Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS centre lock nut weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:50 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The CL nuts are anodized, electrolytically coated. The wheels are painted.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:12 PM
Mr. Hyde
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down GTS Centre Lock Nut Weirdness

Had this happen to all four of my wheels on my 2015 GT3 after the car was detailed. I see all the comments about corrosive wheel cleaners, etc., but in my view this is nonsense. The fact is individuals who owns these cars as well as detail shops aren't complete fools using overly toxic chemicals. People don't use stuff that burns your skin, damages painted surfaces, etc. I'm not suggesting detail shops don't use chemicals but if the wheels withstand the use of cleaning products the same should be true for the center locks. I've been looking at a good number of cars that seem to have the issue and it seems this should be considered a Porsche defect that should be covered under warranty.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
Had this happen to all four of my wheels on my 2015 GT3 after the car was detailed. I see all the comments about corrosive wheel cleaners, etc., but in my view this is nonsense. The fact is individuals who owns these cars as well as detail shops aren't complete fools using overly toxic chemicals. People don't use stuff that burns your skin, damages painted surfaces, etc. I'm not suggesting detail shops don't use chemicals but if the wheels withstand the use of cleaning products the same should be true for the center locks. I've been looking at a good number of cars that seem to have the issue and it seems this should be considered a Porsche defect that should be covered under warranty.
Are you going to a Porsche dealer to see if they will cover under warranty?

Keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Happened to mine, having cleaned them only with products supplied by Porsche. They were replaced, but then it happened again (although not as badly). Then I heard somewhere to wipe them with olive oil and, um, it seems to work. Do that about every other time I clean the car and no problems.

Another centre-lock question though: what are people's level of expectation about scuff marks on the lock nuts following removal for tyre changes? Just had MPSSes put on, which are great, but has removed the anodisation in a couple of places. Will post pics next time I clean the car so can be seen clearly.
sadly its par for the course, w/o some form of plastic "condom" the surfaces of the CL nut are bound to wear under the load of the torque wrench/spanner

Old 07-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
Unfortunately, many "detailers" use very acidic wheel cleaner that is not at all good for CL's, brake calipers, and many wheels.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Unfortunately, many "detailers" use very acidic wheel cleaner that is not at all good for CL's, brake calipers, and many wheels.
always wise, especially if unknown, or not recommended, by others, to check what products a detailer uses before letting them loose on your car!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:36 PM
FifthGear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if AMMO Plum Wheel Cleaner has an acceptable pH?

(Edit: I'm going to e-mail Larry and see what he says.)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 PM
my991na
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that on all 4 of my wheels as wellName:  photo641.jpg
Views: 1959
Size:  884.4 KB
Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 PM
caritch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use sonax on my wheels. No issue yet. They specifically say on their site "Our wheel cleaner is safe on ALL wheel finishes: aluminum and alloys; painted, anodized and clear coated". It's a German product.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by coolfido
I have that on all 4 of my wheels as wellAttachment 1186847
Yikes!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:26 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

That looks like the same thing that Muriatic Acid does to anodized metal.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:44 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
always wise, especially if unknown, or not recommended, by others, to check what products a detailer uses before letting them loose on your car!
these high end detailers mainly use pH neutral (friendly) cleaners, like Sonax, that should no adverse effects on the wheels. However, the centre locks can't even be touched?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using Adam's Polishes deep wheel cleaner for a year and a half, my wheels are clean and my CLs look new. I wash and clean wheels monthly.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

It would concern me as to whether it's just cosmetic or not. We're applying ~450 lb-ft of torque on them. If they're corroded at all that seems worrisome. I'd replace them - hopefully under warranty because they're $250 each.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
In which case, a black Sharpie is your best friend . . . .
Yep - if you graze them or they corrode (its only a surface affect) - a black, broad tip sharpie is your friend.

Quick Reply: GTS centre lock nut weirdness