Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgeline GT1 Rim Instal - GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016 | 09:59 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Default Forgeline GT1 Rim Instal - GTS

Very pleased to post up some pictures of the Forgeline GT1 rims that I installed last weekend from Competition Motorsports.

Please forgive my high level of praise below for a simple wheel install. I'm not a wrench so any successful dismantling and installation on my GTS feels like summiting at Everest during a winter storm.

I want to thank Jeff Strimel for the producing the you tube video on how to remove and instal the center lock wheels.
I believe I accounted for 65k of the 68k views as I went back and fourth from video to hands on Nice GT3 and nice video production Jeff! Much appreciated

Also want to give a shout out to Larry Cable for the support. This was my first of (hopefully) many solo projects and he helped every step of the way. He is an encyclopedia of everything Porsche and I'm lucky to have met him through these forums and to have him a stones throw away from my town. Larry, you rock..... and I'm pretty sure everyone would agree....even if you are "so over Rennlist!"

Along with Jeff's suggestions in the video I would highly recommend loosening the front center locks just a small amount with the car on the ground. This provides weight to the tires and helps with reducing rotation when loosening and tightening. Those baby's are on solid and the wheel can move quite a bit when you apply the force needed to break them free.

I also learned that wheels are HEAVY and extreme care needs to be applied when the CL is completely off. I was surprised at how much the wheels lower half wanted to jut outward away from the car during removal and installation. I was expecting the top half to fall outward but it was the opposite.

This was a fun project and I'm really pleased with the wheels. Even though the black turbo wheels are a great look it's nice to change it up sometimes. These give the car a completely different personality which was what I was looking for. Grip Performance exponentially increased (probably not rim related but more a result of the Cup 2s)

I plan on having the forgelines on in the summer with Cup 2's and stock turbos with MPSSs on in the winter when the roads get a tad wet here in Nor Cal.

The rim finish is "Transparent Smoke" and they have a different looks from different lighting conditions which the black turbos lacked. Photos are taken in the garage, in light and shadows.

OK rant over. The pics are jumbled like my garage. Enjoy!
Attached Images            
Old 07-14-2016 | 10:00 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Deleted - damn the mobile app!

Last edited by cajerseyboy; 07-14-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2016 | 04:26 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Nice. It's amazing how a set of wheels can totally transform the car. Looks great in the pix, and I am sure it looks much better in real life.
Old 07-15-2016 | 06:58 AM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Love the wheels! Car looks great!
Old 07-15-2016 | 09:17 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by FiveRiversGTS
Nice. It's amazing how a set of wheels can totally transform the car. Looks great in the pix, and I am sure it looks much better in real life.
I have never changed up rims on any of my owned cars before. Your right about the transformation. Feels like a brand new car. Correct on the photos. They don't do the look justice.
Old 07-15-2016 | 09:29 AM
STG
Race Director

They are "wheels" not "rims" Just busting your chops

Looks AMAZING

Larry can be a bad influence $$$$. Your wife may not like your new friend. Nice of him to help. Say hi to him. Thought I saw him on back of a milk carton.
Old 07-15-2016 | 09:46 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by STG
They are "wheels" not "rims" Just busting your chops Looks AMAZING
Hey, I'm in Oakland country Home of Bub Rub and Lil' Sis. Cut me a break!

All kidding aside I found a Wheel shop in Oakland that's been in business since 91. Located on international Blvd. Not a place to take a casual stroll. Think big spinning rims and low riders with hydraulic systems.

I was nervous getting the cup 2's mounted but they had the center lock machine to put them on and the owner who has worked their since he was a kid did them himself. Price as right too. TPMS at $60 each and $75 for mounting all the tires.

All in with 4 cup 2 tires off eBay the wheels and tire installation was $4300.

BTW - I typed "rims" several times on this post. Must be in my blood!
Old 07-15-2016 | 09:50 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

And yes. Larry is the most expensive friend I have ever had!
Old 07-15-2016 | 10:01 AM
STG
Race Director

Please let us know your impressions of the Cup 2's vs. the PZero's or MPSS on street driving when you spend some time with them.

Were the wheels new?? Wondering how you get to $4,300 with tires. Tires alone are like $2,500 right?

Last edited by STG; 07-15-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2016 | 10:07 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by STG
Please let us know your impressions of the Cup 2's vs. the PZero's on street driving when you spend some time with them.
you bet. Headed to Sears point this weekend for some track time as well. In my short time with them they are much better at gripping over the MPSS and "better" (if you would call it that) at delivering road conditions to the driver. Keep you posted after more drive time. 👍
Old 07-15-2016 | 02:46 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Great look and high quality wheels. Have you noticed a difference between these lighter wheels in driving dynamics? You've definitely got a lower unsprung mass.
Old 07-15-2016 | 03:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997s07
Great look and high quality wheels. Have you noticed a difference between these lighter wheels in driving dynamics? You've definitely got a lower unsprung mass.
I did when I switched from the OEM wheels to the Forgeline GA1Rs ... I'm very impressed with Forgeline, easily up there with HRE IMO.
Old 07-15-2016 | 03:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
Please let us know your impressions of the Cup 2's vs. the PZero's or MPSS on street driving when you spend some time with them.

Were the wheels new?? Wondering how you get to $4,300 with tires. Tires alone are like $2,500 right?
I believe the wheels were some demos that Brian @ CMS had on a car... low/no miles and cosmetically 'perfect' ... great deal, if I didnt already have a set I would have been all over these!

But in an attempt to 'save' NA430GTS some cash ... I strongly encouraged him to get them instead!
Old 07-15-2016 | 04:22 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I believe the wheels were some demos that Brian @ CMS had on a car... low/no miles and cosmetically 'perfect' ... great deal, if I didnt already have a set I would have been all over these! But in an attempt to 'save' NA430GTS some cash ... I strongly encouraged him to get them instead!
Yep. Used product but cosmetically great. Got the Cup 2's off eBay for very cheap. Actually, ridiculously cheap.
Old 07-15-2016 | 04:30 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Sweet! Nice work man!

Quick Reply: Forgeline GT1 Rim Instal - GTS