Xpel PPF with TracWrap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:09 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Xpel PPF with TracWrap?

Hey Xpel,
Can we mix your PPF with TracWrap? I'm wondering whether I can overlap the temporary solution with your permanent one. Might even double up on thickness with key vulnerable spots if so.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Hey Xpel,
Can we mix your PPF with TracWrap? I'm wondering whether I can overlap the temporary solution with your permanent one. Might even double up on thickness with key vulnerable spots if so.
Hi David,

Yes! Thats absolutely fine, plenty of our customers that have ULTIMATE installed still put TRACWRAP on top of it. Mainly this is done at the racetrack for added protection, since you'll have nearly 16 mils thick protection on the front end.

Since TRACWRAP has an air-release liner its simple to apply and easy to remove without leaving adhesive behind

Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, I can't vouch for TracWrap, but in my case I had 3M color-change vinyl wrap installed on top of Xpel front-end PPF. Nearly two years, and when I removed the vinyl wrap I found that there was absolutely ZERO issue with the Xpel underneath! No pulls or anything else. Looked just like the day it was installed. I chose to wrap over the PPF as an additional protective barrier.... So I would say that you shouldn't have any problems at all with applying some temp wrap over it. Maybe should say that this is my own experience, and I installed both... can't vouch for how well others have done or whether there might be issues dealing with PPF that wasn't installed properly, yadayadayada.....

Oh, and just for kicks -- I also PlastiDip'd over Xpel PPF on my side mirrors, and the dip peeled-off without any discoloration or other effects to the PPF after about the same time as the front-end wrap! It was amazing....
Old 05-20-2016, 10:50 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Thank you both Xpel and Plenum! Much appreciated.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:52 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by plenum
Well, I can't vouch for TracWrap, but in my case I had 3M color-change vinyl wrap installed on top of Xpel front-end PPF. Nearly two years, and when I removed the vinyl wrap I found that there was absolutely ZERO issue with the Xpel underneath! No pulls or anything else. Looked just like the day it was installed. I chose to wrap over the PPF as an additional protective barrier.... So I would say that you shouldn't have any problems at all with applying some temp wrap over it. Maybe should say that this is my own experience, and I installed both... can't vouch for how well others have done or whether there might be issues dealing with PPF that wasn't installed properly, yadayadayada.....

Oh, and just for kicks -- I also PlastiDip'd over Xpel PPF on my side mirrors, and the dip peeled-off without any discoloration or other effects to the PPF after about the same time as the front-end wrap! It was amazing....
That's great! We have many, many customers that do full-color changes on their XPEL wrapped vehicles.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Hey Xpel,
If you install TracWrap FIRST, putting Xpel on top of that won't go over well if I'm understanding your question correctly.

If anything, you can double layer TracWrap in certain spots. Overall, one layer should do its job.

Make sure you choose your final PPF installer wisely. More bad hacks out there than good ones.

Seeing you're in Philly, I'd send your car here:

http://www.esotericdetail.com

Might be some other good options in the geographic area too.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:11 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by STG
If you install TracWrap FIRST, putting Xpel on top of that won't go over well if I'm understanding your question correctly.

If anything, you can double layer TracWrap in certain spots. Overall, one layer should do its job.

Make sure you choose your final PPF installer wisely. More bad hacks out there than good ones.
He's having XPEL ULTIMATE installed in Stuttgart, but debating of using TRACWRAP on top of it to add the extra layer of protection in the high impact areas
Old 05-20-2016, 11:15 AM
STG
Race Director

TorqueChap, what exactly are you getting done in Stuttgart? What panels? Patterns or full wrap? Who is doing it too?

How long are you driving your car in Europe for?
Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by XPEL
He's having XPEL ULTIMATE installed in Stuttgart, but debating of using TRACWRAP on top of it to add the extra layer of protection in the high impact areas
Gotcha. Not a bad idea, especially if tracking, etc.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:30 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG
TorqueChap, what exactly are you getting done in Stuttgart? What panels? Patterns or full wrap? Who is doing it too? How long are you driving your car in Europe for?
Hey STG! Schwabenfolia was strongly recommended by both Xpel and Porsche's ED team. I've already contracted with Sandro to wrap the entire front, doors, full A-pillar, mirrors and a few other bits. Would have wrapped the entire car, but it would have taken several days. As it is, the car will get flatbed picked up in the morning and delivered later that day. TracWrap will go on all the unwrapped bits until I can have them properly tended to back in the States. I'm even going to wrap the CXX optioned brushed aluminum interior, the stainless steel door sills and the targa roll bar.

Going to be doing 2.5 weeks in Europe with my new wife and newborn 3-month old son. Should be quite the adventure.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:37 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ Damn dude that is awesome
Old 05-20-2016, 01:40 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rezus
^^^ Damn dude that is awesome
Thanks Rezus.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Have a blast! New wife, newborn, and car! Whoa!

Looking forward to the posts. When is the big date?

You'll officially have the LAST 991.1 NA GTS factory delivery.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:49 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG
Have a blast! New wife, newborn, and car! Whoa! Looking forward to the posts. When is the big date? You'll officially have the LAST 991.1 NA GTS factory delivery.
Go big or go home haha

Thanks STG. Going to make our first ED go down in the record books on multiple counts.

Pick up in Stuttgart is on June 22nd.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:47 AM
Bobby5150
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Go big or go home haha

Thanks STG. Going to make our first ED go down in the record books on multiple counts.

Pick up in Stuttgart is on June 22nd.
Torque I think this trip calls for its own thread on here! That should be quite the adventure. Have a wonderful time!

Quick Reply: Xpel PPF with TracWrap?