Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We must be really stupid

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Selling price - residual = the depreciation anyone would experience. The buyer (if purchasing) or lessor if leasing.

Where do they make their "profit"? The Money Factor/Interest Rate. The money factor is an interest rate. The cost of the lease to a lessee. In other words, the "rental fee".

Am I wrong??
Old 05-11-2016, 02:29 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 945 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
The money factor is an interest charge. But interest on what?
If memory serves the monthly finance charge part of the payment is equal to the translated interest rate (money factor x 2400) on the residual plus 1/2 of the depreciation.

For example, if the car cost $100,000 and the residual is $60,000 and the money factor is .002, your monthly finance charge would be $320. ($100,000 + $60,000 x .002 = $320).

.002 x 2400 translates to a 4.8% interest rate so if you add the residual to 1/2 the depreciation ($80,000) and multilpy by 4.8 that will give you an annual finance charge of $3840 or monthly finance charge of $320.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Must say, cross shopping some other brands for an SUV, etc. Porsche does really stand out compared to the competition. Just the feel, fit, quality of the finishes, etc. are top notch. You get what you pay for. In many cases, more expensive vehicles don't even measure up to Porsche.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche does really stand out compared to the competition. Just the feel, fit, quality of the finishes, etc. are top notch. You get what you pay for. In many cases, more expensive vehicles don't even measure up to Porsche.
Mr Piech, is that you?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Must say, cross shopping some other brands for an SUV, etc. Porsche does really stand out compared to the competition. Just the feel, fit, quality of the finishes, etc. are top notch. You get what you pay for. In many cases, more expensive vehicles don't even measure up to Porsche.
Have to agree. Been trying to get my wife out of her Q7 and into a comparable Cayenne S. The fit, finish, seats, everything is so much nicer in the Cayenne. Then again it's almost $30k more than what we paid for the top of the line Q7.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Mr Piech, is that you?
Ha ha.

Seriously, I have a big eye for the details and know what's good and better.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Such was not always the case, as many of us know. Materials in the 964 were...utilitarian.
The 928 was pretty luxurious for the time. Porsche played 'catch up' through the 996 and beyond, and without the various upgrades, materials in the 996 were a bit ticky-tacky. By the time the 997 hit, it was reaching a higher quality in their interior design and materials.
...Whereupon they were accused of building just another luxo-coupe, and caving to the well heeled but automotively uneducated status buyer.
Lesson: Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:44 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Enjoyed the read, nice post. Didn't know.
Yeah, it's a fascinating tale, there are many more details that of course didn't get published. Also, he just did it again in 30 hours (still beating Alex Roy) in a Benz he bought for $1500.

And for the record, all attempts to connect me to any of these immoral, illegal, and socially irredeemable shenanigans have been totally and completely discredited.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I live in Manhattan. Use the macan mostly. GTS and Rs usually weekends only. I live on the upper east side and it's not so bad. Messed up thing is I work on Long Island so I do the reverse commute. So I get to drive everyday. I love Manhattan but would prefer to live on the island. My wife, not so much. She likes the city more. So here we are. Life is full of trade offs. My kids are getting older and the move out to a house I'm hoping comes sooner than later.
A close friend lives in the sixties and has a house in Bridgehampton -- her business is for sale and she and hubby are itching to reverse their lives by living on LI and weekending at their apartment. A nice combo for sure.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:51 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Wow yes it did. For the record, I just thought it sounded stupid to live in a place where the potholes are so big they charge their own tolls per the OP... I've never lived in NYC. Maybe the pothole tolls aren't very expensive and not a big deal. How am I supposed to know that? I'm definitely not a trust fund baby though we were dirt poor when I grew up. I got through college with loans, not parental support. Honestly though, totally personal preference, I'd take the mountains of Washington where I grew up and the redwoods of California where I live now over the buildings and fancier culture of NYC any day. I totally understand how many other poeple would take the opposite stance, it's just not for me.
I love Manhattan, for the culture, the food, the personal anonymity, the shopping, the beauty of the parks. I don't live there, but keep a pied-a-terre. However, the west is a much better place to own a sports car. Owning a sports car in the Northeast is like owning a hand built mahogany sail boat in the desert, beautiful to look at, but essentially useless.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:29 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
If memory serves the monthly finance charge part of the payment is equal to the translated interest rate (money factor x 2400) on the residual plus 1/2 of the depreciation.

For example, if the car cost $100,000 and the residual is $60,000 and the money factor is .002, your monthly finance charge would be $320. ($100,000 + $60,000 x .002 = $320).

.002 x 2400 translates to a 4.8% interest rate so if you add the residual to 1/2 the depreciation ($80,000) and multilpy by 4.8 that will give you an annual finance charge of $3840 or monthly finance charge of $320.
Exactly. The 1/2 depreciation is the average of principle that was loaned.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 PM
drgek
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Exactly. The 1/2 depreciation is the average of principle that was loaned.
I think it's a little more complicated than that. If I remember my math from about a millennium ago, amortization schedules follow a natural logarithmic function. You would expect to have a higher finance charge at the beginning of a loan payback, because the interest applied to the outstanding balance will yield a higher amount. Then again, maybe leases work differently.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drgek
I think it's a little more complicated than that. If I remember my math from about a millennium ago, amortization schedules follow a natural logarithmic function. You would expect to have a higher finance charge at the beginning of a loan payback, because the interest applied to the outstanding balance will yield a higher amount. Then again, maybe leases work differently.

on a lease is a bit different, there is no advantage to paying a lease off early like a loan would be. the "interest charge" that we convert from money factor is not really interest. It's a rental fee.

Basically, the bank is buying the car and renting it out to you in a lease, giving you the option of buying it out. In a bunch of cases, in order to get out of the lease, you need to make the remaining payments on the lease, which is why it's hard to do so. If you want to buy out the car before the lease term ends, same thing, pay remaining payments + residual (+ sales tax in applicable cases).

The mf * 2400 is just saying it's equivilent to a x% interest rate loan, but it's not interest since you are not buying a car, you're renting so amortization doesn't apply.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stil_1
on a lease is a bit different, there is no advantage to paying a lease off early like a loan would be. the "interest charge" that we convert from money factor is not really interest. It's a rental fee.

Basically, the bank is buying the car and renting it out to you in a lease, giving you the option of buying it out. In a bunch of cases, in order to get out of the lease, you need to make the remaining payments on the lease, which is why it's hard to do so. If you want to buy out the car before the lease term ends, same thing, pay remaining payments + residual (+ sales tax in applicable cases).

The mf * 2400 is just saying it's equivilent to a x% interest rate loan, but it's not interest since you are not buying a car, you're renting so amortization doesn't apply.
Well explained.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Maybe the stupid part is living in NYC.

I still don't understand why a lease (long term rental) would have any sort of interest rate.
The Stupid Part is Living and Driving in NYC. I learned that lessson living in San :Francisco from being born and raised in LA County.

Its fine to have a Car in NYC, for trips out of the city. Of course I'm writing this half-heartedly. There would have to be special circumstances to live and drive to work in the 5 Burroughs.

Quick Reply: We must be really stupid