Sponsored by:

.2 Base C2/C4 Brake Question for Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 04:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts
Default .2 Base C2/C4 Brake Question for Owners

I'm considering ordering a base C4 and I'm wavering on whether to do PCCBs or not. My recent Porsches have either had the S brakes or PCCBs, so I've never had the smaller base brakes, and the ones on the .2 look positively tiny.

While I much prefer the PCCBs that I have on my '14 C2S, I'm thinking I'd like to keep the option of a 19" winter wheel set open on this new car, so I'm considering just going with the standard brakes. I'm hoping that some current .2 owners with the standard brakes can comment on how they like them and whether they think they're up to the task in sporting situations.

I'm keeping my .1 C2S for weekend sporty driving, so this C4 will be more of a daily driver, weekend getaway with the wife, kinda car. Don't need amazing sporting performance, but do want decent brakes for the times that I choose to push the car a bit.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:21 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 991.2 C4S without rear wheel steering will accept 19" wheel/tire winter combo I have on order from Porsche. Conversely while I don;t have a 991.2 C4, I do have a 981B with 18" wheels and standard brakes. Any of the current Porsche brakes will be more than adequate for "weekend sporty driving".
I really don't see the logic of a .1 C2S and a .2C4?-Richard
Old 10-12-2016, 06:33 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 984 Posts

I don't own a .2 but have driven the .2 on the track and on the street. My Boxster S has similar brakes to the .2 Base. They are all fantastic.

The brakes wont be the limiting factor though. It's the tires. If you are using your C4 as a winter/commuter car, you are wasting your money on PCCBs. Just my opinion of course.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:56 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a base 991.2 with standard brakes. I find the brakes more than adequate, in fact, I find them amazing and very satisfying. I have not taken the car to a track yet, but I would have no hesitation to push the car (and the brakes) hard on the track.

By the way, I am not sure if the .2 brakes are in fact any different than the .1 brakes. Are they?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by budrichard
The 991.2 C4S without rear wheel steering will accept 19" wheel/tire winter combo I have on order from Porsche. Conversely while I don;t have a 991.2 C4, I do have a 981B with 18" wheels and standard brakes. Any of the current Porsche brakes will be more than adequate for "weekend sporty driving".
I really don't see the logic of a .1 C2S and a .2C4?-Richard
The 19's won't fit over the new PCCBs on any of the .2s. They'll fit over either of the standard brake setups, but not the PCCB.

I just sold a 2014 Cayman S with what I believe had the same 330/4 pot setup, and I did not think the brakes were great on that car, and the C4 is a couple hundred pounds heavier. Just wondering how they feel on the Carrera.

My .1 is a stripper performance build, great to drive, but not very conducive to weekend trips with the wife. And I may retire to a colder climate. I have no intention to sell the .1, so a softer C4 would fit the bill as a good all rounder for times with the wife in the car, and for commuting.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by subshooter
I don't own a .2 but have driven the .2 on the track and on the street. My Boxster S has similar brakes to the .2 Base. They are all fantastic.

The brakes wont be the limiting factor though. It's the tires. If you are using your C4 as a winter/commuter car, you are wasting your money on PCCBs. Just my opinion of course.
Wouldn't only be a winter/commuter car; there would be a lot of nice weather cruising and traveling.

PCCB in cold climate gives me a bit of pause, but when I watch all the YouTube videos of the Porsche winter driving courses, it seems like every car they use has PCCBs on it. Go figure. Aside from the wonderful feel of the PCCBs, it makes cleaning the car sooooo much easier, and the older I get, the more that matters to me. My white .1S with OptiCoated paint and PCCBs takes me less than 20 minutes to make look like new again. But I think the smart choice is to go with the standard brakes. I actually don't care for the yellow calipers anyway, so that makes it a bit easier.

Quick Reply: .2 Base C2/C4 Brake Question for Owners