Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport exhaust backfiring and farting

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Put sport on, PSE off. The valves will open anyway on hard acceleration and you'll get no pops on decel.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:56 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps I missed something, just switch the PSE off
Old 08-22-2016, 12:00 AM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Put sport on, PSE off. The valves will open anyway on hard acceleration and you'll get no pops on decel.
The second you let off the throttle, the valves will still remain open for a split second and let some pops through.

Originally Posted by randr
He says he likes the aggressive sound, but not the pops and cracks.

I personally love it. I think it's totally bearable since it only lasts for 0.5-1 second after you let off the throttle. It doesn't continue to pop and crackle after that.

Also, someone mentioned that this only happens in "Sport Plus" and that isn't accurate. Sport and Sport Plus have the same exact mapping for exhaust overrun and don't have any difference in the amount of pops and burbles. We had a huge thread on this a couple of years ago. (I'm unsure if this changed for the 991.2, though).
Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
The second you let off the throttle, the valves will still remain open for a split second and let some pops through).
Doesn't do it on my .1S or my Spyder.

Again though, I think the decel noise on the .1 is very different and less farty than the .2
Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Porsche are following in the footsteps of the Jag F Type with this.

The F type has offers (for want of a better word) the best FART per dollar around. If you're into farts obviously

The jury is out with me as I have another 10 days or so before I pick up my C2S-Gen2 with PSE.

I'll probably enjoy it most of the time but switch off Sport and PSE around my neighbourhood.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:40 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
If the desire is to keep the system off, why add the option to the car to begin with?

I guess to each their own of course. Some love the sound. Some car reviewers think the car is absolutely silent without it. (I think that's a stretch).
Old 08-22-2016, 12:43 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,055 Likes on 531 Posts

I get compliments on my .2 with PSE all the time. People LOVE the pops and gurgles. I do too.

I love it so much, I stay away from sport plus. lol.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:50 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
If the desire is to keep the system off, why add the option to the car to begin with? I guess to each their own of course. Some love the sound. Some car reviewers think the car is absolutely silent without it. (I think that's a stretch).
The reason is because if you have PSE, you can still get the great sound on acceleration if you want, even with it off. Without PSE, it's quiet all the time.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:51 AM
Senna01
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Some car reviewers think the car is absolutely silent without it. (I think that's a stretch).
Most .1 'ers also think the car is silent.
Who knew 911's can also play the part of a Rolls Royce
Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, one of the sales guy during my search insist that's what poeple wants to hear, crackling and farting sound....lol...so I passed on PSE after that and never made it a requirement.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:24 AM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Doesn't do it on my .1S or my Spyder.

Again though, I think the decel noise on the .1 is very different and less farty than the .2

Interesting. I may be wrong, but I'll pay attention during my commute tomorrow and see what happens.

Fun Fact: Even if you close the valves but have Sport or Sport Plus enabled, you still get backfire and small burbles. They're obviously not as noticeable as the gunfire you hear with the valves open, but it's there.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:25 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the backfiring sound
Old 08-22-2016, 01:43 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

The farting and backfiring are great ............ as long as you're the only one that can hear it.

Poor form around town. Leave that to the Subarus.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna01
Porsche are following in the footsteps of the Jag F Type with this.

The F type has offers (for want of a better word) the best FART per dollar around. If you're into farts obviously

The jury is out with me as I have another 10 days or so before I pick up my C2S-Gen2 with PSE.

I'll probably enjoy it most of the time but switch off Sport and PSE around my neighbourhood.
Interesting you mentioned the Jaguar F. Yesterday I was following a Jaguar Cab F and on acceleration it sounded close to a Ferrari. Yet when he lifted off the throttle the crackling and farting was so noticeable it ruined the affect of the acceleration exhaust. I said to myself that is exactly what my Targa sounds like and it is awful.

I love a sport exhaust and Porsche's is certainly passable. But the farting when lifting off the throttle screams cheap and phony. I'll drive the car with SE engaged but without sport or sport plus. That will take care of the farting and in those situations where sport or sport plus is called for I will engage them. I just hope no one is around to listen because it is embarrassing.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 AM
PorschePaul
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the PSE on my Spyder - farts and all!

Quick Reply: Sport exhaust backfiring and farting