Sponsored by:

991 coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Oh1-911
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991 coolant flush

Anyone have a DIY procedure or link for draining and re-filling the coolant on a '14 991 3.4L?

I did some searching here and on Youtube but did not find much.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 401 Posts

If I may ask ..... why do you want to change the coolant?
Old 05-04-2016, 02:53 AM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It's my understanding that you need a PIWIS II tester in order to open all the valves and cycle the pump in order to flush the coolant. The cooling system in the 991 is very complex with all sorts of baffles and heat exchangers to promote faster warm-up and better efficiency. Plus with all the plumbing to run the coolant to the front radiators there's no single low point to drain from.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Oh1-911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
If I may ask ..... why do you want to change the coolant?
No plans to change the coolant right away, it just seems like something that should be done every 50k-60k miles even though it's not listed on the maintenance schedule.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Oh1-911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arcoril
It's my understanding that you need a PIWIS II tester in order to open all the valves and cycle the pump in order to flush the coolant. The cooling system in the 991 is very complex with all sorts of baffles and heat exchangers to promote faster warm-up and better efficiency. Plus with all the plumbing to run the coolant to the front radiators there's no single low point to drain from.
Makes sense, I forgot about the valves. I guess it will just get a partial flush whenever I replace the water pump.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:36 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

6 years/100,000 miles is an appropriate service interval for coolant. It's not 1970.

Why do you need to change the water pump?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:56 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh1-911
Makes sense, I forgot about the valves. I guess it will just get a partial flush whenever I replace the water pump.
I'm hoping this pro-active step is not so necessary on the 991 like it is on the 996 and 997 series. Time will tell. I'll probably have my coolant done at about the 6 year mark (70,000ish miles). This will give me time to see if the pump should be done proactively, after we see a few more years of service life info and common mods of failure.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:58 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Not exactly correct Arcoril..... The PIWIS tool is only used for the bleeding process, but you can drain and refill coolant without it (but you SHOULD bleed with any refill!). There are multiple drain points, but no need to cycle fluid through "baffles or valves". When filling, you will need a vacuum tool (Porsche lists "filling device 9696 for vacuum-filling). I am guessing any decent vacuum tool would be sufficient.

I think this might have been described elsewhere, but just for those curious about the process....

Of course, make sure the coolant is cool before doing any of the following!

Prelim work:
1. Remove front wheels
2. Remove front part of front wheel housing liner
3. Remove rear underbody panel
You drain coolant from several locations:

From Engine
1. Open the coolant cap under engine-bay lid
2. Put a pan or bucket to collect coolant under the following drain plug positions(2):
3. Unscrew drain plug on the thermostat housing
4. Unscrew drain plug on the coolant guide tube
5. Let coolant drain
6. Screw-on the two drain plugs removed in steps 3 and 4 above, using new sealing rings (tighten to 25 Nm or 19 ftlb)
From Radiators
1. Place collection pan or bucket under location of coolant hose
2. Pull off coolant hose (there are three hoses for supply and return to the side radiators - the one you want to pull-off is the lower one...)
3. Remove spring clamp on plug-in coupling
4. Point hose down into bucket and let drain
5. Refit the spring clamp
6. Check the O-rings and replace if necessary (coat with lubricant)
7. Refit the coolant hose and pull to check that it is secure
Underbody Pipes at Rear
1. Place collection pan or bucket under drain point
2. Remove the spring clamps
3. Pull-off coolant supply and return hose, and collect draining coolant
4. Refit spring clamps
5. Check O-rings and replace if necessary
6. Re-fit coolant hoses after draining
7. Pull on hoses to be sure they are securely held in place!
With all coolant drained, and hoses, clamps etc. back in place, you can move on to refilling coolant... Leave the coolant cap off as that is where you'll connect your vacuum filler.

Using a vacuum filler, connect the filler and return hoses, and set the pressure level to 8 bar. If you need help with vacuum filling, that is for another post....

Once you get the refill done, simply replace the underbody panel, wheel well liners and front wheels, and you are good to go! (Of course you should BLEED the system, which is where you'll likely need the PIWIS tool).

Disclaimer- I don't recall if there are any additional steps for the third, center or X51/PowerKit radiator. Could be that you will have to remove the front bumper cover to access the hoses, but should be just like the process for side radiators....
The following users liked this post:
SpeedCircuit (01-28-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 09:06 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Not exactly correct Arcoril..... The PIWIS tool is only used for the bleeding process, but you can drain and refill coolant without it (but you SHOULD bleed with any refill!). There are multiple drain points, but no need to cycle fluid through "baffles or valves". When filling, you will need a vacuum tool (Porsche lists "filling device 9696 for vacuum-filling). I am guessing any decent vacuum tool would be sufficient.

