Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bimmer Addict's First Porsche - 2015 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:49 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 206 Posts

Another E92 M3 / M3post convert here. Test drove a 991S and Cayman GTS and it was all over from there...E92 M3 is probably the best all around daily driver sports car under $50k though. I may buy another one down the line at some point. The GTS is awesome.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:11 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider sitting close to the road as a plus rather than a negative. The 911 has such great visibility you don't really need the cameras to park, it'll become second nature. BMWs are like sporty Fords now.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stil_1
Very nice car. I went through similar thing before getting my C4S.

Went from WRX -> 335 -> E60 M5 (Loved the V10, but evenatually got tired of the weight) -> E46 M3 -> Z4M (had to scratch that convertible itch, same engine as E46, CSR suspension and lighter) -> F80 M3 -> 991.1 C4S

so was a bit all over the place, but definitely understand when you mentioned the heavier feeling.
Originally Posted by dgoldenz
Another E92 M3 / M3post convert here. Test drove a 991S and Cayman GTS and it was all over from there...E92 M3 is probably the best all around daily driver sports car under $50k though. I may buy another one down the line at some point. The GTS is awesome.
Wow, but ex-Bimmer guys. My theory is true that BMW is a gateway drug to Porsche, hahah.

Originally Posted by jury_ca
I would consider sitting close to the road as a plus rather than a negative. The 911 has such great visibility you don't really need the cameras to park, it'll become second nature. BMWs are like sporty Fords now.
I don't mind sitting close to the ground, it's the speed bumps that worry me. Looking underneath the 911's chassis, I do not want to damage anything under there. It's so flush and beautiful.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by 917k
I understand your point - and like many in this thread re PAG's focus on weight

But F10 M5 makes a great deal of sense as an A-bahn stormer; at that it absolutely excels, propelling 4 adults safely in comfort at very high-speed. But it sure is no sports car Fit for its real design purpose: absolutely. For track 'knifework' - no. We miss out because we don't have the A-bahn... which I will be driving Monday in my new 991.2 CS

I too have a history w/ the Roundel going back to the '80s
Yes, the F10 M5 would be a very safe and awesome car to be able to drive on the A-Bahn (except if you had the M5 I had, you had to stop to top off oil every 250mi). There was a crash of the M5 recently on the A-Bahn, almost 200mph crash and everyone survived. The F02 750Li was actually my favorite road trip car, I drove it from KC to New Orleans, stopped in Houston and Dallas, then back. My back felt great. The new 7s are even better and more comfortable (full massaging seats). The 7s eat up the miles comfortably, if I didn't have my X5M I would get the new 750 for long road trips. If BMW releases a 7 series in the US with their new most powerful diesel motor, that would be awesome.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Not to hijack your thread, but I've been looking to replace my winter car, an awesome Audi S4, for almost a year now. I've been all over the place, looking at the 340ix (handles for sh*t), Macan (don't really want an SUV) and the Model S (waaaay cool, but pretty pricey). Lately, I've been focusing on a real outlier - a Jaguar XF. The 380hp AWD model weights almost 300 pounds less than a 535ix, and over 550 pounds less than a 550ix. It sends 90% of power to the rear wheels in dry conditions (and up to 90% to the front when needed) and has a Quattro-like torque vectoring system. It really handles a size smaller than it is. Overall, a pretty impressive package.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Darst
After reading every post on this thread, I will chime in, in case anyone is keeping score. I too am from the roundel, started in 1979, joined bmwcca in 1981, still a member, don't try to remember how many we had. But I do remember the point in time when I had enough. In 2000 the M5 came out with 500 horsepower. It wowed me, but it was all negated by weight. Having raced a Lotus Elan at 1260 pounds in the 1970's, wasn't tolerant of weight. Colin Chapman is known for the saying " adding horsepower makes you faster on the straights, subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere". So I admire Porsche for their discipline in minding weight. When they add horsepower they also lose weight.

So congrats on your evolution. Where we go from here has not been made yet.
White is apparently a better color. We got black, but all the bird crap we hit is white.
The E39 M5 had 400 HP.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:52 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Hello guys (and gals),

I'm a hardcore BMW guy, been through 11 BMWs in the past 6yrs. I still have an F85 X5M in the stable (which I love), but I recently traded an F10 M5 for this beautiful 2015 991 GTS - PDK - White - Black Leather - PASM - CF package - Premium Seats - Bose Audio - and Clear tailight. I'm the second owner and she has about 500mi logged, so I need to quickly break her in. Clear bra and windows were professional tinted by first owner. Long story about her history on why she has so little miles, but I'm glad I found her.

