "popular" options which will drive up the cost just to improve resale value and then go driving. Your senses will thank you.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:54 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
I have always wanted all the extra goodies Porsche's S models have offered. If I didn't get them I always regretted it. They do cost more. So with that in mind, I always look for a low mileage loaded CPO S or better, around year or two old, st 25-30% off MSRP. And I typically look over most of the US when hunting. If they are loaded with at least all the options I want, that makes me happy. Finding one, like my present C2S, loaded CPO at 3100 miles at a super price, has always made me happy and satisfied, knowing it's a better value and better car than the base model. And it's more fun with better performance. For me, that's a win-win.
Plus a better than new warranty!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base vs S model off the track