Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bimmer Addict's First Porsche - 2015 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 02:27 AM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats. 15 years of BMW before my GTS. Last one being an E92 M3.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:36 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Great looking car! Were those pics taken in Swope Park? My parents live in Kansas - Mission Hills! Enjoy the sweet ride!
Old 05-19-2016, 03:13 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lovely car: congrats!

I own both marques and appreciate them both. Just saw a headline today that the current gen 5er is the most successful exec car ever, 2m+ sold.

BMWs have their merits and history (the WW1 aircraft engines, including early jet engines in WW2), and so does Porsche (from 1930s VW 1 through to WW2 tanks to the 356- roots of the cars we love today).

It was the classic racing Porsches, though, that I learned about as a child, before finding BMW, so the tinder was lit first there.

To OP: enjoy your new P-car Club.

Last edited by 917k; 05-19-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:42 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
I miss the (my) E92's V8. There's a lot of angst amongst 991.1 NA troops... anaalgously for BMW M-philes re E92 V8 which is a 4.0L that screams to 8300 (could be tweaked to go higher) and won Int'l Engine of the Year Award 3.0-4.0L for 5 years straight 2008-12, yes, over some great flat-6 NA engines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S65 vs new TT M3/M4.
And S65 was hand-built by one master mechanic at BMW Landshut - where BMW Motorsport bases, incl. the now moribund F1 programme (final 'marriage' at Regensberg). An abundance of halo emotion around that.

Apologies my but I hope germaine to OP.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:12 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Talking about BMW addict! Welcome to the group, you'll find it more civilized here than Bimmerpost.

Just one recommendation, get her a Rennline mesh grill, she'll thank you.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:42 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Bimmers are just fine- but your GTS is in another dimension. Magnificent!

One suggestion: whatever your level of skill, take some time at the track with a Porsche experienced instructor. Despite the huge improvements Porsche has made over the years to make inherent capability accessible, there are performance nuances that match your observations about styling and feel.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

you're taking the tried and tested road that is BMW --> Porsche. i agree with you that the brand is losing it's way a bit, it started in earnest w the F series cars. i went from an e60 535 to an f10 550 which i hated. at the time i thought to myself "when is the last time a BMW has lost out to an Audi or an MB on performance and won out on luxury?" i think that the brand is just changing. my last car before this was a e92 M3 which i just loved though she was a bit porky. still that engine.. man i can't believe that thing actually made it to production, it's downright exotic.

now what they do really well (as you know) are the SUVs that should not be as sporty as they are (i merely have the DHP package on a 35, but it has great presence and great tech)

congrats on your GTS, such a tremendous car, at least personally for me i dont think it gets better. i mean yes it can be faster or flashier or more tech addled, but to me this is THE perfect car. i know i'm keeping mine for a very very long time.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:29 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Beautiful. Congratulations. The GTS in white is perfect.

I'm also another BMW convert - after my first ermmmm .... 'lively' drive in a Porsche, I realised that I hadn't really been driving a true sports car. After driving a new 5 Series as a loaner, I was done.
Thank you so much. I love BMWs for the price point. Arguably, no other cars drive like it in that price range. It's when I started flirting with six figure BMWs is when I realized there much sportier and fun to drive cars for the money.

Originally Posted by ddodds
Beautiful, congratulations!
Originally Posted by Holli82
11k on mine....0 added quarts of oil.

I left BMW after 2 M3's and never returned.

Congrats and enjoy
Thank you so much. Most BMWs I've own didn't burn oil. The S55 engine (M3/M4) for example is a beast on the track, the harder to driver the cooler it gets, and no oil burn. Just the V8TT that had trouble with burning oil. Bad design and BMW won't admit fault.
Originally Posted by CALSE
Congrats! I hung on to my M3 for back-up but my 991 is at a whole different driving level. Enjoy the break-in miles.
Thank you. M3 is a good daily fun car. M3 is my fav BMW I've ever owned.
Originally Posted by shellbmb
I'm just getting out of my M5 as well and looking at a 991. My M5 never needed a drop of oil in 21k miles.

The 991 I'm looking at does not have a backup camera. Is the visibility out of car pretty poor? I certainly don't think that would be a deal breaker. Just curious. The surround camera on the M5 was nice to have. But it's a much bigger car too.

Congrats! PDK or MT?
Thank you, PDK. I drove a manual since I was 15, but PDK is so much easier on the track. Hahah.

I had a 350z 9yrs ago and no backup camera. I was fine, we're just getting too spoiled. The visibility of this car is way better than a 350z, so you should be fine w/o a backup cam. I'm learning that most Porsche owners are purists, so camera = weight. Not many of my friends configured theirs with cameras.

The S63Tu is hit of miss. Oil burn is cause the turbos, low friction piston rings, and poor break-in procedure. The M5 I got was second hand, so the last driver probably didn't break-in properly. But many M5 owners are reporting oil burn, at least 1-4qt between oil changes. My X5M is bought brand new and I broke it in correctly, no oil burn at 12k miles.
Originally Posted by Chowster
Congratulations, a great looking car!

