Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:30 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS)

Curious - I don't see many Porsche on here or in person with that cyclops camera in the front. (It's pretty odd looking).

Are folks picking this in their option list?

I've narrowed down the car to two companies. Much better pricing! Very happy.

Just about to put down my deposit.

Down to one option - Rear Steering or Not to put Rear Steering.

Would you all give me your opinion? And the opinion on the Adaptive cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS).
Old 07-12-2016, 12:50 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

I have it on my 991TTS and love it!
Old 07-12-2016, 02:14 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

I have it on my Macan. I had it on my 991 4S which I replaced with a demo GTS which didn't have it. Wish it did. It saved my a... recently in the Macan.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:41 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Curious - I don't see many Porsche on here or in person with that cyclops camera in the front. (It's pretty odd looking).

Would you all give me your opinion? And the opinion on the Adaptive cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS).
Are you sure want to follow other cars on the highway??? I think you would prefer to be in the passing lane. I am sure it's a great feature, I liked it on my S55 AMG,

BTW which dealers are you narrowed down to?
How was the NJ contact I sent you?

PM if you prefer.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:08 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Bradley, just so you know, that cyclops thingy is not a camera, it’s a millimeter radar system to run the adaptive cruse control.

In an upcoming movie, James Bond uses a similar unit to help launch rockets that are capable of blowing bad guy’s cars up. About half way through the movie James finds himself behind a stubborn, grumpy old fart in a sh!tty little econobox, put putting along the tightest, twistest, narrowest, mountain road. 007 is expecting gramps to use one of the regular spaced pull-overs and let him by. As you know old men can be obstinate as all get out, and the crappy car just won’t pull over. In fact, when Bond tailgates him a bit to remind him of the passing protocol, gramps had the nerve to brake-check him. That was it, Bond pulled the trigger and vaporized him. How can you not want an option like that!
Old 07-12-2016, 06:44 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

911 should be driven not rode in. Don't tick this checkbox.... Do check off the rear steering option though.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:19 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ACC in my 991.2 and I use it all the time on the Expressways. It's paired with LCA.
Besides Auto Cruise, it also provides Auto Braking. Why wouldn't you take advantage of the newest safety technology?
I have also found that if you set the ACC to it's lowest setting(20mph), ACC will crawl along in bumper to bumper traffic for you.
Just be careful if you Track car with this feature! First turn it OFF on Track and second it's expensive to replace.
As to being in the hammer lane, let someone else get the ticket.
Even with a V1 and WAZE, Illinois State Patrol are getting new tricks and you just can't speed in Racine and Kenosha counties.
Watch out for unmarked white Explorers in Kenosha and green ones in Racine.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by bmedude
911 should be driven not rode in. Don't tick this checkbox.... Do check off the rear steering option though.
I am pretty sure I'm going to tick the rear steering option - and my gut tells me I'm going to need the safety of a 3rd eye making sure I don't slam into the car ahead of me. I'll be posting my build shortly. Deposit going down in a few days.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:05 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Adaptive cruise control is one of the options I most desire in my next car...any time spent in traffic in this area reminds me of how badly I want this option.

I would be interested in rear wheel steering, too, but not a deal breaker...
Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

I guess I am a luddite, but I do not want or desire becoming dependent on these electronic nannies. Just another layer of electronic complexity to go wrong at the worst time.

Was driving my wife's MB with active lane technology (whatever the acronym is in Mercedes speak) and was straddling the fog line because of construction barrels squarely placed on the centerline and the damn car tried to wrest control from me and into the barrels

Enough, already
Old 07-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Norsk
I guess I am a luddite, but I do not want or desire becoming dependent on these electronic nannies. Just another layer of electronic complexity to go wrong at the worst time.

Was driving my wife's MB with active lane technology (whatever the acronym is in Mercedes speak) and was straddling the fog line because of construction barrels squarely placed on the centerline and the damn car tried to wrest control from me and into the barrels

Enough, already
I'm not really so interested in the active cruise part because I imagine I'll be happy to drive the car. I just like that "Insurance" policy should I ever need the emregency braking to engage.

It's amazing on 110k base carrera 4S that this isn't standard. Nor is leather seats.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 PM
lkoury
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I am pretty sure I'm going to tick the rear steering option - and my gut tells me I'm going to need the safety of a 3rd eye making sure I don't slam into the car ahead of me. I'll be posting my build shortly. Deposit going down in a few days.
Originally Posted by Hurricane
Adaptive cruise control is one of the options I most desire in my next car...any time spent in traffic in this area reminds me of how badly I want this option.

I would be interested in rear wheel steering, too, but not a deal breaker...
Get the adaptive cruise. Really helps while texting.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

ACC was one of those things I never thought I'd want. Then I tried it. And discovered it's awesome, simply because if you have cruise on you don't have to constantly keep tapping the stick up and down as traffic changes. Makes longer freeway drives much easier. It is kinda ugly though. I have it on one of my cars and not on the others. Not sure whether I'd spec today, have to weigh benefit vs. ugly.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:14 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have it on my MB's because they are DD and I like it. If the 911 is your DD get it. If it's the weekend toy, you may want to skip that option.

If you are getting RWS you may want to consider the sport package option. It includes SC, PSE , RWS, GT steering wheel and sport mirrors. You save approximately $1,500.00 on the package. It's a good deal on very popular options.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by lkoury
Get the adaptive cruise. Really helps while texting.
Not planning on texting. However, for driving on the highway in traffic, though, it would be nice to set the cruise and not keep going stop and and go stop and go, though...

Quick Reply: Adaptive cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS)