Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016 | 09:05 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Thank you for sharing your astute observations.
How many miles do you have driving 991s? Oh sorry you did a 30 min test ride in a.2. You MUST be the authority here! Ive owned 3 and have 40k miles between the 3 cars. If you want to pay me for my time, ill elaborate. Some of us have better things to do than spend hours telling strangers how excited they are with what they may or may not buy one day. In my "astute" opinion the .2 was good enough to trade out of a GTS. Im tired of reading the same people rip a car they have never driven for more than 30 min. Somehow they are the experts? Sorry for not agreeing with those astute opinions.
Old 09-24-2016 | 10:19 PM
Geiss
Instructor

It's simply a matter of personal preference. One might prefer the .1 and another might prefer the .2. I've never driven the .2, I'm sure I'll love it, but I really wanted to experience the NA engine before this chapter in history closes. Would I prefer the .2 as a DD, yes, but that's not why i bought it.

To state the obvious, there is no right or wrong preference between the .1 and the .2.
Old 09-24-2016 | 10:44 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

If your planing on tracking I would say the .1 is probably the better choice. Turbos tend to heat soak after a couple of laps and the performance drops off dramatically. If your dd than its a non issue.
Old 09-25-2016 | 01:17 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I think this is pretty much standard practice for car dealers. I would be surprised if they didn't lie.
First off, not true. I've dealt with many who are stand up people, STG has a lot of them linked into his HFS thread for example.

Secondly, not like this. Don't want to take this any more OT, so will stop here but believe me they're known for being unscrupulous as for years they had zero competition.
Old 09-25-2016 | 02:18 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris C.
First off, not true. I've dealt with many who are stand up people, STG has a lot of them linked into his HFS thread for example.

Secondly, not like this. Don't want to take this any more OT, so will stop here but believe me they're known for being unscrupulous as for years they had zero competition.
very good point, if it's the only Porsche/Merc dealer in your city for at least 200 miles, they're probably going to act like it.
Old 09-25-2016 | 08:34 PM
PORSCHEwoody
8th Gear

Are you sure about saving 40% on a 15 or 16 CPO?
Old 09-25-2016 | 08:35 PM
PORSCHEwoody
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ggreg911
How many miles do you have driving 991s? Oh sorry you did a 30 min test ride in a.2. You MUST be the authority here! Ive owned 3 and have 40k miles between the 3 cars. If you want to pay me for my time, ill elaborate. Some of us have better things to do than spend hours telling strangers how excited they are with what they may or may not buy one day. In my "astute" opinion the .2 was good enough to trade out of a GTS. Im tired of reading the same people rip a car they have never driven for more than 30 min. Somehow they are the experts? Sorry for not agreeing with those astute opinions.
Old 09-25-2016 | 09:08 PM
Dude174
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And therein lines one of the big tradeoffs of the .2 that did not exist on the .1
I'm with ya on not going pse bc of the ugly "somewhat but not quite" center arrangement of the tailpipes. I'll just go standard exhaust and put an xpipe on it. 1/2 the price of pse too.

I've thought all along I would go with S, but after all these reviews I'm seriously thinking of going with the 4 like you. Disclosure: I have yet to test drive any .2, current ride is .1S
Old 09-25-2016 | 10:25 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Guess I'm one of the very few that actually like the placement of the PSE exhaust tips.
Old 09-25-2016 | 11:16 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ggreg911
How many miles do you have driving 991s? Oh sorry you did a 30 min test ride in a.2. You MUST be the authority here! Ive owned 3 and have 40k miles between the cars. If you want to pay me for my time, ill elaborate. Some of us have better things to do than spend hours telling strangers how excited they are with what they may or may not buy one day. In my "astute" opinion the .2 was good enough to trade out of a GTS. Im tired of reading the same people rip a car they have never driven for more than 30 min. Somehow they are the experts? Sorry for not agreeing with those astute opinions.
Lighten up Francis.

Never claimed to be an Authority of any sort, and certainly not on a brand never owned. I'm simply sharing my opinions. Nothing more or nothing less. I'm certainly no expert but I am obsessive and very particular about cars. Since my initial decision to get a 2017 911 a couple months back, I've driven the following 991.2 variants:
-Base 7MT
-C2S 7MT
-C2S PDK
-C4S PDK SPASM

I've also obsessed about it--like, I'm sure, many of you on this forum--reading and watching most everything that I could find on the subject.

I've even sent messages to four automotive journalists seeking their feedback on a decision between base 991.2 and 991 GTS. Two never replied. One said "easy choice, 997 GTS" (Jason Camissa). The other suggested 991 GTS (Guido aka The GetAwayer).

For me, turbo lag was an issue with the 7MT, particularly on the S. If I were buying an automatic this time around I would have gone with a 2017 C4S with little hesitation.

In the end, I made a personal decision and chose the 2016 GTS; 80 percent for its power-plant and 20 percent for its nice hips without having to get a 4.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 09-25-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2016 | 11:23 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Congrats on your new ride. You really can't go wrong with any of the options you considered.
Old 09-25-2016 | 11:33 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

I've had a few good experiences with them - Porsche-Scottsdale. Fingers crossed!
Originally Posted by Geiss
very good point, if it's the only Porsche/Merc dealer in your city for at least 200 miles, they're probably going to act like it.
There is now a Porsche dealership in Chandler, AZ and there is also one in Tuscon now so maybe that has helped along with the increase of internet purchasing - buyers will vote with their feet.
Old 09-26-2016 | 01:31 AM
RONGLOS
Racer

I'd avoid Porsche of Scottsdale like the plague. Purchased a GT3 from them a few years back and their business practices were borderline fraudulent (they lied to cover up paint work). YMMV but...
Ellis Brooks never gave me my 5 lbs of coffee either. You are probably too young to get this or not a native of the Bay Area.
Old 09-26-2016 | 04:39 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Guess I'm one of the very few that actually like the placement of the PSE exhaust tips.
I prefer the centre location as well
Old 09-27-2016 | 01:27 AM
planet
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
If I were buying an automatic this time around I would have gone with a 2017 C4S with little hesitation.

Quick Reply: Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer