Bimmer Addict's First Porsche - 2015 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by X2Board
Congrats on the new ride!

Seems like more, and more of us hardcore 'M" guys are switching to Porsche. I tried to love my F80, but I just couldn't.

The only BMW cars in the family now, are my son's 528, and my E36 328, which will become a track only car soon.
Thank you. Those old Bimmers are so much fun for the track.
Originally Posted by bandi
I too miss some of the f10 "nannies"--like the surround camera pkg; it is just awesome! Backup camera in the 911 is good but took me awhile to trust it backing up along curbs. The 5-series are great cars but get pretty boring after a couple years. It's becoming more of a 70+ year old's car!
I think we're just getting more and more spoiled with luxury. I rode in a friend's Tesla, it literary drove itself on the highway. I'm amazed, but we are getting further away into just driving the car properly and using skills that we developed with our first cars. (i.e. manual everything, even windows, lol)

FYI: The average age of 911 owner is 59, which is higher than the 5 series. Becareful talking about age on this forum, LOL. I'm in the lower 30s, hope that help pull the average down a bit.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Enjoy in good health!!!! What a beautiful GTS.

One of my favorite cars was the E92 335i. It was so ahead of its time (and evocative of the old supra/skylines). I had one for few years and even after downpipes and a liberal tune, I never had an issue.

I don't love all the redundancies in BMW's line, but I realize the changes over the last few years have probably improved sales a lot (I would never drive a 320i, but I sure see a lot of college girls in them). I would love to daily drive an F10 M Sport 535i when the mileage guilt on my 991 starts to sink in.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:22 PM
soly20
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good. Congrats! Any interior photos?
Old 05-19-2016, 02:43 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 917k
I miss the (my) E92's V8. There's a lot of angst amongst 991.1 NA troops... anaalgously for BMW M-philes re E92 V8 which is a 4.0L that screams to 8300 (could be tweaked to go higher) and won Int'l Engine of the Year Award 3.0-4.0L for 5 years straight 2008-12, yes, over some great flat-6 NA engines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S65 vs new TT M3/M4.
And S65 was hand-built by one master mechanic at BMW Landshut - where BMW Motorsport bases, incl. the now moribund F1 programme (final 'marriage' at Regensberg). An abundance of halo emotion around that.

Apologies my but I hope germaine to OP.
Yeah the V8 in that car was amazing. BMW then going to a 3.0 twin turbo I-6 seemed like a step backward and was the main incentive for me to switch to Porsche.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:56 PM
ecstratrd
Intermediate

Location: Somewhere between Paddock Hill Bend and No Name Straight
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats! Nice looking car! White was my 2nd choice (in honor of the old Martini Racing 935s). The drive keeps getting better!
Old 05-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 917k
I miss the (my) E92's V8. There's a lot of angst amongst 991.1 NA troops... anaalgously for BMW M-philes re E92 V8 which is a 4.0L that screams to 8300 (could be tweaked to go higher) and won Int'l Engine of the Year Award 3.0-4.0L for 5 years straight 2008-12, yes, over some great flat-6 NA engines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S65 vs new TT M3/M4.
And S65 was hand-built by one master mechanic at BMW Landshut - where BMW Motorsport bases, incl. the now moribund F1 programme (final 'marriage' at Regensberg). An abundance of halo emotion around that.

Apologies my but I hope germaine to OP.
amen. i loved that engine so much s65b40 was my license plate. was made specifically for that car. now everything is just a tweak. kinda like the 991.2 and 991.2 S. arent they the same engine??
Old 05-19-2016, 03:12 PM
TinyTempo
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the club! Excellent choice, a white GTS I'm also a BMW convert (Z4 sDrive 35is was the most recent one), so I know how you feel. Enjoy your ride & greetings from Germany!

Markus
Old 05-19-2016, 03:12 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

I feel like we keep running into each other on random forums - M5Post, X5MPost, and now Rennlist.

Congrats!
Old 05-19-2016, 03:57 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome. What a great car. Love the color too! Wish I could have gotten the GTS........pictures of interior?
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by ispool
Enjoy in good health!!!! What a beautiful GTS.

One of my favorite cars was the E92 335i. It was so ahead of its time (and evocative of the old supra/skylines). I had one for few years and even after downpipes and a liberal tune, I never had an issue.

