Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle under car

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016 | 08:31 PM
JimHJr
Advanced

Default Rattle under car

Hi all, I noticed a slight rattle under the rear of my car a week or so ago. Happened when hitting small bumps going under 40mph. Sounds like exhaust rubbing the ground or underneath the body. Shook the exhaust by hand, all seems fine. Nothing I car see wrong by looking under the car.

Don't DD it so I forgot about the rattle but drove it today and it has gotten much worse. Had my PA state inspection today by my local VW/Audi dealership (no Porsche dealer local). Thought they may find something but no it passed no problem, no issues.

I'm gonna put it on a friends lift in the next few days to see if I can find out what it is. Has anyone had any issue similar to this?

If I can't find anything it's going to the dealership as I got it Porsche CPO but at this point I'm kind of scared to drive it 100 miles to get it looked at. Debating on just calling Porsche and seeing what they want me to do. Man this sucks.
Old 05-09-2016 | 09:07 PM
JimHJr
Advanced

Thought I should mention a few more things. Car is a 12.5 C2S, PDK, PASM, PDCC. Had it inspected because I bought it out of state. Has 22k miles.
Old 05-09-2016 | 09:19 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Could be a lot of different things, but you started in the right way...

Some things to check-

- Small rocks stuck between bumper cover and heat shields at rear of wheel well;

- When up on lift remove the rear underbody panel - you may find a ton of rocks and other debri caught in there, esp if never removed before. Be sure you aren't under the panel when you take it off - warning from personal experience! You don't want that kind of shower!

- inspect linkages and connection points for rear suspension, and worst case look at top of strut mounting for a loose screw... Of course to do this you'll have to pull back some of the interior bits at the rear....

- check for rocks caught between brake caliper and shield. Others have reported getting rocks caught in there and rattling around.

- Oh and one last thought- check the exhaust valve flaps for operation. Possible a flapper is broken and rattling around in the valve.

Hope this helps you out.....

But most people might just take the car in under CPO I guess..... ;-)
Old 05-09-2016 | 09:52 PM
JimHJr
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I also wanted to say thanks for all your DIY's. Learned a ton from your site.

I'll check all on the things that you mentioned. Hopefully I'll get it on the lift tomorrow.

If I was closer to the dealer I'd take it in under CPO first thing. I guess that's the price I pay for living in the sticks.

Quick Reply: Rattle under car