Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do after an accident...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:57 PM
venval
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 Month old car + tree falling onto roadway = a few minor scratches, but a warped and bent aluminum frunk hood. I almost wish it was my fault but it was literally an act of god, tree falls onto the roadway 30 feet in front of me at 50mph. Porsche approved collision shop wants to put on and paint a new hood, but they also want to blend the paint into the fender (GT silver). I am nervous about this part (blending into the fender) and it's a brand new car built in April/may. Do I let them blend the paint into the fender or not? Also the estimate is for $2,700 is that reasonable? The other alternative is a paintless dentrepair but he suggested it will never be perfect because the aluminum is stretched. Thanks all.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:27 PM
venval
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures

Before

Aftre
Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear about your incident.

The very first thing to do is to take photos from several different angles in good lighting showing what is and what isn't damaged and keep them. Later buyers will see the Carfax report and will wonder about the true extent of the damage before any painting is done. They might worry that the repaint could hide something more extensive than you've reported... so its a good idea to show them the true extent before repairs.

As for blending, I had the deck lid changed on my prior 997 and it required painting. The paint shop wanted to do a blend which makes their job of getting a match easier. I asked them to take a crack at it doing their best to get the match right without a blend and they nailed it so it wasn't possible to tell any difference in the panels. Also FYI, in my Arctic Silver case they showed me samples of three different sub-variations, all with the same Arctic Silver paint code but with minor part number differences. Before painting we compared all three outside in good lighting against the current paint on the car and picked the one that was the closest (they were all close but slightly different). I don't know if they'll have such variations for your color though, it would be good to ask.

As with all anecdotal advice like mine though, your results may vary. Myself I would ask them to try it first without a blend as long as they would agree to come back and make another blending pass if that didn't work out. I imagine the insurance company would agree to this... but you'd have to ask your company. I've had problems with the edges of the blend on other cars when blending has been attempted.

I wouldn't even begin to consider paintless dent repair on this one based upon your description. It sounds like it is likely the aluminum and the paint probably bent too far. I would worry about the paint cracking later and aluminum doesn't like to bend back as flawlessly as steel.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:47 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 92 Posts

I agree pictures are a required. Usually Porsche dealers know the best collision shops and you should follow their recommendations. Cost should not be your comcern. Your insurance company will pay after your deductible.Good collision shops would have no problem blending the paint.

FWIW, if you leased the car the damage is irrelevant.

Quick Reply: What to do after an accident...