Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:09 PM
TPC Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 991 Carrera: Diagnosing & Solving Rear Instability

991 Carrera
Correcting Rear Instability with Elephant Racing Monoballs

This 991 Carrera served as a TPC Racing/DSC Sport development car for a variety of track mods, most notably the development of the DSC Sport V2 Controller for the late model Porsches. It has withstood heavy track and street testing/use over the last three years, offering great performance on track without sacrificing its streetability. During its development stage, the car was fitted with the following mods:

TPC Racing Pro Race Adjustable Sway Bars
DSC Sport V2 Controller
• Eibach Lowering Springs (to achieve desired camber settings)
• Track Alignment

When it was time for TPC Racing to purchase our 991.2 Carrera for development, the 991.1 was sold to a local customer. Not long after the sale, the car began to exhibit rear instability issues. So much so that it was noticeable on street driving; let alone track.
We knew that it was a great setup during its time as a development car, so we set it up on the lift where we were quickly and easily able to diagnose the problem. See the video/photos below for diagnosis and solution.

(Those Porsche engineers play some mean old tricks at the factory sometimes)

The car was also featured on display this past weekend at the PCA Open House 2016 event.

After driving the car back to the shop down some notoriously windy, bumpy, off camber roads I felt compelled to write up my own (very bias) review of the car:

“The TPC/DSC 991 Carrera was an absolute dream to drive – the type of car that makes you want to take the long way home (just don't tell my boss). It’s incredibly precise and responsive. It stays perfectly flat and planted in 90° corners at speed, yet makes you feel as though you’re suspended in a cradle as you crash over bumps, dips, hills, and undulations at 60+ mph speeds (seriously hope he's not reading this). I was particularly impressed with its ability to maintain grip and composure on bumpy, off camber, decreasing radius corners without ever putting any amount of stress on me as the driver.”

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera: Diagnosing & Solving Rear Instability