Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightmare. Would you fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,101 Posts

I'd just fill it with touch up. 3 weeks you won't see it.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:16 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,026 Posts

You definitely need to fix this damage. Because every time you get in your car, you will notice it and it will take some enjoyment from your life - every single day....little by little until you hate your car.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:17 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

You need this. Hides your problem and prevents new ones!

Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree, do not get the door (or more) repainted. I have had worse done to one of my cars and in my case (and yours) the position of the damage is an advantage. It's low and the roughest damage is an edge. It's easier to camouflage a defect there.

You need to find a qualified retoucher who can do a blend with an airbrush. The difference between a paint gun and the airbrush is the airbrush can do a blend and work in much smaller areas. Many painters don't know how to do this.

In my case I got damage on the lip of my fender on my 993 from debris thrown up from the road. I hooked up with a master painter/retoucher who mentored me on the process so I could do it myself. I filled and primed the area then got touch up paint from the dealer and used it in the airbrush. I carefully sprayed the minimum area I could get away with and blended the new paint around the curve of the fender lip. I actually sprayed and then removed the paint with solvent several times until I was happy. I then blended some clear onto it. Any imperfections that remain are near impossible to see from the angle and shadow line of the location. After a claying and wax it was near perfect. Certainly better than a painted fender would have been. The repair has lasted since 2004! The damaged area was in the middle of the picture shown.

So my point is find a retoucher. Typically places that restore or resell high end classic cars will have someone who can do this work. You have nothing to lose. Start with the most minimally invasive process first.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:40 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

OMG you have a 1" scratch on the bottom portion of your door. You NEED to flat tow it to a shop, have the car sanded down to bare metal and repaint the entire thing.

If that doesn't work go ahead and total it.

That dealer is crazy.

You can either fix that yourself or find another detail guy that will repair it for you. I am sure that if you (or someone else) repairs just that scratch you will still be able to see it if you know where it is and look for it. The rest of the world will never know and you will forget about it.

I returned from AX to find a nice chip in my door. My car is black so I grabbed some black finger nail polish and dabbed it in the chip. Let it dry and polished it smooth. I forgot all about it until the other day. Even knowing where the chip was it took me a while to find it and I had to get to just the right angle. Same thing happened coming home from work, I heard the hit but it took me a couple of days to find the chip. Something struck the top on my car and left not one but two nice chips. Once again a little black finger nail polish and it instantly became much more difficult to see. Still need to polish those down a bit to get them smoother.

Your damage is more severe but still, its a car, we drive them on the road, little things happen. Once you accept that, you should be able to fix it or have it fixed to your satisfaction and continue to enjoy your ride.

If I were buying a used Porsche (and I have) and it had similar damage (it did) I would be FAR less concerned about that little chip fix than I would had the entire side of the car been repainted.

Good luck and drive on.

PS - I would not suggest to use finger nail polish. I just had some on hand from my daughter and thought I'd give it a shot and it worked great but I would definitely recommend actual Porsche touch up paint.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:14 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

I thank everyone for their responses. It looks like I need to find a better touch up person. So that is what I'm off to do. I'll post with an update and hopefully a satisfactory result. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:27 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
OMG you have a 1" scratch on the bottom portion of your door. You NEED to flat tow it to a shop, have the car sanded down to bare metal and repaint the entire thing.

If that doesn't work go ahead and total it.

That dealer is crazy.

You can either fix that yourself or find another detail guy that will repair it for you. I am sure that if you (or someone else) repairs just that scratch you will still be able to see it if you know where it is and look for it. The rest of the world will never know and you will forget about it.

I returned from AX to find a nice chip in my door. My car is black so I grabbed some black finger nail polish and dabbed it in the chip. Let it dry and polished it smooth. I forgot all about it until the other day. Even knowing where the chip was it took me a while to find it and I had to get to just the right angle. Same thing happened coming home from work, I heard the hit but it took me a couple of days to find the chip. Something struck the top on my car and left not one but two nice chips. Once again a little black finger nail polish and it instantly became much more difficult to see. Still need to polish those down a bit to get them smoother.

Your damage is more severe but still, its a car, we drive them on the road, little things happen. Once you accept that, you should be able to fix it or have it fixed to your satisfaction and continue to enjoy your ride.

If I were buying a used Porsche (and I have) and it had similar damage (it did) I would be FAR less concerned about that little chip fix than I would had the entire side of the car been repainted.

Good luck and drive on.

PS - I would not suggest to use finger nail polish. I just had some on hand from my daughter and thought I'd give it a shot and it worked great but I would definitely recommend actual Porsche touch up paint.
sure, the finger nail polish is your daughters...
Old 09-14-2016, 07:22 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

I had the same problem and there is a solution.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:27 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Your Porsche certified shop should be able to sand the entire door jam, repaint it with an air-brush, then air brush over it with clear with hardeners. Then they bake it-you'll be 99.9% perfect and won't have to paint any panels.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:28 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Name:  photo272.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  994.3 KBName:  photo119.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  909.0 KBName:  photo928.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  964.8 KB
Old 09-14-2016, 09:15 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

I would definitely fix that, but would not paint half the car. I think that a good body shop should be able to paint only the door, but I understand that matching would be difficult.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
I thank everyone for their responses. It looks like I need to find a better touch up person. So that is what I'm off to do. I'll post with an update and hopefully a satisfactory result. Thanks again.
I would get it fixed, too...good luck!
Old 09-14-2016, 10:31 AM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a question...when is it 'correct' to repaint a panel on a small gash? i'm asking because i have 2 less than 1 inch gashes on the rear quarter panel (one above the wheel well at the curve) that i acquired from an ill-placed bike that fell on the car. of course the paint is scratched and there is a small dent. took it to reputable collision guy and got a quote for $1600 with the paint match, etc. i want to do it right but also don't want to spend a ton. advice?
Old 09-14-2016, 12:16 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't help you now, but this makes a strong case to have full doors xpel'd. Cheap way to avoid these minor inconveniences, or at least lessen the damage.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by twlai

how about some protective rubber to cover it?

https://www.amazon.com/Molding-Prote...0QEH37Z02EAW3N
Originally Posted by go.illini
You need this. Hides your problem and prevents new ones!

This could be a bannable offense.

Quick Reply: Nightmare. Would you fix this?