Sponsored by:

Another lease question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:39 PM
aabueg2005
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman7
sorry, not following you. Penfed will do terms of 24, 36, 48 or 60 months. The amount I quoted was for a 36 month term. The residual amount they based that payment on is about $71K. Certainly you could end up upside down if the car is worth less than that, but then again it could be worth more. Plus you have a car to trade at the end of the term, which could help you on sales tax on your next car depending on where you live. Where I live, with a 6% tax rate, I'd save $4,200 in tax on a trade worth $70K. For me personally, I would not do the deal you've been presented.

Here's a link to the page if it'll help - https://penfed.org/Payment-Saver-Auto-Loan/
scroll down to the calculators in the lower right corner of this page and select "auto payment saver calculator". You can run a bunch of scenarios

To be clear, the way Penfed works (I've done several of these) you just owe the residual amount at the end of the term (in this case about $71K). At that point you can trade the car, sell it yourself or pay off or finance the balance due. It's pretty simple, and their 36 month interest rate is 1.74%
That makes sense. I do still need to put up the tax for the car minus trade which comes up to about $4.3k on top of the 15k down payment. So it will be a roughly $20k down. Which shouldn't be too bad. I'll run some scenarios. Thank you.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:57 PM
Cayman7
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aabueg2005
That makes sense. I do still need to put up the tax for the car minus trade which comes up to about $4.3k on top of the 15k down payment. So it will be a roughly $20k down. Which shouldn't be too bad. I'll run some scenarios. Thank you.
Yes, you would need to add the tax to your down payment. Still seems like you'd be about $15K ahead in the end. BTW, I just went out to KBB and ran a trade-in value on a 2014 C4S with 36K miles. Since I didn't know the options on your car I just indicated auto (PDK) trans and left everything else at the defaults. In very good condition KBB shows a dealer trade-in value between about $66.5 and $72.5K, so Penfed at $71K is right in the ballpark. This is how I check residual values to make sure they're not inflated...good luck!
Old 08-13-2016, 12:30 AM
aabueg2005
Instructor

Yes, you would need to add the tax to your down payment. Still seems like you'd be about $15K ahead in the end. BTW, I just went out to KBB and ran a trade-in value on a 2014 C4S with 36K miles. Since I didn't know the options on your car I just indicated auto (PDK) trans and left everything else at the defaults. In very good condition KBB shows a dealer trade-in value between about $66.5 and $72.5K, so Penfed at $71K is right in the ballpark. This is how I check residual values to make sure they're not inflated...good luck!
Good to know. KBB seems to inflate trade in numbers and when you talk to dealers they always say auction prices are way lower and would not even consider average price. The lowest end of the range seems to be more accurate with KBB numbers. I ran a 60 month payment saver and the residual was 40% which is fair and with the savings of 1k per month, i should have enough saved (hypothetically) to pay it off.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:36 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by zx5go
Off topic, daddyscar, is that your macadamia metallic Cayman in your avatar? One of the best Porsche colors ever in my opinion.
Yes sir! That was my first Porsche. Loved that color.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:39 AM
Cayman7
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Good to know. KBB seems to inflate trade in numbers and when you talk to dealers they always say auction prices are way lower and would not even consider average price. The lowest end of the range seems to be more accurate with KBB numbers. I ran a 60 month payment saver and the residual was 40% which is fair and with the savings of 1k per month, i should have enough saved (hypothetically) to pay it off.
yeah, as you know it's all a negotiation. I've actually had good luck with my last few cars getting the KBB average, but they always start way lower. Looks like your tax rate is pretty high in MO, so even if you traded at $65K or so you'd be pretty close to the residual with the tax benefit.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:48 AM
aabueg2005
Instructor

yeah, as you know it's all a negotiation. I've actually had good luck with my last few cars getting the KBB average, but they always start way lower. Looks like your tax rate is pretty high in MO, so even if you traded at $65K or so you'd be pretty close to the residual with the tax benefit.
My tax rate is 6.725% in my county. This is all good information, thank you! The only plus with a lease is that I can deduct part of the payment for business use. I can't deduct all of it since it will also be a personal car.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:20 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 697 Likes on 486 Posts

Where I live I can either lease and write off the portion of the lease payment proportional to the percentage of miles driven that is business use, or I can claim depreciation if I've bought the car proportional to the percentage of business use. In both cases there is a maximum allowable deduction.mfor leases it's $950/month pluse taxes, for purchase it's $35,000 car value. I'd talk to your accountant to make sure you understand the rules before you finalize a purchase vs lease deal.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:46 AM
Addixion
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I entered my lease 2 months ago, the sweet spot was on the 27-30 month leases. Going to 36 made the deal significantly less competitive due to a significantly lower residual. Run the numbers on the 30 and see if it looks any better.

[QUOTE=Cayman7;13523676]
So finally my car has arrived at the dealer today, a whole week early from designated arrival date. So now I have been haggling with the sales manager regarding the lease. Still 5% off msrp but they would not budge on the MF of .0026. Here are my deal options:

MSRP $121,461 C4S
Sale price: $115,391
12k miles/36 months
57% residual
$995 acquisition
MF 0.0026
Monthly: $1,913

I'm not sure this is possible for you since it would require about $15K out of pocket (down payment), but a Penfed payment saver loan at $100K (their max loan amount) on a C4S is coming up at about $930 per month. That's nearly $1K less than you're looking at with the lease. That's based on a residual of about $71K, not too far from what your getting at 57% of $121K MSRP. So about $15K down to save $36K over 36 months sounds pretty good to me

Quick Reply: Another lease question