Sponsored by:

5 lug to center lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by ahimanic
Yes CL is a pain when comes to finding an indy tire shop for servicing. I would guess about 90% of the indies can't do it. I bought myself an expensive and bulky portable torque wrench to carry for long trips out of the fear that no one can install my wheel in an emergency. It takes precious frunk space and barely fits.

Try America's Tires for servicing CL because some of them have the big torque wrench for servicing big commercial truck wheels. Even so you should be well versed in the proper installation of CL such as proper torque value and making sure the CL nut gear teeth pops out while reaching the proper torque to ensure safety. America's Tires' database indicated 368# for my 911 GTS and that is far from the 444# spec'd by the manual. Luckily the tech was willing to deviate with my instructions. It would be prudent to supply your own Castrol Optimoly paste to lube the nut because the shop probably will not have any. You need to watch the shop tech to make sure they did it right as they may not be familiar with the Porsche CL system. Simply torque to the spec is not enough. Remember you only have one bolt for that wheel! Lastly, once your tech does it right always try to get him again next time. I also tip him so I know he'll give it special attention.

The morale of this long winded post is that you need to know how to install CL correctly because you can't depend on others to do it unless it's a Porsche dealer or a Porsche indy shop.

With that being said, yes CL does look very cool and it is a lighter wheel with lower rotating weight that goes toward enhancing performance and feel.
+1 I personally would not trust an arbitrary tire shop to do this correctly, only a dealer, independent Porsche shop that had dealt with CLs, or myself.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was debating if I need to buy all these tools just in case of a flat in the middle of the road.

Doesn't dealership charges some outrageous price/install to change tires? How competitive is their pricing compare to independent Porsche shop?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

OP - Be happy that you don't have to deal with the headaches involved with a CL. If you really want them that bad, you're much better off selling the car and buying a GTS/GT3/Turbo
Old 07-06-2016, 10:54 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's a foolish move to select 5 lug on a landmark car like the .1 GTS unless you're tracking monthly. Like ordering a GT3 then taking the wing off. Get a C2S if you don't want the what, 8k wheels that come stock?
The 991 has to go somewhere special and or be flatbedded if you have that serious of a puncture anyway. It's not like a repair shop in the sticks is gonna safely work on your 20" wheels. Ymmv
Old 04-16-2018, 11:39 AM
rcgalore
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Resurrecting an old post......
Has Anyone done it??
What parts are needed??
only Rotors , hubs and Wheels??

Or anything else needed?
Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, can't help directly, but I can add something. I read a thread on a 997 forum awhile back from a guy who made the switch in the other direction...that is, he swapped out his CLs for 5-bolts. He was sick of dealing with the CLs, and made the switch in spite of everyone warning him that he would be adding a lot of unsprung weight by doing so. He returned an argument that pointed out that all of the difference in weight occurs at the center of the wheel, so any change in "flywheel effect" would be inconsequential. Then he made a point of weighing everything while doing the swap, and guess what...when all the dust settled, the weight difference was so close to a wash that it wasn't even worth talking about. I'm sorry that I can't remember the actual figures, but the weight difference was seriously not a concern...I mean, something on the order of 1 pound per corner. I think he made the comment that he could (but wouldn't) make up the difference with titanium lug bolts, if it was that important. He was thrilled with the result of his swap. Obviously, YMMV.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I opted to order 5 lug bolt wheels on my GTS in lieu of the center locks. Whether I might ever have a flat or not mattered to me for peace of mind. I am very pleased with my decision.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by tampaukfan
Has anyone converted 5 lug to center lock? Curious as to what the cost will be.
I assume you have been drinking, if not I would get to the ER ASAP. No one in their right mind would voluntarily have CL's.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 PM
rennChin
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you not take tires off if you get a flat with CL?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I assume you have been drinking, if not I would get to the ER ASAP. No one in their right mind would voluntarily have CL's.

You got that right...+1 They are a PITA compared to swapping a 5 lug. Check out Orthojoe's avatar for an idea of the torque wrench needed.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
You got that right...+1 They are a PITA compared to swapping a 5 lug. Check out Orthojoe's avatar for an idea of the torque wrench needed.
I wish I had his body mass. I have pulled, sat, jumped and still can't get the damn things torqued. I HATE cl's beyond description. Rant over.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

CL = more pain. This is just Porsche way of making sure clients come to their shops only. This is not the CLs used in club race cars. I am really crossing my fingers for easy CLs or just tons of 5-lug wheel options when the 992 comes.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:40 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Talent
I opted to order 5 lug bolt wheels on my GTS in lieu of the center locks. Whether I might ever have a flat or not mattered to me for peace of mind. I am very pleased with my decision.

I did the same. CL's for the street are, for me, strictly a cosmetic illusion for those who want the "look". Your street car will never, ever really need CL's. It's a little like fitting air jacks--great on a race car, but on the street no matter what GT-variant you drive, the car is still hundreds of pounds heavier that real track cars.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:59 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have CLs. I really like them. I've had no trouble with changing them. Having said that, if my car had 5 lug, I wouldn't attempt to change them to CLs. I just feel like something that crucial to the initial build of the car shouldn't be messed with..
Old 04-19-2018, 12:55 PM
dfasadler
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am going to go to CL on my 997 C4s. Can someone please advise on wheel size if I wanted to chose to go to a 20" wheels - CL 991 wheels or is this not even an option for a 997 C4s gen 1?
What Issues will I encounter?

Quick Reply: 5 lug to center lock