Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An FYI for those wishing for Hawk Ceramic brake pads...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 11:20 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts
Default An FYI for those wishing for Hawk Ceramic brake pads...

After having to clean my wheels once again... I was reminded about my disappointment that the Hawk Ceramic brake pads aren't available for 991 models. I'm aware of the Armor-All wheel protectant, but that isn't as good as the Hawk pads were at keeping dust down on my prior 997s and BMW.

I emailed them to ask about it and got a short answer. At least there may be a solution for S models before too much longer:

Thanks for contacting us. We are currently working on the pads for the S models. We should hopefully have them ready early next year.

....[name deleted]....
Customer Service Representative
Hawk Performance
Carlisle Brake & Friction
6180 Cochran Road
Solon, Ohio 44139

Last edited by StormRune; 10-01-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:38 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I got Centric Posi-Quiet pads for the street. Excellent performance and practically dust free.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:39 PM
Pitocin
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to know. I'll be due for a pad change around then. I'm so tired of the heavy dust and loud break squealing.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I have the Hawk Ceramics on our Q7 and they're horrible. Stopping power way worse than stock and they still dust the wheels. Garbage and a big waste of money. Armor All protectant works way better than those pads.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:03 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I got Centric Posi-Quiet pads for the street. Excellent performance and practically dust free.
Hi Brad, Where did you purchase these ? TIA T
Old 10-01-2016, 10:23 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Hi Brad, Where did you purchase these ? TIA T
I got them from Dave Zeckhausen Racing. Good guy to talk to about ANY braking needs. I've been running these for two years now.

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...ducts_id=12251

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...ducts_id=16461
Old 10-01-2016, 10:58 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
I got them from Dave Zeckhausen Racing. Good guy to talk to about ANY braking needs. I've been running these for two years now.
Thank you for heads-up on these. I'm looking into them.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I have the Hawk Ceramics on our Q7 and they're horrible. Stopping power way worse than stock and they still dust the wheels. Garbage and a big waste of money. Armor All protectant works way better than those pads.
On the 997 forums there are dozens of posts showing a virtually unanimous opinion that their performance is just fine and pretty much the same as stock. The only exception is right after a thorough car wash when the rotors and pads are wet... but that wears off in just a few seconds. They worked great for me even under the demands of autocrossing, but I can't say about all-out track speeds.

Maybe something is different on the Q7 version, maybe the rotor material isn't as compatible with the pads, or maybe the Q7's nearly 5000 pound weight just pushes things a bit too far. Even my 2002 SuperCab pickup truck weighs hundreds of pounds less than that!
Old 10-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
After having to clean my wheels once again... I was reminded about my disappointment that the Hawk Ceramic brake pads aren't available for 991 models. I'm aware of the Armor-All wheel protectant, but that isn't as good as the Hawk pads were at keeping dust down on my prior 997s and BMW.

I emailed them to ask about it and got a short answer. At least there may be a solution for S models before too much longer:

Thanks for contacting us. We are currently working on the pads for the S models. We should hopefully have them ready early next year.

....[name deleted]....
Customer Service Representative
Hawk Performance
Carlisle Brake & Friction
6180 Cochran Road
Solon, Ohio 44139
I installed the Carbotech 1521 pads on my PCar last December. I have 98% less dust vs. the OEM pads. I have noticed a slight different in stopping but not enough to switch back to the OEM pads. Overall I'm happy with the switch.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

You can get the centrics from tire rack for about $130 for all four corners. They are the stock pad btw. Same as you get from your dealer for a lot more.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
I installed the Carbotech 1521 pads on my PCar last December. I have 98% less dust vs. the OEM pads. I have noticed a slight different in stopping but not enough to switch back to the OEM pads. Overall I'm happy with the switch.
Now this one has me especially interested. I see they are a ceramic/kevlar-based compound. A web search shows quite a few Porsches and Vettes happily using these from both a performance and dusting point-of-view.

Thanks Sid!

Anyone else liking or disliking these? (Although it seems impossible to get any unanimous votes on these forums!) I've looked over all of the other posts here I can find on these... so I think they are looking good. I might pull the trigger on these Monday while my rotors are relatively new.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Gil J Walker
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I must be using this stuff wrong i found it to be ok not great.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Maybe something is different on the Q7 version, maybe the rotor material isn't as compatible with the pads, or maybe the Q7's nearly 5000 pound weight just pushes things a bit too far. Even my 2002 SuperCab pickup truck weighs hundreds of pounds less than that!
Nothing special about the Q7 brake system and the stockers stop the truck great. The Hawks suck and when they're dead cold, they're scary bad. When I was looking for a dustless pad, I read horrible reviews about the Hawks on the web but I disregarded them because I was so desperate for a dustless pad for that truck, as it spews sooo much dust. Even a local Indy shop told me they were junk and not to do it. I didn't listen. Very expensive mistake on my part.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:30 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had Hawk Ceramics briefly on a BMW X5 and I thought they were terrible. I replaced them with Centric Posi-Quiets and loved them. Now I have them on three different cars, including my 911, and have always been happy with their performance and lack of dust.

Quick Reply: An FYI for those wishing for Hawk Ceramic brake pads...