Sponsored by:

Help - 991 Brake Bleed/Flush Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:23 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB

7. I don't position my catch bottle above the bleed nipple. I simply hang it or set it on the ground. I have never heard of or experienced the vacuum effect you mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback, I've incorporated into the original post. About the catch bottle height, it was from this old thread.

Brake Bleed Newbie Errors:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...eeding-brakes/

"Elevate the catch tube and receptacle well above the caliper. Otherwise, the fluid in the down side of the catch tube will draw a vacuum on the line and you may see bubbles in the catch line from suction around the bleed screw when they really aren't any in the brake system." - PorschePRH
Old 10-06-2016, 12:13 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Thanks for the feedback, I've incorporated into the original post. About the catch bottle height, it was from this old thread.

Brake Bleed Newbie Errors:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...eeding-brakes/

"Elevate the catch tube and receptacle well above the caliper. Otherwise, the fluid in the down side of the catch tube will draw a vacuum on the line and you may see bubbles in the catch line from suction around the bleed screw when they really aren't any in the brake system." - PorschePRH
Ah yes, this is the occasional bubble that slips by the bleeder that I referred to. Not an issue if you understand what it is. Good find!
Old 10-06-2016, 01:24 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What sequence do you use for inner and outer bleed valves. How long do you bleed each?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:56 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
What sequence do you use for inner and outer bleed valves?
Bleed the outer valves first.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:35 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

If anyone is interested, there are two "official" 991 shop manuals for bleeding and replacing brake fluids from Porsche -- WM 470107 Bleeding, and WM 470855 Changing. If interested in copies, let me know -- I also have plans to post-up on my blog shortly.... No surprises, but the official procedures and technical values from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (12-22-2020)
Old 10-06-2016, 10:47 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BradB
Bleed the outer valves first.
++1 Correct. Outer first.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by Duke I
What sequence do you use for inner and outer bleed valves. How long do you bleed each?

Thanks.
As others stated above, outer first.

Bleed: Let the outer bleed maybe 20-30 sec (or until you stop noticing bubbles that comes out of the bleed screw, not to be confused with bubbles in the clear bleed hose) then about 10 sec for the inner.
Flush: Let the outer out until fluid change color (darker to clearer) and a little more. Then inner for about 10-15 sec. For flush, you'll use about 750ml-900ml total for all 4 corners. It uses less closer you are to the master cylinder.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:24 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by plenum
If anyone is interested, there are two "official" 991 shop manuals for bleeding and replacing brake fluids from Porsche -- WM 470107 Bleeding, and WM 470855 Changing. If interested in copies, let me know -- I also have plans to post-up on my blog shortly.... No surprises, but the official procedures and technical values from the factory.
Please please. If you have the link or PDF, I can compile this to the original post here.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Stevie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested
Old 10-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

Old 10-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm interested too. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:33 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Hey all- I'll respond directly to those who PM'd me, but for anyone else you can find the factory brake service Work Manual references and my "interpretation" of each over on my blog: 991 Brake Service

Before anyone goes looking for some earth-shaking revelations about servicing the brake system on our 991's, be forewarned you will be disappointed! The factory manuals are incredibly basic in this case, and don't provide too much in the way of visuals or other details. Yes there are a few specs and such presented, but there really isn't anything that others on this thread haven't already confirmed. I've added a few of my own points / comments from my personal experience -- and would be thrilled to add any pictures, etc. from other members if they'd like to contact me. For now I simply included the WM illustrations, which I would like to replace in the future with actual pictures....

Cheers!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Hey all- I'll respond directly to those who PM'd me, but for anyone else you can find the factory brake service Work Manual references and my "interpretation" of each over on my blog: 991 Brake Service

Before anyone goes looking for some earth-shaking revelations about servicing the brake system on our 991's, be forewarned you will be disappointed! The factory manuals are incredibly basic in this case, and don't provide too much in the way of visuals or other details. Yes there are a few specs and such presented, but there really isn't anything that others on this thread haven't already confirmed. I've added a few of my own points / comments from my personal experience -- and would be thrilled to add any pictures, etc. from other members if they'd like to contact me. For now I simply included the WM illustrations, which I would like to replace in the future with actual pictures....

Cheers!
Thanks so much for the info. 2 questions for anyone to asnwer:
(1) Is 2.0 bar (29psi) for PSM/ABS flush only or regular brake bleed?
(2) "NOTE: Continuously pump the brake pedal slowly during the bleeding process (second mechanic required)." Anyone can elaborate this? Does this mean one person needs to pump the brakes the old fashion way even after the one-man bleeding is done?
Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry to bring this thread back from oblivion, but I found it very useful - I have a quick question for those in the know: The regular Motive European Bleeder should work fine on a 991 right (0100 European Bleeder) as opposed to the 0109 Black Label European Bleeder? Wasn't clear to me why a red aluminum cap would be needed for an extra 20, unless there's another difference I'm missing.

Last edited by erko1905; 04-14-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Sorry to bring this thread back from oblivion, but I found it very useful - I have a quick question for those in the know: The regular Motive European Bleeder should work fine on a 991 right (0100 European Bleeder) as opposed to the 0109 Black Label European Bleeder? Wasn't clear to me why a red aluminum cap would be needed for an extra 20, unless there's another difference I'm missing.
Yes, they will both work. Here is the difference:

1.) 0109 “Black Label Bleeder” comes with the aluminum machined cap plus extra hose.
2.) 0100 - “European Bleeder” comes with the black plastic cap.

You are basically paying a higher price for the first item with a higher quality cap and extra hose. Both will work, your call.

Quick Reply: Help - 991 Brake Bleed/Flush Procedure