Sponsored by:

Water Pump Life - 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by HODY905
Is this the "Porsche there is not substitute"? Is this the so finely engineered car that has IMS issues, water pump issues, engines needing to be replaced in the GT3s? What about the 964s that had engines produced with no head gaskets and flywheels that would implode? What about all those 993 engines with the valve guide problems and the clogged SAI problems?
And how bout that new 911 R? What chance do you have of buying that? Oh and the GT3, we weren't given a choice manual or PDK. No, Porsche told us what they wanted us to buy whether we like it or not.

What exactly are we paying for when buying a Porsche? We know they are overpriced, after all Porsche is the most profitable car company. Perhaps we are being romanced in to believing the Porsche brand is something special.
And think how Porsche holds back on the technology so they can install a little bit each and every year and make the previous year car a depreciation nightmare. And who coined the phrase "buy the latest and greatest? Bet that came from Stuggart?

Oh and that new 3.0 liter engine? Guess what, the change was made because China charges a huge surtax on any engine larger than 3.0 and China is Porsche's largest market, not the good old USA! Heavens, don't even think Porsche would produce a NA engine for the rest of the world and a 3.0 turbo for China. Nope, Porsche does what's best for Porsche and then shoves it down our throat and we all think how wonderful Porsche is!

Enjoy!!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
deleted
Old 07-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Doug DeMuro's theory is that "we know these issues because they happen to enthusiasts cars". "Porsche drivers keep their cars going. They fix the big issues. And then they complain on RennList."

http://jalopnik.com/how-the-hell-are...ble-1709270257
Old 07-19-2016, 12:43 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow, someone needs to cut down on the caffeine.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:04 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Without getting too long-winded here, the J.D. Power Survey is largely for new car owners. So the results are for "Initial Quality" and Service.
DeMuro's article is excellent, entertaining, and humorous. But he does fail to remind that the results are measured after the first 90 days of ownership.
Porsche excels at initial quality.
Porsche provides a strong warranty compared to other manufacturers.
Porsche provides a free Porsche loaner to folks visiting their service department (Does Ferrari or Tesla do this?).
What is not to like?
A huge percentage of Porsche owners are folks who lease their car, then turn it in well before the warranty expires. So those folks never experience the "enthusiast woes" of having to then deal with the bride long after the honeymoon.
We enthusiasts gravitate to forums like Rennlist rather than take up golf as an excuse to get out of the house. Rennlist is our "Ask Ann".
Rennlisters can also be tinkerers. They want to see if they can do certain things themselves rather than always rely on outside help. Self-sufficiency is a common virtue here.
And though various Porsches seem to have some expensive issues from time to time, it is because they are expensive cars, regardless of your entry point.
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Just be thankful you are on the 991 Forum and not the 928 Forum.

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread - "Water Pump - the other shoe has yet to fall? Worrying about something that apparently hasn't happened, when we fully expected it to happen, but it hasn't, ... yet. But could it?"
Old 07-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug DeMuro's theory is that "we know these issues because they happen to enthusiasts cars...So I’d say that Porsches are more reliable than most other cars, Murray."

Mr. DeMuro is another victim of causal fallacy.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Without getting too long-winded here, the J.D. Power Survey is largely for new car owners. So the results are for "Initial Quality" and Service.
DeMuro's article is excellent, entertaining, and humorous. But he does fail to remind that the results are measured after the first 90 days of ownership.
Porsche excels at initial quality.
Porsche provides a strong warranty compared to other manufacturers.
Porsche provides a free Porsche loaner to folks visiting their service department (Does Ferrari or Tesla do this?).
What is not to like?
A huge percentage of Porsche owners are folks who lease their car, then turn it in well before the warranty expires. So those folks never experience the "enthusiast woes" of having to then deal with the bride long after the honeymoon.
We enthusiasts gravitate to forums like Rennlist rather than take up golf as an excuse to get out of the house. Rennlist is our "Ask Ann".
Rennlisters can also be tinkerers. They want to see if they can do certain things themselves rather than always rely on outside help. Self-sufficiency is a common virtue here.
And though various Porsches seem to have some expensive issues from time to time, it is because they are expensive cars, regardless of your entry point.
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Just be thankful you are on the 991 Forum and not the 928 Forum.

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread - "Water Pump - the other shoe has yet to fall? Worrying about something that apparently hasn't happened, when we fully expected it to happen, but it hasn't, ... yet. But could it?"
J.D. Power also has a "dependability" report, which I believe tracks the model year by 3 years.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-vds

Pretty awesome that Porsche is second right now, right after Lexus.

I've only owned my P for 4 months, but no issues. I've been on these forums for about a year and I rarely see complaints about the 991. Pretty happy to own one of the more reliable sports cars out there.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

JD Power and similar surveys are completely worthless. They make no distinction between a dropped Bluetooth connection and a spun main bearing.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled angst.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

JD Power sent me a fresh & crisp one dollar bill to fill out their survey.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
JD Power and similar surveys are completely worthless. They make no distinction between a dropped Bluetooth connection and a spun main bearing.
To think they could equate mere engine problems to dropping your important conversation!

Im all seriousness though, if the engine blows up under warrenty, you just have to live without the thing for awhile, but if the infotainment sucks and drops calls or the music connection or whatever it's probably not getting fixed ever and you have to live with it.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
LOL!
Old 07-19-2016, 08:23 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

According to Suncoast, the water pump on the 991 is the same as the one on the 09+ 997. I've got about 30k miles on mine with around 60 track days and no issues so far. i'm planning on changing it when I get around to the major service.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:49 AM
boar51
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brought my 14' 991 in for a service and the they found the water pump to be leaking. its right around 21K miles and driven regularly. thankfully the warranty covered it
Old 08-06-2018, 08:06 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by HODY905
Sorry for the rant guys!
Well said. I learned some stuff. You are 100% correct.
Thank you.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:43 AM
2000se
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by boar51
brought my 14' 991 in for a service and the they found the water pump to be leaking. its right around 21K miles and driven regularly. thankfully the warranty covered it
Interesting ... I've close to 55K on mine. I will need to make it a point to inspect this now for certain.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Life - 991