I think this might have been described elsewhere, but just for those curious about the process....

Of course, make sure the coolant is cool before doing any of the following!

Prelim work:1. Remove front wheels
2. Remove front part of front wheel housing liner
3. Remove rear underbody panel

You drain coolant from several locations:

From Engine1. Open the coolant cap under engine-bay lid
2. Put a pan or bucket to collect coolant under the following drain plug positions(2):
3. Unscrew drain plug on the thermostat housing
4. Unscrew drain plug on the coolant guide tube
5. Let coolant drain
6. Screw-on the two drain plugs removed in steps 3 and 4 above, using new sealing rings (tighten to 25 Nm or 19 ftlb)

From Radiators1. Place collection pan or bucket under location of coolant hose
2. Pull off coolant hose (there are three hoses for supply and return to the side radiators - the one you want to pull-off is the lower one...)
3. Remove spring clamp on plug-in coupling
4. Point hose down into bucket and let drain
5. Refit the spring clamp
6. Check the O-rings and replace if necessary (coat with lubricant)
7. Refit the coolant hose and pull to check that it is secure

Underbody Pipes at Rear1. Place collection pan or bucket under drain point
2. Remove the spring clamps
3. Pull-off coolant supply and return hose, and collect draining coolant
4. Refit spring clamps
5. Check O-rings and replace if necessary
6. Re-fit coolant hoses after draining
7. Pull on hoses to be sure they are securely held in place!

With all coolant drained, and hoses, clamps etc. back in place, you can move on to refilling coolant... Leave the coolant cap off as that is where you'll connect your vacuum filler.

Using a vacuum filler, connect the filler and return hoses, and set the pressure level to 8 bar. If you need help with vacuum filling, that is for another post....

Once you get the refill done, simply replace the underbody panel, wheel well liners and front wheels, and you are good to go! (Of course you should BLEED the system, which is where you'll likely need the PIWIS tool).

Disclaimer- I don't recall if there are any additional steps for the third, center or X51/PowerKit radiator. Could be that you will have to remove the front bumper cover to access the hoses, but should be just like the process for side radiators....
Interesting, indeepth procedure, I would add that PIWIS is not the only tool that can trigger el vaccum routine in the ECU, it can be done with the Autel MS906bt, there are a couple of youtube guys that have made the procedure. I am making my research if Launch has similar capabilities, maybe someone can confirm.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:44 AM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A very timely thread. I have a 2012.5 991.1 with 64K miles, I had the coolant flushed 4.5Y ago, is it time to change it again. With its age is it worth doing the thermostat and coolant pump. Or why change it if its not broken?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:25 AM
TomiK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I would just leave it be, unless your water pump is toast. I struggled to properly bleed the system when I DIY'ed my Boxster water pump. More recently, the dealership struggled to do the same when they replaced my 991.2 water pump. They had to keep the car a few extra days as the cooling system was not operating optimally, in their words.

AFAIK, they did not replace the thermostat.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:09 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

What is the actual change interval on the coolant? All I can find reference to is checking the levels and topping it off, but nothing about actually flushing the system entirely.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:34 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
What is the actual change interval on the coolant? All I can find reference to is checking the levels and topping it off, but nothing about actually flushing the system entirely.
I've read at least one mention of it being lifetime, but that's a sham. Coolant is supposed to be flushed every couple years, but virtually no one does that and modern coolants are usually good to 4 or 5 without much issue.

Coolant has a finite life, shortened by heat cycling and contamination.

4yr/40k seems reasonable. Several Porsche dealers state 30k and 40k for coolant maintenance, which amounts to inspection and replacement if it's bad.
The following users liked this post:
koala (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 12:42 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
I've read at least one mention of it being lifetime, but that's a sham. Coolant is supposed to be flushed every couple years, but virtually no one does that and modern coolants are usually good to 4 or 5 without much issue.

Coolant has a finite life, shortened by heat cycling and contamination.

4yr/40k seems reasonable. Several Porsche dealers state 30k and 40k for coolant maintenance, which amounts to inspection and replacement if it's bad.
Appreciate it. I am adding this to my list!
Old 08-11-2022, 12:52 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 453 Posts

done with the the water pump at 23K,im at 39K, shouldnt have to worry about it for a long time.

Quick Reply: 991 coolant flush