Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SIM Card - 991.2 WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:09 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Here's a thread I started on the subject. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1056...-2-buyers.html

I think it will answer a lot of your questions 6sigma. A key takeaway is that there are two SIMs in the cars. In earlier 991.2s one goes in a slot and one is a built-in eSIM. In later 991.2s I've heard the slot disappears and you get two built-in eSIMs.

wkearney99 is also providing a good response. To answer the "I'm unclear" part of that: You you don't have to be subscribed to anything to share a WiFi plan you have added to the car with others in the car, it will just increase your data as you note. I opted for the unlimited data plan on my AT&T WiFi so I didn't have to worry about it ($20/mo), especially since I use the streamed satellite imagery with Google Earth.

I ended up calling 1-800-PORSCHE and they professionally took care of it right away. They shipped the correct SIM via Fedex and set up the plan with AT&T quickly and easily. That's your best route. Let us know if you end up with other questions after reading the thread linked above.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:32 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Here's a thread I started on the subject. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1056...-2-buyers.html

I think it will answer a lot of your questions 6sigma. A key takeaway is that there are two SIMs in the cars. In earlier 991.2s one goes in a slot and one is a built-in eSIM. In later 991.2s I've heard the slot disappears and you get two built-in eSIMs.

wkearney99 is also providing a good response. To answer the "I'm unclear" part of that: You you don't have to be subscribed to anything to share a WiFi plan you have added to the car with others in the car, it will just increase your data as you note. I opted for the unlimited data plan on my AT&T WiFi so I didn't have to worry about it ($20/mo), especially since I use the streamed satellite imagery with Google Earth.

I ended up calling 1-800-PORSCHE and they professionally took care of it right away. They shipped the correct SIM via Fedex and set up the plan with AT&T quickly and easily. That's your best route. Let us know if you end up with other questions after reading the thread linked above.
Thanks for that link - good info in that thread. I have to say, as a veteran tech professional and general tech nerd, this has got to be the worst in-car setup I have ever seen. The tech itself seems mediocre but the setup and activation process is just crazy. I've spent hours reading the owners manual, Porsche web sites, tinkering with settings, talking to the dealer, reading online forums, and I still don't fully understand how to make this work or what it can/can't do. Porsche, if you are reading this - please simplify and make this easier to activate and use. Even my dealer doesn't understand how this works.

From what I've gathered, in my brand new 2018 911 T, I need to call Porsche and activate my free trial of services (somewhere between 3 months and 1 year of trial - dealer said 3 months, online says 1 year). There is reference to an email that I was to have received before delivery which would have activation instructions, but I have not received any such email. Once activated, my trial period will allow me to use Google Earth with real-time traffic and weather in PCM (this is all that I want). I do not know if this requires an external SIM card or the embedded SIM within PCM will work (apparently this changed for some 2018 models?). Even though I can connect PCM to my cell hotspot now (cell providing wifi data TO the PCM), Google Earth and real-time data is not functional until I activate said services with Porsche (because revenue stream I assume). So, I will call Porsche tomorrow and see if they can straighten this out.

Option B, which may soon become option A, is to get a cheap iPhone as an additional line on my family plan and keep in the car for CarPlay - providing Google Maps and Waze. I don't see why I would pay Porsche a hefty fee for the right to use Google Earth, AND pay for cellular data plan via a SIM when I can do everything I want in CarPlay. This isn't about the actual cost, but the sense of being ripped off, especially in an expensive car (Porsche, are you listening?). I'm an Android user and don't want to switch my regular phone to Apple, but could just keep an in-car iPhone plugged in for CarPlay purposes only. This would let me ignore all the PCM nonsense if I can't get it working properly.

Option C is a PCM update that enables Android Auto, and all my problems are solved!
Old 01-02-2019, 12:01 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Thanks for the responses to this thread as it helped me make a decision before I picked up my car (1/23).

Would have loved Android Auto, I've used Androids for a very long time. That wasn't happening with the new car, so I made the decision to switch over to the iPhone X from my trusty S4.

Want nothing to do with ATT, they were useless and lied about my internet service (said that they couldn't guarantee connectivity, hours of outages every day) some years ago, so they're dead to me and the family, so Car Play is it.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:07 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Thanks for that link - good info in that thread. I have to say, as a veteran tech professional and general tech nerd, this has got to be the worst in-car setup I have ever seen. The tech itself seems mediocre but the setup and activation process is just crazy. I've spent hours reading the owners manual, Porsche web sites, tinkering with settings, talking to the dealer, reading online forums, and I still don't fully understand how to make this work or what it can/can't do. Porsche, if you are reading this - please simplify and make this easier to activate and use. Even my dealer doesn't understand how this works.

From what I've gathered, in my brand new 2018 911 T, I need to call Porsche and activate my free trial of services (somewhere between 3 months and 1 year of trial - dealer said 3 months, online says 1 year). There is reference to an email that I was to have received before delivery which would have activation instructions, but I have not received any such email. Once activated, my trial period will allow me to use Google Earth with real-time traffic and weather in PCM (this is all that I want). I do not know if this requires an external SIM card or the embedded SIM within PCM will work (apparently this changed for some 2018 models?). Even though I can connect PCM to my cell hotspot now (cell providing wifi data TO the PCM), Google Earth and real-time data is not functional until I activate said services with Porsche (because revenue stream I assume). So, I will call Porsche tomorrow and see if they can straighten this out.

Option B, which may soon become option A, is to get a cheap iPhone as an additional line on my family plan and keep in the car for CarPlay - providing Google Maps and Waze. I don't see why I would pay Porsche a hefty fee for the right to use Google Earth, AND pay for cellular data plan via a SIM when I can do everything I want in CarPlay. This isn't about the actual cost, but the sense of being ripped off, especially in an expensive car (Porsche, are you listening?). I'm an Android user and don't want to switch my regular phone to Apple, but could just keep an in-car iPhone plugged in for CarPlay purposes only. This would let me ignore all the PCM nonsense if I can't get it working properly.

