991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First real "issue" with my GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016 | 02:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Dealers won't plug/patch period, for liability reasons and because they want to sell you a new tire (or 2). They know most owners will just pay the money, rather than tow the car somewhere else and patch it.

And I disagree that you can't patch one of these tires due to it being a sports car capable of high speeds. First, for most of us, these are street cars, likely doing top speeds south of 100mph, like 75% percent of the vehicles on the road. Nothing different about us in that regard. Second, if a properly plugged tire fails, it's no different than getting a flat tire, which could happen to you at anytime anyway. It's not like the tire explodes and splits the carcass. If it does that, it shouldn't have been patched in the first place.

IMO, patches make sense on tires that are 40-80% worn, just to allow you avoid having to buy two tires when there's still good life left in the other tire. Absent that, I put a new tire on.
Old 12-01-2016 | 03:59 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
I am not a fan of throwing money away---but having the best tires possible, means zero plugs or patches----

I patched a tire on a 2006 911 c4s---I went for a drive (@65 miles) from Reno to Lake Tahoe---speeds under 80MPH---The patch was in middle of left rear(small screw)....with maybe 2-3 seconds notice(the rear end felt light and detached)....blowout!!!

The car did not lose control---had it happened during a tighter corner---who knows what could have happened--

I replaced the rear rim and tire = $1,780 in 2008----tire alone was $365---

$400-$500 buys peace of mind and a better safety margin----

I also "road bike" i.e. bicycle around 120 miles a week---I have some steep hills to bomb down---hit speeds of @ 50MPH on each ride---I always inspect my tires on my bike (michelins) before each ride for cuts, anything that could impact integrity--tires get replaced---overkill??? maybe, but spending a couple thousand dollars over the span of my life seems like a good use of money to protect me
Thanks everyone for the input.
Based on your thoughts:
I guess a Patch in theory could work but you will never be certain if your circumstances are safe for this Patch method. Plus as stated the dealer will never do it anyway.

I guess your right $400 is a small price to pay for Safety and peace of mind. I won't bother thinking about plugs and patches.

The only downside is that if it happens too frequently, and I keep replacing one tire at a time, it will take forever to get MPSS!
Old 12-01-2016 | 04:15 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

I wouldn't risk a patch on a front tire. If it fails you could loose control at highway speeds. Rear tire is ok. If you drive fast. I'm sure you don't and you purchased your porsche to look at. Than by a new one pronto. Wouldnt want to risk a blowout and get killed. Not worth the savings.
Old 12-01-2016 | 06:33 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

I just picked this up to keep in my go bag.

http://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-p...ubeless-tires/

I rather have a plug in a tire then be stranded on some back country road.

Hopefully I'll never need to use it.
Old 12-01-2016 | 06:58 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Dynaplugs are awesome - ridiculously easy, and they work! No reaming.

http://www.dynaplug.com/videos.html
Old 12-01-2016 | 07:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I just picked this up to keep in my go bag.

http://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-p...ubeless-tires/

I rather have a plug in a tire then be stranded on some back country road.

Hopefully I'll never need to use it.
Just so you know, the slime kit that is in your frunk is a heck of a lot easier to use than a plug kit. If you're stranded and just want to get home, use the slime kit and the pump.
Old 12-01-2016 | 08:38 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Dealers won't plug/patch period, for liability reasons and because they want to sell you a new tire (or 2). They know most owners will just pay the money, rather than tow the car somewhere else and patch it.

And I disagree that you can't patch one of these tires due to it being a sports car capable of high speeds. First, for most of us, these are street cars, likely doing top speeds south of 100mph, like 75% percent of the vehicles on the road. Nothing different about us in that regard. Second, if a properly plugged tire fails, it's no different than getting a flat tire, which could happen to you at anytime anyway. It's not like the tire explodes and splits the carcass. If it does that, it shouldn't have been patched in the first place.

IMO, patches make sense on tires that are 40-80% worn, just to allow you avoid having to buy two tires when there's still good life left in the other tire. Absent that, I put a new tire on.
Totally agree on all points.

I'm a fan of plugs. I off-road a Wrangler in places where there is no other option than to walk out if you get two flats (only carry one spare). So plugging is a way of life. I practice it periodically on some old 19" aftermarket wheels/tires I took off a 996TT I had some years ago. Just to stay in practice! It's quick going -- I can probably do it as fast as I could load the tire up with slime.

Once put 14 plugs in a giant sidewall split on a 35" off-road tire. Sucker held just fine till I got home. (Was not tempted to keep it on there after getting home, though! )
Old 12-04-2016 | 09:32 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

I got a BOLT in mine! Must be pretty soft tires...
Old 12-13-2016 | 09:35 PM
BusDriverBob
Track Day

Got my first puncture after 2 months and 500 miles on my C4S. Called roadside assist who offered a free tow 20 miles to the nearest P dealership who would plug it for $45, or charge $70 to take it to a tire shop 1 mile away who would do it for $10. Ended up calling AAA for a free tow home to plug it myself.
Old 12-13-2016 | 10:03 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BusDriverBob
Got my first puncture after 2 months and 500 miles on my C4S. Called roadside assist who offered a free tow 20 miles to the nearest P dealership who would plug it for $45, or charge $70 to take it to a tire shop 1 mile away who would do it for $10. Ended up calling AAA for a free tow home to plug it myself.
that sucks! My dealer did it the plug for free.....I mean what's $45 on 100k car??!
Old 12-13-2016 | 10:53 PM
BusDriverBob
Track Day

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
that sucks! My dealer did it the plug for free.....I mean what's $45 on 100k car??!
I would have done it, but by the time it would have gotten to the dealership it was closed for the night. It just took less time and effort to just go home.
Old 12-14-2016 | 12:00 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

$45 to put a $1 plug into a tire is just obscene
Old 12-19-2016 | 03:21 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Went to pay a visit to my summer tires in storage which the dealer just recently swapped with my winter tires. Saw another screw in the rear tire, surprised they didn't notice it during the swap, anyhow guess I'll deal with that in the spring.

Looks like 3 X now for me...in 6 months and about 8700 miles.

Hope this does not continue at this rate!

Quick Reply: First real "issue" with my GTS