Lots of BMW converts here in RL. Including me... sold my E90 M3 after getting into my 991.1S.
Thank you. Lots of ex-BMW guys here.
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
its a well worn path many of us here have followed
welcome to the much more enlightened path ... LOL

bmw is seriously lost, has been for some time, regarding the driving/enthusiast crowd...more features, more weight, more motor, fatter and fatter cars that now can't change directions worth a dime, are numb to the touch and wallow and pitch ...over-stuffed modern day lincoln continentals from bavaria... performance cars for poseurs and status mobiles for those desperate to impress... don't know what M means anymore, it's diluted beyond recognition

sad for us (but good for their shareholders)...bow down to the almighty dollar/euro
Hahah, agreed and thank you.
Originally Posted by Harsany
Awesome car. Bye Bye BMW.
Thank you.
Originally Posted by mrhamamg
love it!!! literally went through the same progression as you last year and haven't looked back since. love the white on the gts, enjoy it!!
Thank you.
Originally Posted by -Ryan-
Thank you, so many ex-BMW guys here.
Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Great looking car! Were those pics taken in Swope Park? My parents live in Kansas - Mission Hills! Enjoy the sweet ride!
Thank you. Taken at Shawnee Mission Park. They don't live too far from me, Mission Hills is a very nice neighborhood. They're enjoying property value doubling in the past 10yrs then.
Originally Posted by 917k
Lovely car: congrats!

I own both marques and appreciate them both. Just saw a headline today that the current gen 5er is the most successful exec car ever, 2m+ sold.

BMWs have their merits and history (the WW1 aircraft engines, including early jet engines in WW2), and so does Porsche (from 1930s VW 1 through to WW2 tanks to the 356- roots of the cars we love today).

It was the classic racing Porsches, though, that I learned about as a child, before finding BMW, so the tinder was lit first there.

To OP: enjoy your new P-car Club.
Thank you so much, they both have interesting history in deed.
Originally Posted by trucheli
Talking about BMW addict! Welcome to the group, you'll find it more civilized here than Bimmerpost.

Just one recommendation, get her a Rennline mesh grill, she'll thank you.
Thank you. I like those grill, I noticed a lot of bugs are collecting in radiator area. I'm a mod *****, but was hoping to leave this one alone for more than a month.

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Bimmers are just fine- but your GTS is in another dimension. Magnificent!

One suggestion: whatever your level of skill, take some time at the track with a Porsche experienced instructor. Despite the huge improvements Porsche has made over the years to make inherent capability accessible, there are performance nuances that match your observations about styling and feel.
Thank you. I will do that, I know that Porsche are a lot different to track than other cars. Slow in and fast out.
Originally Posted by Highyo
you're taking the tried and tested road that is BMW --> Porsche. i agree with you that the brand is losing it's way a bit, it started in earnest w the F series cars. i went from an e60 535 to an f10 550 which i hated. at the time i thought to myself "when is the last time a BMW has lost out to an Audi or an MB on performance and won out on luxury?" i think that the brand is just changing. my last car before this was a e92 M3 which i just loved though she was a bit porky. still that engine.. man i can't believe that thing actually made it to production, it's downright exotic.

now what they do really well (as you know) are the SUVs that should not be as sporty as they are (i merely have the DHP package on a 35, but it has great presence and great tech)

congrats on your GTS, such a tremendous car, at least personally for me i dont think it gets better. i mean yes it can be faster or flashier or more tech addled, but to me this is THE perfect car. i know i'm keeping mine for a very very long time.
Thank you. BMW make great cars that ahead in performance compared to other sport luxury brand. Porsche is in its own category I feel like. They have loyal followers and it's a segment stuck between where BMW is and where the super car are at. Just my personally assessment. Thank you, I love staring at the GTS.
Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Congratulations!
Thank you so much.

THANK YOU everyone for the warm welcome. This forum so active, I'm very impressed. I learned that most of you are ex-Bimmers. I guess BMW is the gateway drug to Porsche, hahah. I'm reading as much as I can to catch up. Thanks in advance for dealing with some of my newbie questions.

Last edited by Jnosol; 05-19-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:48 AM
jto24
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats, buddy! I can't keep up with you and your cars haha I think after the F80, I'm going to get into a 911 variant of some kind. It's been almost 2 years since I last test drove some (991.1 C2 base and C2S) but I still remember that day vividly as the cars were phenomenal on those PA back roads

Enjoy!! Will be interested to hear your thoughts as your ownership progresses.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jto24
Congrats, buddy! I can't keep up with you and your cars haha I think after the F80, I'm going to get into a 911 variant of some kind. It's been almost 2 years since I last test drove some (991.1 C2 base and C2S) but I still remember that day vividly as the cars were phenomenal on those PA back roads

Enjoy!! Will be interested to hear your thoughts as your ownership progresses.
Thanks bud, when you going to join me? . I owned too many Bimmers, only one worth owning after my collection was the i8 or M3 ZCP. If you like boost, the new 991 got some serious tq. If you're like me who's bored with high powered cars and just want a good balance and sound, 991.1 has more than enough power. The flat N/A sound is very intoxicating.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice. Congratulations.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:17 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, congrats...nice color btw
Old 05-19-2016, 11:20 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!

Seems like more, and more of us hardcore 'M" guys are switching to Porsche. I tried to love my F80, but I just couldn't.

The only BMW cars in the family now, are my son's 528, and my E36 328, which will become a track only car soon.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:34 AM
bandi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I too miss some of the f10 "nannies"--like the surround camera pkg; it is just awesome! Backup camera in the 911 is good but took me awhile to trust it backing up along curbs. The 5-series are great cars but get pretty boring after a couple years. It's becoming more of a 70+ year old's car!

Quick Reply: Bimmer Addict's First Porsche - 2015 GTS