Since I was a kid, I had many 911 toy cars, die-casts, and always loved the 911 lines. Even today, I still stop and drool if I see a 911 passes by no matter how old it is.

I went through many BMWs, from F80 M3, to 6 series GC, to 750Li, and now X5M. In the past year, I realized as my income increases my BMWs are just getting heavier and more powerful. I hit the wall when I got an M5, I started to lose love for heavy and powerful cars. I know I needed to get something light, N/A, and timeless. So I was on a hunt for a 991, but I wanted wide body 991 that's not 4WD. So it left me with the GTS, GT3, or GT3 RS. I read Chris Harris' review on the GTS, which he owned, and is still his favorite 911 of all time. Chris pretty much says all men "thinks" he wants a GT3, but realistically a GTS is way better for the road. I knew GTS is what I wanted... I can't wait to take her out on the track. She will be kept in my family as long as I can...

First impression on the bad: no surround camera, non-intuitive navi, and super low. The goods: so light weight, fun to drive, the sport exhaust is intoxicating with the N/A intake sound in the cabin. The Bose system is actually very good, and I'm an audiophile and my X5M has B&O, this sounds better due to the smaller cabin airspace. Overall, I can't stop staring at her. Just simply the 991 is one of the most beautiful cars on the road.

Enjoy the photos. Thanks for reading, your thoughts?

-Jimmy

P.S. I'm learning as much as I can about these so I can be an informative contributor on this forum. For now, please excuse my ignorant questions.
I know that a few of the Porsches have the look around camera, for some reason Porsche decided the feature was impractical for the 991. Thouge they have the rear view camera and lane departure feature and PAS which is a form of Cruise Control that won't let you hit another car in front of you. Just like Mercedes has been advertising so much lately.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by hinckley
Not to hijack your thread, but I've been looking to replace my winter car, an awesome Audi S4, for almost a year now. I've been all over the place, looking at the 340ix (handles for sh*t), Macan (don't really want an SUV) and the Model S (waaaay cool, but pretty pricey). Lately, I've been focusing on a real outlier - a Jaguar XF. The 380hp AWD model weights almost 300 pounds less than a 535ix, and over 550 pounds less than a 550ix. It sends 90% of power to the rear wheels in dry conditions (and up to 90% to the front when needed) and has a Quattro-like torque vectoring system. It really handles a size smaller than it is. Overall, a pretty impressive package.
My neighbor has an XF, for the past 2.5yrs I live next to him the car has been in and out of the dealer for warranty work more times than I can count (based on the number of days he had a loaner car for long periods of time). A deal killer for me is it doesn't have a shift ****, which is where I rest my right hand on. Without a shift ****, it feels really weird to me (I was a manual guy). I took an XF home when I was exploring brands outside of BMW, I couldn't wait to give it back to the dealer. The technology was outdated, fit and finish was Ford Like, and it drives ok. Not award winning of any kind.

BMW xDrive actually drives very sporty, feels more like a RWD and it's RWD biased under acceleration and cornering. I had a few xDrive (including current X5M), they were very fun for AWD vehicles.

Why not just keep the S4? If you need something bigger, the 535ix is a great platform. It is due for a refresh though, so the new model should be announced this summer and the price will drop. The new 5 series should be much lighter, borrowing carbon chassis technology from the 7. Looking at 200-400lbs weight reduction.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:14 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 368 Likes on 188 Posts

Love it - I think the GTS is one of the nicest looking 911 variants. I've got a Carrara White Cayman GTS that looks very similar - kind of like a little brother

Old 05-20-2016, 12:27 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
My neighbor has an XF, for the past 2.5yrs I live next to him the car has been in and out of the dealer for warranty work more times than I can count (based on the number of days he had a loaner car for long periods of time). A deal killer for me is it doesn't have a shift ****, which is where I rest my right hand on. Without a shift ****, it feels really weird to me (I was a manual guy). I took an XF home when I was exploring brands outside of BMW, I couldn't wait to give it back to the dealer. The technology was outdated, fit and finish was Ford Like, and it drives ok. Not award winning of any kind.

BMW xDrive actually drives very sporty, feels more like a RWD and it's RWD biased under acceleration and cornering. I had a few xDrive (including current X5M), they were very fun for AWD vehicles.

