Sponsored by:

Thanks Rennlist for DIY oil change instructions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:05 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks Rennlist for DIY oil change instructions

Just changed my oil and wow, that was the most straightforward oil change ever, on any car I've owned. Basically followed the DIY instructions and job done! I even multitasked while I waited for the oil to drain. Grilled some chicken and threw a load of laundry into the washer. When I changed the oil on my 993, it took my full attention for 2 hours and I always spilled. I wonder what the mechanics do while changing the oil on a 991- surf the internet, have a smoke, do 5 other oil changes at the same time?

I plan to take my car to the dealer for the intermediate service but plan to do as much as I can myself prior to bringing it in(oil change, air filter, brake fluid flush, etc.)

Of note, the car was serviced in October at the dealer and when I removed the drain plug, it had 2 crush washers. Really?!?
Old 09-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, pretty idiot proof. One caveat though which I plan to do on next one after intermediate one a dealer. When the drain plug first drops I'll raise up the catch pan. Last time it splashed and made a wee mess. Tech didn't look at plug and just threw the new washer on. Won't hurt anything but I'd tell them.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:21 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Also, make sure you fully seat the hex key in the drain plug when removing or you might spin it and have to use a "reverse threaded screw extractor" to get it out. You know how I know.

Quick Reply: Thanks Rennlist for DIY oil change instructions