Sponsored by:

991.2 mini review

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:54 PM
knasman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Beautiful car! I have had a chance to flog the 991.2 at the track- following Porsche pro instructors, but going as fast as the car could go through very high speed sections. The new car is a bit faster, a bit sharper and obviously smoother. You are going to love it.
That's great to hear!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:55 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by pfbz
Nice review.... I also was tossed the keys to a new 911.2 for the weekend ( C4 Cab, PDK, non-S) and was blown away by the engine performance, particularly at high altitudes where I regularly drive. I'd put a .2 base against a .1 S anyday...
When I took the .2 base back, my words to the dealer was "I can't believe that's the base". So I agree. And given where I'm at, it's all high altitude as well.

As for the boost button, you might want to play with it a bit more. In addition to putting everything in top sport mode, it also allows a higher level of boost pressure for a limited period of time, it should be noticeable even if you are already in Sport+
Didn't realize it added extra boost as well. In that case, I do stand corrected. I'll play with it some more!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:59 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Driven991
WOOO!! Knasman that car is sweet. Really love that GT silver.

I own a 14 C2s and am curious about the throttle response of the new engine. I understand what you mean about having to rev the NA engine to get it to move in traffic. Didn't quite understand what you meant by boost+revs. Are you saying the new engine is strong off the line without revving or that you still have to rev it to get it to move quickly say at a stoplight or at a slow roll?

Hope you enjoy your new car in good health. Very interested to hear your opinion of the car on the track.
Thank you!

On the boost+revs, what I meant is when you're cruising at 2K RPM and you want to get going. You apply some throttle. In the 991.1, you'd typically need to apply enough to force it to shift a gear down, or wait for it to reach higher revs. Without downshifting (or even just going one gear down, for instance), it takes a while for the torque to build, similarly to how you'd wait for the .2 to build some turbo boost. Not quite the same, but similar in the way that you have to wait for some action

The 991.2 is always strong off the line, from that point of view it feels MUCH quicker/peppier than the .1.

And I'll be back with a track report, hopefully soon!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:01 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by drgek
I'd be a bit grey if I wasn't more than a bit bald

Congrats on your car. Headed to Park City with my wife in a few weeks. Any restaurant recommendations?
Hehe, I was worried on my old comment, hope I didn't offend anyone! At least the 911 demography is younger than the Corvette equivalent, right?

Lots of good places to eat in Park City. I saw someone else recommend High West, I'd second that. Handle is also great, as is Tupelo or Riverhorse (on Main). I'd be happy to make more detailed recommendations, but for that I'd need to know what you are looking for.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GT silver with black rims looks so hot. Congrats on the new car. Enjoy it! Great comparison, btw.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:34 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Nice review.... I also was tossed the keys to a new 911.2 for the weekend ( C4 Cab, PDK, non-S) and was blown away by the engine performance, particularly at high altitudes where I regularly drive. I'd put a .2 base against a .1 S anyday...

As for the boost button, you might want to play with it a bit more. In addition to putting everything in top sport mode, it also allows a higher level of boost pressure for a limited period of time, it should be noticeable even if you are already in Sport+
I had the same keys tossed to me. I was very surprised at how the power delivery was for this non s. Cab was fun but I wouldn't get it. PSE and sport was fun. Mine did not have sport chrono. I loved it and so did the wide.mtons of fun and the PDK was impressive.

Last edited by Jack F; 06-29-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:17 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Beautiful car, and thanks for the review. I, too, went from Agate to GT, and I'm glad I did. I've had my .2 for almost a month, and it's fantastic.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:26 PM
68lr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knasman
Yes, GT Silver. My previous was Agate Grey. While I really liked that color, I'm liking the silver with the black rims more. I think it makes it look a bit younger (and so does the wife and kids!), which is nice when most of the people you see driving 911 are a bit grey...
Picked up mine a month ago or so and in love with that color combo (GT Sukver w/blk satin wheels). My fear was looking "punky", but assure you it's the perfect blend of sportiness and class.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:38 PM
68lr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
GT silver with black rims looks so hot. Congrats on the new car. Enjoy it! Great comparison, btw.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:29 AM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68lr
Picked up mine a month ago or so and in love with that color combo (GT Sukver w/blk satin wheels). My fear was looking "punky", but assure you it's the perfect blend of sportiness and class.
Yours looks beautiful, but I might be a bit biased! You're right on the potential "punky" look, but I to think it strikes the right balance. A friend of mine has a white 991, and he commented that he thought mine looked alien, in a good way.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:32 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice review, beautiful car.
Drgek--
Riverhorse is always good.

Quick Reply: 991.2 mini review