Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dehumidifier in garage - my PSA for the day.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:23 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts
Default Dehumidifier in garage - my PSA for the day.

A while ago we were talking about storage and using a dehumidifier to keep our garages fresh.

Well I noticed my dehumidifier stopped working in the garage recently and it would just run and run w/o collecting any water. I decided to look up the make and model online just to see what the warranty period is and found that my make and model was recalled do to fire risk along with a dozen other models.

If you have a dehumidifier in your home take a look a the link and see if your unit was also recalled.

I bought mine a few years ago from Lowes.

http://www.greedehumidifierrecall.com/ProductEntry.aspx
Old 07-07-2016, 09:28 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 07-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

This is disturbing - I'll need to check mine when I get home. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:26 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the "heads up". I was using one of these. I contacted the recall center and they are sending a "recall kit". Their instructions were, "Unplug it and don't use it again". When they receive whatever the kit requires me to return, I should receive a check for $237 as reimbursement.

It's now time to go purchase a replacement. Thanks again for sharing the information.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:39 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
Thanks for the "heads up". I was using one of these. I contacted the recall center and they are sending a "recall kit". Their instructions were, "Unplug it and don't use it again". When they receive whatever the kit requires me to return, I should receive a check for $237 as reimbursement.

It's now time to go purchase a replacement. Thanks again for sharing the information.
Good to hear.

If mine burned down the house I would have been devastated.

I could kick myself that I didn't unplug mine earlier after "thinking" it wasn't working quite right when I noticed it wasn't producing water any more.

Waiting for my "recall kit" as well.

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 07-09-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:38 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honest question. What's the point of dessicating the garage? What's the problem with humidity?
Old 07-09-2016, 08:19 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997s07
Honest question. What's the point of dessicating the garage? What's the problem with humidity?
I have 700 sq/ft of Racedeck flooring through out which traps water underneath and I had problem with water coming in under my garage door when it rained. Thats when I bought the dehumidifier to help dry out the space while I worked on my water issues.

Since I now clean the gutters regularly and have removed about 2" of gravel that built up in front of the garage foundation the water issue has been resolved but have kept the dehumidifier going to keep the garage dry.

The big plus is having nice dry place for vehicles, tools, lawn equipment, boxes, etc. Drive in crappy weather and bring that into the garage .... pop the sunroof or leave the windows down and all gets dried out.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:05 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I have 700 sq/ft of Racedeck flooring through out which traps water underneath and I had problem with water coming in under my garage door when it rained. Thats when I bought the dehumidifier to help dry out the space while I worked on my water issues.

Since I now clean the gutters regularly and have removed about 2" of gravel that built up in front of the garage foundation the water issue has been resolved but have kept the dehumidifier going to keep the garage dry.

The big plus is having nice dry place for vehicles, tools, lawn equipment, boxes, etc. Drive in crappy weather and bring that into the garage .... pop the sunroof or leave the windows down and all gets dried out.
Great, thanks.

Quick Reply: Dehumidifier in garage - my PSA for the day.