Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap 991.1 multi-fn wheel with 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:48 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Swap 991.1 multi-fn wheel with 991.2?

Anyone successfully swap their multi-function heated 991.1 wheel with a 991.2 multi-function heated wheel? Suncoast wasn't sure whether it would work or not. They thought it might since the car is already programmed to accept a multi-fn wheel. My dealer hasn't done a swap either and could only find one attempt that was unsuccesful on the forum. Curious if anyone got it to work. I love the features of the 991.1 multi-fn wheel but really don't like the buttons.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:57 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter100
Anyone successfully swap their multi-function heated 991.1 wheel with a 991.2 multi-function heated wheel? Sun-coast wasn't sure whether it would work or not. They thought it might since the car is already programmed to accept a multi-fn wheel. My dealer hasn't done a swap either and could only find one attempt that was unsuccessful on the forum. Curious if anyone got it to work. I love the features of the 991.1 multi-fn wheel but really don't like the buttons.
Hi..yes I am the unsuccessful attempt to do the swap. This the one you are talking about correct? I got the 991.2 GT wheel w/multi-fxn from Suncoast in July and took it to my dealership to swap with a few other mods. [search for my post on the forum which explains this under 991.1 S Upgrades]. Wheel itself mounts fine. No issues with that. Works as any other OEM wheel goes. However when the Porsche technician working on my car tried to program the multifxn controls/map them to the new 991.2 wheel it would not work. He was unable to get the car to accept programming of the new wheel so therefore all the buttons and the roller fxn for moving thru the menus via the thumb-wheels would not program to work with the 991.1 multifxn interface in the car on the PWITS2 system. It wouldn't let him go any further. He speculated that he would need a software update from Porsche for it to work since the wheel was obviously made for the 991.2 cars. They also asked around a bit and went into the weeds and there is a different multi-fxn control box that links to the 991.2 wheel as a separate part he discovered. With that part, he suspects the wheel will work and communicate and pair the 991.2 multifxn wheel buttons with the vehicle itself but they quoted my a price of $1200 approx for that module so I passed at that point.

Hopefully someone will figure it out later and get it [additional interface module] and get it to work. Until then I got a 991.2 wheel without the multifxn control and got the sports design steering stalk to install so I can control my menus/additional controls and yet also appreciate the improved design/aesthetics of the 991.2 wheel and cockpit to a degree. Good luck.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Swap 991.1 multi-fn wheel with 991.2?