I don't love all the redundancies in BMW's line, but I realize the changes over the last few years have probably improved sales a lot (I would never drive a 320i, but I sure see a lot of college girls in them). I would love to daily drive an F10 M Sport 535i when the mileage guilt on my 991 starts to sink in.
Thank you. The F10 535i was probably one of my favorite practical BMWs of all time. Great MPG, lots of room, and trouble free engine.
Originally Posted by soly20
Looking good. Congrats! Any interior photos?
Thank you, I'll share interior photos soon. Black Leather with CF.
Originally Posted by ecstratrd
Congrats! Nice looking car! White was my 2nd choice (in honor of the old Martini Racing 935s). The drive keeps getting better!
Thank you so much.
Originally Posted by TinyTempo
Welcome to the club! Excellent choice, a white GTS I'm also a BMW convert (Z4 sDrive 35is was the most recent one), so I know how you feel. Enjoy your ride & greetings from Germany!

Markus
Thank you so much, so many BMW converts here. I still have an X5M, which I think is a better choice than Porsche's equivalent (Cayenne Turbo S).
Originally Posted by PatrickC23
I feel like we keep running into each other on random forums - M5Post, X5MPost, and now Rennlist.

Congrats!
Hahah, I need to stop changing cars. I swear, this is it. My credit looks like crap because I don't hold a car for more than 13mos. Apparently 13mos is the key to maintaining good credit.
Originally Posted by GraSox
Welcome. What a great car. Love the color too! Wish I could have gotten the GTS........pictures of interior?
Thank you so much. I'll snap a few shots soon. Black Leather with CF trim.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:11 PM
Dan Darst
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading every post on this thread, I will chime in, in case anyone is keeping score. I too am from the roundel, started in 1979, joined bmwcca in 1981, still a member, don't try to remember how many we had. But I do remember the point in time when I had enough. In 2000 the M5 came out with 500 horsepower. It wowed me, but it was all negated by weight. Having raced a Lotus Elan at 1260 pounds in the 1970's, wasn't tolerant of weight. Colin Chapman is known for the saying " adding horsepower makes you faster on the straights, subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere". So I admire Porsche for their discipline in minding weight. When they add horsepower they also lose weight.

So congrats on your evolution. Where we go from here has not been made yet.
White is apparently a better color. We got black, but all the bird crap we hit is white.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:26 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Great choice Jnosol. I'm also a hard-core BMW guy. I've been driving them since the 80s. I too had an F10 M5. In fact, I traded my 997.2 Targa4S for it. From about the second day of ownership, I hated the car. Powerful, and big and heavy. It was a pig. I hated that car for 14 months before I finally bit the bullet and got back into a 911. As Porsche drivers know, no amount of power overcomes excess weight.

Welcome to the club. Enjoy. You've got a beauty.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Darst
After reading every post on this thread, I will chime in, in case anyone is keeping score. I too am from the roundel, started in 1979, joined bmwcca in 1981, still a member, don't try to remember how many we had. But I do remember the point in time when I had enough. In 2000 the M5 came out with 500 horsepower. It wowed me, but it was all negated by weight. Having raced a Lotus Elan at 1260 pounds in the 1970's, wasn't tolerant of weight. Colin Chapman is known for the saying " adding horsepower makes you faster on the straights, subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere". So I admire Porsche for their discipline in minding weight. When they add horsepower they also lose weight.

So congrats on your evolution. Where we go from here has not been made yet.
White is apparently a better color. We got black, but all the bird crap we hit is white.
Thank you, Dan. Agree, more power isn't always better.

Originally Posted by hinckley
Great choice Jnosol. I'm also a hard-core BMW guy. I've been driving them since the 80s. I too had an F10 M5. In fact, I traded my 997.2 Targa4S for it. From about the second day of ownership, I hated the car. Powerful, and big and heavy. It was a pig. I hated that car for 14 months before I finally bit the bullet and got back into a 911. As Porsche drivers know, no amount of power overcomes excess weight.

Welcome to the club. Enjoy. You've got a beauty.
Thank you so much. Agreed.
-Jimmy
Old 05-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Very nice car. I went through similar thing before getting my C4S.

Went from WRX -> 335 -> E60 M5 (Loved the V10, but evenatually got tired of the weight) -> E46 M3 -> Z4M (had to scratch that convertible itch, same engine as E46, CSR suspension and lighter) -> F80 M3 -> 991.1 C4S

so was a bit all over the place, but definitely understand when you mentioned the heavier feeling.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I understand your point - and like many in this thread re PAG's focus on weight

But F10 M5 makes a great deal of sense as an A-bahn stormer; at that it absolutely excels, propelling 4 adults safely in comfort at very high-speed. But it sure is no sports car Fit for its real design purpose: absolutely. For track 'knifework' - no. We miss out because we don't have the A-bahn... which I will be driving Monday in my new 991.2 CS

I too have a history w/ the Roundel going back to the '80s

Quick Reply: Bimmer Addict's First Porsche - 2015 GTS