Why not just keep the S4? If you need something bigger, the 535ix is a great platform. It is due for a refresh though, so the new model should be announced this summer and the price will drop. The new 5 series should be much lighter, borrowing carbon chassis technology from the 7. Looking at 200-400lbs weight reduction.
Since you asked in your thread . . . I love, love, love my S4. But it's five years old and I just want something new. No other reason. And fwiw, in 35 years of car ownership, I've never owned anything other than a manual. But I knew that clock was ticking and when I eliminated the 340ix, I eliminated a stick option (fwiw, the new S4 will be AT only).

The xDrive implementation in the X5M and the X6M is different from BMW's other AWD cars. It is sport oriented. But if you order a 3, 5, or 7 xDrive, BMW excludes the M-suspension even in MSport cars. I test drove the 340 xDrive pretty extensively (I really didn't want to give up a stick), but even the sportiest set-up just didn't do it for me.

I don't know whether you drove the new XF, but it was all-new platform for MY16. It is very impressive. And fwiw, there's a new tech interface (InControl Touch Pro) which is very competitive including an Audi-like virtual cockpit. I do have extreme trepidation regarding reliability. To address it, Jag took what I refer to as the "Hyundai approach." They lowered the price and increased the warranty. From MY16, the XF comes with a 5 year/60k mile warranty and a 5 year/60k mile free maintenance program (BMW is going in the other direction). But to be sure though, I'm still very concerned and am still on the fence . . .
Old 05-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Since you asked in your thread . . . I love, love, love my S4. But it's five years old and I just want something new. No other reason. And fwiw, in 35 years of car ownership, I've never owned anything other than a manual. But I knew that clock was ticking and when I eliminated the 340ix, I eliminated a stick option (fwiw, the new S4 will be AT only). The xDrive implementation in the X5M and the X6M is different from BMW's other AWD cars. It is sport oriented. But if you order a 3, 5, or 7 xDrive, BMW excludes the M-suspension even in MSport cars. I test drove the 340 xDrive pretty extensively (I really didn't want to give up a stick), but even the sportiest set-up just didn't do it for me. I don't know whether you drove the new XF, but it was all-new platform for MY16. It is very impressive. And fwiw, there's a new tech interface (InControl Touch Pro) which is very competitive including an Audi-like virtual cockpit. I do have extreme trepidation regarding reliability. To address it, Jag took what I refer to as the "Hyundai approach." They lowered the price and increased the warranty. From MY16, the XF comes with a 5 year/60k mile warranty and a 5 year/60k mile free maintenance program (BMW is going in the other direction). But to be sure, I'm still very concerned . . .
Gotcha. Yes, it's ashamed BMW took away the 5yr free maint program. It is now 2yrs, which is pretty much 2 oil changes. IMO, it is he wrong business move. Just increase the price of the car, but don't am take away free maint. That's a big edge over the German competition. I had an xDrice 640GC, it drove very sporty. Maybe the new platform XF will be more reliable and has more tech. They do look great.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Love it - I think the GTS is one of the nicest looking 911 variants. I've got a Carrara White Cayman GTS that looks very similar - kind of like a little brother
Thank you. Your Cayman GTS looks awesome. I wouldn't mind getting a Cayman GTS one day.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:23 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Since you asked in your thread . . . I love, love, love my S4. But it's five years old and I just want something new. No other reason. And fwiw, in 35 years of car ownership, I've never owned anything other than a manual. But I knew that clock was ticking and when I eliminated the 340ix, I eliminated a stick option (fwiw, the new S4 will be AT only).
What's a 340ix? Some kind of pacemaker?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:36 PM
drechsler
Intermediate

Beautiful choice. Enjoy in good health!
Old 05-20-2016, 04:18 PM
The New 911
Pro

Me too with the Trepidation of Jaguar ownership due to the exact same issues already spoken of.
The XF certainly is a "LOOKER" if one is into that type of styling. If they could get the XF working without the need of constant Warranty work then I will take a look at one. Yet I'm not an early Adaptor so buying most cars I would wait a few years (except for Porsche's, they work very hard on quality and installation Codes and Methods of contruction) before buying the current MY of a car. One of the biggest reasons I have never bought a new Fiat Abarth.

I find the wording above that the previous car was made like a Ford made me giggle like a school girl! I guess they were still working out of the Ford Method's and Contruction book that they got years ago when Ford Bought controlling interest in Jaguar.

I haven't seen the new car yet so I cannot make any conclusions... yet!

Last edited by The New 911; 05-20-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Bimmer Addict's First Porsche - 2015 GTS