Sponsored by:

Targa's fluids top off and engine access question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:11 AM
ctporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Targa's fluids top off and engine access question

This is probably common knowledge for Targa owners (with owner's manual handy) - how do you access the engine compartment's top plastic cover (with fans)? Basically, I'm wondering if there is a "service position" for the big rear glass panel that lifts up when opening/closing the roof. I was looking at a Targa 4S yesterday and no position of the glass panel seemed comfortable for topping off fluids or accessing the engine compartment's cover with fans. Perhaps there is some sequence or menu option to lift the panel allowing better access (?)
Old 08-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

On the drivers side door sill, there is a button to have the glass only (no roof movement) swing back to the far back position. I am thinking that's the best access you are going to get...but likely still awkward.

That same functionality is also great for stowing stuff in the back seat area.....oftentimes easier than cramming stuff between B pillar and seats.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:59 AM
ctporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
On the drivers side door sill, there is a button to have the glass only (no roof movement) swing back to the far back position. I am thinking that's the best access you are going to get...but likely still awkward.

That same functionality is also great for stowing stuff in the back seat area.....sometimes easier than cramming stuff between B pillar and seats.
Thanks. Yes, that's what I tried, but the glass panel's position seemed obtrusive, so I hoped there would be another trick/setting. A McLaren mechanic, who is also Porsche certified, said that there may be something with removing pins on the arms of the mechanism to tilt the glass panel, allowing better access, but he did not know the details.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Probably similar to my cabriolet. The access is a little tight, but the coolant cap and oil cap are pretty easy to access. The oil is the easiest.

For the coolant, it's kind of hard to get your head in there and see the bobber. You'll need a small flashlight or the light on your iPhone.

Fasttr accurately describes the button to use.

Quick Reply: Targa's fluids top off and engine access question