Sponsored by:

991.2 Review in European Car Mag

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 07:05 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Right, but from reading rkwfxd's post it looked like he was saying those things are included in the C2S.
Sorry to mislead. That was not my intention at all. When I spec the two cars out with the options I want on both the difference is $17,000 and I get all the of the features I listed on the S for that money.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:40 AM
pawnstar
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

99% of drivers do not have the skills to meet, let alone, exceed, the performance potential of the base 991.2 Carrera. Pro and Semi-Pro/AM drivers account for the remaining 1%. All other stuff is clever marketing and gamesmanship.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:09 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pawnstar
99% of drivers do not have the skills to meet, let alone, exceed, the performance potential of the base 991.2 Carrera.
I think a couple of things need to be added to this often expressed notion. First, the 99% you refer to know they don't have those skills and, even though they could, don't care to learn them.

Pro and Semi-Pro/AM drivers account for the remaining 1%.
While this may be true, on the way to achieving those skills, these guys, probably, destroyed more cars than you can count. Which, I think, explains why the other 99% don't care to learn those skills.

All other stuff is clever marketing and gamesmanship.
True nuff
Old 09-02-2016, 05:32 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

99% of drivers do not have the skills to meet, let alone, exceed, the performance potential of the base 991.2 Carrera. Pro and Semi-Pro/AM drivers account for the remaining 1%. All other stuff is clever marketing and gamesmanship.
Damn...I guess we all should be driving Camrys.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:35 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That is true of 99.99% of the "sporty" cars as well... did a couple of hot laps in a Camaro with an instructor and I know that I will never get close to that performance, but still prefer to drive my car vs a Camaro... And wouldn't say no to an additional 100hp if they came free...
Old 09-02-2016, 06:04 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by verstraete
I purchased a MT 991.2 S with the only extra cost option present being a sunroof. I could have purchased a base model with more options for the same price, which with a discount, was right at my price point roughly 100k. I preferred more power and torque to more creature comforts. The more I drive it, the more am I convinced that I made the correct decision, for me and my preferences.
Just curious, did you try the base motor with 7MT? If so, how did you feel about it?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:49 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Just curious, did you try the base motor with 7MT? If so, how did you feel about it?
The question was not directed at me but I would like to respond.

I've driven a 991.2S w/7MT on a track and a 991.2 Base w/pdk on the street.

Obviously the "S" is noticeably faster - even with the 7MT. But $14K faster? Nope - at least not for me. The "S" is the same displacement engine with a little more boost which means more stress per liter in addition to more HP which questions the longevity of the engine as compared to the base (to me). Also, the S is just a profit generator for Porsche for the people who want a badge. (IMO). How costly is it to increase boost? Zero. Granted the turbos are a bit bigger but big deal. Huge profit margin for Porsche. Good for them.

The base Carrera is just fantastic. This car exceeds super car status from the 80s (which is the decade I was growing up in and had posters of 930s on my wall). Even in this decade, there are very very few cars that can beat it. The car is truly unbelievable. The Base 991.2 which is faster than a 991.1 GTS is not like the Base 991.1 so don't get confused.

If you are not tracking your car and you want a 911 that is just fantastic, the base model is for you. If you want a "badge" and the bragging rights "if I could take this on a track I could......." then the S or GT3 is for you.

On normal street driving, you will still end up in jail with the Base......by a long shot. What more do you need unless you are racing in the Le Mans?

Just my opinion of course.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:02 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by subshooter
The question was not directed at me but I would like to respond. I've driven a 991.2S w/7MT on a track and a 991.2 Base w/pdk on the street. Obviously the "S" is noticeably faster - even with the 7MT. But $14K faster? Nope - at least not for me. The "S" is the same displacement engine with a little more boost which means more stress per liter in addition to more HP and a huge profit margin for Porsche. The base Carrera is just fantastic. This car exceeds super car status from the 80s (which is the decade I was growing up in and had posters of 930s on my wall). Even in this decade, there are very very few cars that can beat it. The car is truly unbelievable. The Base 991.2 which is faster than a 991.1 GTS is not like the Base 991.1 so don't get confused. If you are not tracking your car and you want a 911 that is just fantastic, the base model is for you. If you want a "badge" and the bragging rights "if I could take this on a track I could......." then the S or GT3 is for you. On normal street driving, you will still end up in jail with the Base......by a long shot. What more do you need unless you are racing in the Le Mans? Just my opinion of course.
No one asked you. I still want the S.

LOL. Kidding of course.

You make some very valid points and at the end of the day my wallet might "force" me to "settle" for base.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
No one asked you. I still want the S.

LOL. Kidding of course.

You make some very valid points and at the end of the day my wallet might "force" me to "settle" for base.

LOL. I still want the 918 Spyder but I am going to settle for a 981S and a 991.2 (S or base). Where does it end?
Old 09-02-2016, 07:13 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ggreg911
Damn...I guess we all should be driving Camrys.
LOL
Old 09-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

While I liked the base I test drove, the idea that you can't use the additional power on the street without going to jail is nonsense. Usually people who say that never owned a big hp car before. You can absolutely have tons of fun with it. Need it? Of course not, but who 'needs' any $100k+ sports car in the first place.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:56 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Turning into a fantastic thread!

Okay let me pose my dilemma in a different way.
You wake up early one beautiful, crisp, sunny fall morning somewhere out in the back country with amazing roads for driving. Parked in your driveway are three 991.2s.

All three are equipped exactly the same way with 7MT, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Ceramic Composite Brakes, Sport Exhaust System, Sport Chrono Package, and similar non-performance options.

Base
-No Performance Options Available

C4 Options
-Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)

C4S Options
-Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) including PASM Sport Suspension
-Rear Axel Steering

They are all free so money is no object and you can only choose one car and you will drive it for the rest of your life.

Question: Which car do you select if you most highly value pure fun factor around those back country roads with little regard to which car is fastest 0-60 or quarter mile or whatever? By the way, the weather in this perfect world is always dry and warm.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

C4S no question.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:41 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

C4S
Old 09-02-2016, 09:42 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I would take the C4S no question.....for the bragging rights

No really I would go with the C4S because it has all those handling goodies like my C2S does and the car just blows my mind how it gets around curves.

That said, I would probably go about the same speed in any of the three cars because on public roads the pace you can go depends more on safety concerns than outright performance, although there are certain instances where you can push it a bit and still be safe but not very often.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Review in European Car Mag