Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Continental ContactExtreme Sport tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked the DW on other cars due to it's comfortable and quiet characteristics.
I also did not pick up rocks, like the PSS does when it gets warmed up.

Will this new tire be more like that, or like the PSS?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the post. Nice to have another option when my time comes.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:42 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Has anybody been able to find prices for this new Conti tire? I tried Tire Rack yesterday, but this new tire is apparently not yet available from them.

One really good benefit is that this tire goes all the way down to 16" rims, which means it will work for standard OEM rims for 964's and some 993's.

I also agree with Fred2 that the Conti ExtremeContact DW is a very quiet and comfortable tire. I've been using them on my '96 993 C2 coupe for the past three years. They also seem to give fairly predictable breakaway. However, I do not have total confidence in their ability to stick (DW), which makes sense, because they do not have a super sticky compound. I would not use the DW tires on the track, but again, as everything else above, this is just my experience and opinion. One more feature of the DW tire is that it will actually perform better in colder temperatures than the MPSS or PN0 (I have not yet had the opportunity to try the PN01 tires). I think Vise will be giving us the best information on cold temp use of the MPC2, before he switches over to his winter tires. I personally know from experience that with temps in the mid 40's F. and damp pavement, the PN0 is not to be trusted at all.

On the other hand, the new Conti ExtremeContact Sport, should logically move into a more sticky compound, in order to compete with the MPSS and PN01. I'm leaving the MPC2 out of any comparison. The fact that smaller sizes will be available will allow guys like me to compare them to the Bridgestone Potenza RE11 and RE71 for track use on older cars.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
Has anybody been able to find prices for this new Conti tire? I tried Tire Rack yesterday, but this new tire is apparently not yet available from them.

One really good benefit is that this tire goes all the way down to 16" rims, which means it will work for standard OEM rims for 964's and some 993's.

I also agree with Fred2 that the Conti ExtremeContact DW is a very quiet and comfortable tire. I've been using them on my '96 993 C2 coupe for the past three years. They also seem to give fairly predictable breakaway. However, I do not have total confidence in their ability to stick (DW), which makes sense, because they do not have a super sticky compound. I would not use the DW tires on the track, but again, as everything else above, this is just my experience and opinion. One more feature of the DW tire is that it will actually perform better in colder temperatures than the MPSS or PN0 (I have not yet had the opportunity to try the PN01 tires). I think Vise will be giving us the best information on cold temp use of the MPC2, before he switches over to his winter tires. I personally know from experience that with temps in the mid 40's F. and damp pavement, the PN0 is not to be trusted at all.

On the other hand, the new Conti ExtremeContact Sport, should logically move into a more sticky compound, in order to compete with the MPSS and PN01. I'm leaving the MPC2 out of any comparison. The fact that smaller sizes will be available will allow guys like me to compare them to the Bridgestone Potenza RE11 and RE71 for track use on older cars.
they dont start shipping until Feb/Mar of 2017...
Old 10-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Fred2
Racer

I did a track day in a bmw with the DW tires, and they experienced Significant wear, to the point he outer tread was scalloped from the cornering.

I do think that the DW makes a great street tire for driving at less than race track pace.

I hope the new tire is similar to the old one.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
I did a track day in a bmw with the DW tires, and they experienced Significant wear, to the point he outer tread was scalloped from the cornering.

I do think that the DW makes a great street tire for driving at less than race track pace.

I hope the new tire is similar to the old one.
its much improved over the previous DW IMO ... and after a day at Thermal on the track I saw little sign of serious wear on the CE-S
Old 10-23-2016, 10:06 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Had these on an Audi quattro. They were perfect. Suggested them to a friend with a Jetta. He hated them and had them removed. Someone will have to be the beta tester.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:24 AM
Fred2
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its much improved over the previous DW IMO ... and after a day at Thermal on the track I saw little sign of serious wear on the CE-S
Any feedback on the compliant side wall and the quiet ride?

Quick Reply: The new Continental ContactExtreme Sport tire