Option C is a PCM update that enables Android Auto, and all my problems are solved!

You need to set up a Porsche account, and go the Porsche Connect site to activate the embedded SIM. They will give you a pairing code (their terminology) & instructions as to how to enter it into the PCM. I never called anyone, just did it on-line. Once the code was entered, all the services came on and have worked fine since. This was for an '18 GTS.

Having 3 different data systems (Porsche Connect through Vodaphone, Nav & Infotainment through the embedded SIM, and The Wifi hotspot via the plug-in SIM) is absurd. It's a 20th century implementation of 21st century technology. The end of my free year is fast approaching, and I'm only renewing the Connect Plus Nav & infotainment stuff. In fact I've already done that for the coming year when they had it on sale for half price back on Cyber Monday. I'm not renewing anything from Vodaphone, and I already yanked the AT&T Sim the dealer had installed a long time ago.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:56 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

The Nav & Infotainment are NOT through the embedded SIM. At least they don't on the PCM4-series in the 16-19 series of vehicles. Pull the front, removable SIM and those services stop showing data. The embedded radio/SIM is used for the Security services (remote for door locking and status, location and theft). The removable SIM gets used for the rest; PCM info, WiFi sharing, useless 'apps', etc.

The remote/security is handled by one company (which includes handling the embedded SIM services/registration). The data is handled by another company (getting traffic/weather/geo data from others) and CAN include setting up an AT&T account for the removable SIM. But you do not HAVE to use the AT&T SIM, you can use whatever will work with the built-in LTE/GSM radio. If you're in a full LTE coverage area you can use several non-AT&T SIMs (I've used a Verizon SIM).

It's not unreasonable to have two different radios and multiple tiers of service. What IS unreasonable is the crappy way Porsche has named the products AND how they've badly explained/documented it.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:54 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

I finally got the Porsche Connect services working properly on my 2018 911T. I created a Porsche ID profile in My Porsche portal by registering at login.porsche.com. Then I contacted Porsche Connect support at 800-PORSCHE to register my specific car to My Porsche account (requires proof of ownership and ID verification). Once done, I then received an activation code that I entered into the PCM in the Apps menu, which activated the Porsche Connect services.

My car is a 2018, and support said 2018+ do NOT require an external SIM for the PCM services like Google Earth nav and real-time traffic. The embedded SIM connects to AT&T and provides data for these services. Google Earth, live traffic, online search, etc now work on my car and I do not have an external SIM installed. If you want to use a wifi hotspot from the car (devices connect to wifi served by the car) you will need an external SIM (with active cellular data plan), which is apparently why the SIM card slot is still there in 18+ vehicles. I don't care about a hotspot from the car so I don't have/need an external SIM.

The free trial for Porsche Connect services is 1-year. After that it is $189/yr although I've read there are occasional promotions where you may be able to get it for less. The $189/yr seems reasonable if it does not require me to purchase or use an external SIM with extra data plan cost, which I believe is the case. The services list also shows online update to the embedded nav map, which would be great if it works.

Having Google Earth maps, with online search and real-time traffic with dynamic routing is 80% of what I'd use with Android Auto. I can stream music via Bluetooth, which is not as good as the AA music interface, but does work.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:07 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Huh, so they're fronting the cost of google earth bandwidth on the embedded radio? That's something. Not the map and traffic, but the satellite overheard views? That gobbles a LOT of bandwidth on the PCM4-series using the data SIM. Traffic, address search and weather hardly use much data in comparison. I'd double-check that Google Earth satellite viewing is included. If it is, yeah, $189/yr isn't unreasonable.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Huh, so they're fronting the cost of google earth bandwidth on the embedded radio? That's something. Not the map and traffic, but the satellite overheard views? That gobbles a LOT of bandwidth on the PCM4-series using the data SIM. Traffic, address search and weather hardly use much data in comparison. I'd double-check that Google Earth satellite viewing is included. If it is, yeah, $189/yr isn't unreasonable.
Yep, it is the Google Earth satellite view. I can toggle the layer on/off, with traffic. It does seem like that would use a lot of data just driving around with the map on screen. Maybe they negotiated a deal with AT&T!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

The Nav & Infotainment are NOT through the embedded SIM. At least they don't on the PCM4-series in the 16-19 series of vehicles. Pull the front, removable SIM and those services stop showing data. The embedded radio/SIM is used for the Security services (remote for door locking and status, location and theft). The removable SIM gets used for the rest; PCM info, WiFi sharing, useless 'apps', etc.

The remote/security is handled by one company (which includes handling the embedded SIM services/registration). The data is handled by another company (getting traffic/weather/geo data from others) and CAN include setting up an AT&T account for the removable SIM. But you do not HAVE to use the AT&T SIM, you can use whatever will work with the built-in LTE/GSM radio. If you're in a full LTE coverage area you can use several non-AT&T SIMs (I've used a Verizon SIM).

It's not unreasonable to have two different radios and multiple tiers of service. What IS unreasonable is the crappy way Porsche has named the products AND how they've badly explained/documented it.
Absolutely not true. I don't even have a SIM card in the plug-in tray, and my Nav & infotainment stuff works just fine via the embedded SIM. Also, the embedded SIM has nothing to with the Security systems you listed. They are provided by Vodaphone, which is an entirely different system.

It definite has Google Earth, and all other Nav & Entertainment functions. It even states that with the price in the Connect Store.

Quick Reply: SIM Card - 991.2 WARNING