Sponsored by:

License plates

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
I ended up just going with the supplied Porsche mount. Two holes in the front bumper but I like the symmetry.
Originally Posted by 12v Nick
The Skene Design front plate mount works great. Two screws are still required but they're in the lip below rathe that right on the front of the bumper. Most would never even find the holes if you removed the mount.

This is one we did with a custom camera mount attached to it:

Originally Posted by Bacura
Anything but a tow hook off centre mount. Nothing looks worse.
I agree...not a fan of the off center tow hook look. I sucked it up and went with the dflowerz approach and used the supplied Porsche mount. That said, if I had known about the Skene, I would have likely went that route.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:30 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
I agree...not a fan of the off center tow hook look. I sucked it up and went with the dflowerz approach and used the supplied Porsche mount. That said, if I had known about the Skene, I would have likely went that route.
Same here.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

You can try using magnets - I may try this

Old 07-15-2016, 04:58 PM
hjles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
...I keep mine in the passenger footwell. Not sure why anymore.
That's where I keep mine!

I always thought I could try mumbling something about it falling off if stopped. The other day the local law enforcement had a road block set up that I went through -- twice -- checking registration, insurance, etc., and no one said anything, even though I saw them glance down and notice I didn't have a front plate. I honestly thought I was busted, which is why I turned around and went through it again, just to make sure they didn't want to give me a ticket.

Having said that, the off center look just seems wrong to the part of my brain that lines up the loose pencils on my desk so that they are all parallel. I actually purchased the Skene bracket, just never installed it.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:22 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Crap!!! Parked on street in Beverly Hills to do some shopping...gone less than an hour...came back with a dreaded $25 fix-it ticket for no front license!

A bit miffed as it is a hassle. Luckily I already purchased the Skene bracket...but can't find my license plate!!! Lol

Will post a picture once I find that darn thing!!
Old 08-01-2016, 10:04 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelrosario
Crap!!! Parked on street in Beverly Hills to do some shopping...gone less than an hour...came back with a dreaded $25 fix-it ticket for no front license!

A bit miffed as it is a hassle. Luckily I already purchased the Skene bracket...but can't find my license plate!!! Lol

Will post a picture once I find that darn thing!!
Installed...ordered the "medium" size. Was fine. Only issue was drilling hole as I had to use a right angle drill. For me, the best choice of no really good choices...

Old 08-02-2016, 02:41 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 310 Posts

I saw a car this past weekend with the tow hook going thru the front plates - wish I had taken a pic. Have not seen that before.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:57 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Anything but a tow hook off centre mount. Nothing looks worse.
There are advantages however. It takes a couple minutes to mount, can be removed in a few seconds, and of course no drilling. In my case there are high risk areas when I mount the plate, and others when there is virtually no chance of being stopped, in which case the plate comes off.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:57 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Zero Law Enforcement problems here in Wisconsin and Illinois with no front plate and I have personally met with a few Officers over the last three years with Porsches.
I keep the plate and RHO mount in the frunk's and will plead 'dumb' if questioned and show I can get the plate mounted. Let's face it, if the Officer wants to ticket you, he will find something.-Richard
Old 08-04-2016, 09:33 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 277 Posts

I bought the Skene design, but haven't put it on yet. I just keep it in the glove box.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Dennis W
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
Zero Law Enforcement problems here in Wisconsin and Illinois with no front plate and I have personally met with a few Officers over the last three years with Porsches. I keep the plate and RHO mount in the frunk's and will plead 'dumb' if questioned and show I can get the plate mounted. Let's face it, if the Officer wants to ticket you, he will find something.-Richard

Parking at Chicago's O'Hare airport is an almost automatic ticket for no front plate. A toe hook plate works well for this temporary need.

Quick Reply: License plates