991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 991.2 Base Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016 | 11:21 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Anyone check out the rear camera on the 991.2 -- hoping it's improved from the my 2012 and 2013 Cayennes as the picture / definition was poor. Have a 911 Turbo on order.
Old 05-03-2016 | 11:32 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by oalvarez
thank you for sharing your thoughts. i have to ask though, why the mention of the comparison/replacement of the GTS.1? i would think that it's obvious that it's not, maybe others don't? there will be a new GTS .2, and then possibly more variants down the road. they're just different, but i still don't understand the reason to mention such. isn't the topic about the base 991.2 test drive? perhaps you also own a GTS.1 and hence why you mentioned it. just curious is all.

as for the SOUND of the base car without PSE AND the C2S with PSE, it basically echos what i mentioned in some other thread about the exhaust noise of the new .2 motor (in my case it was a C4S.2 that i heard). you say it sounded just fine both inside and outside the cabin, but some other person in this forum said he couldn't hear the motor inside the cabin at all (let's please not start with "maybe one car had a problem" or "maybe one tester was hard of hearing" nonsense). i think the car i heard sounded absolutely fine....good even....hec, maybe even great! i'll assume that you don't think it sounded horrible in any way. it's great to "hear" that you were able to gain feedback of the motor from inside. i love it that you thought the exhaust noise wasn't "terrible or horrible." of course, sound is subjective so the hec with all of what i just wrote.

as for the .2 cars having turbo lag/not having turbo lag, it sounds like it wasn't something that you took notice to, or that made the drive unpleasant, or that made driving it any less fun than a NA car. you go as far as speaking to the linear aspect of the power delivery. is there anything you didn't like about how the motor made power? we're talking about the lesser powered base motor, not even the one in the higher spec S model, and you really liked it.

"the car is still a 911." i love that statement and find very little not to like about the new car. again, thanks for sharing your thoughts!
I mentioned the GTS because it's my favorite car of the .1 series, and I can see that it might be difficult to move from a GTS to a .2 S or base. However, for me the move from a .1 4S to a .2 4S makes a lot of sense. I want a new car, I can get the color combo I like, it will suit my driving style, and I happened to love the styling changes. I ordered my .2 without having set foot in one, so today's drive was highly anticipated. It turned out to be great. I've had a slew of turbocharged cars in the past, so I'm familiar with the "step on the gas, count to 2, whoa!" feeling. There was none of that in this car. It just seemed very smooth, and drove like a 911. And it sounded good, too. Anyway, my car should be here in a few very long weeks, so hopefully my manual S will be a notch above the PDK base that I drove and I'll like it even more.
Old 05-03-2016 | 11:56 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

^ i hope so too. i think the new cars are great, congrats in advance.
Old 05-04-2016 | 03:07 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by philg3
Anyone check out the rear camera on the 991.2 -- hoping it's improved from the my 2012 and 2013 Cayennes as the picture / definition was poor. Have a 911 Turbo on order.
I have the rear camera on my 2016 991.1

Is this different than the 991.2?

It is very sharp. Also has guidelines based on steering input, and interfaces with the parking sensors with a silhouette of the car superimposed showing the surrounding obstacle vicinity.
Old 05-04-2016 | 02:38 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
I have the rear camera on my 2016 991.1

Is this different than the 991.2?

It is very sharp. Also has guidelines based on steering input, and interfaces with the parking sensors with a silhouette of the car superimposed showing the surrounding obstacle vicinity.
Don't know if the camera is different in the 991.2 versus the 991.1, although with the new infotainment / nav system, chances are it is different to some degree as the display is new, and often such systems are kitted with components to provide an optimal result. Chances are it's fine.
Old 05-04-2016 | 08:41 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

I have the .2 and the camera is very good. However it does not come close to the 360 camera in my MB.
Old 05-05-2016 | 01:51 PM
DNorby
Racer

the two things that bother me about the new .2:

1. A composite oil pan - in my experience plastic always fails.

2. PDK "in between gears" - it has some new gas-saving feature that somehow runs 2 gears at the same time-will this cause more wear on the clutch plates?

I have a 2013 S with MT, SPASM, hard-top, PDCC, and the little clock on the dashboard. Given the cost of these cars, I think I will stick with mine for quite some time.
Old 05-05-2016 | 03:00 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DNorby
the two things that bother me about the new .2: 1. A composite oil pan - in my experience plastic always fails. 2. PDK "in between gears" - it has some new gas-saving feature that somehow runs 2 gears at the same time-will this cause more wear on the clutch plates? I have a 2013 S with MT, SPASM, hard-top, PDCC, and the little clock on the dashboard. Given the cost of these cars, I think I will stick with mine for quite some time.
They dropped the new engine onto the ground from about 7 feet repeatedly and the plastic oil pan held up fine.

Not really possible to run two gears at the same time so Id like to know more about this.

If I had an older .1 that I had ordered the way I want I would not change either. Mostly like if my current 991 was set up like yours I would keep it too.
Old 05-05-2016 | 03:15 PM
DNorby
Racer

My point about plastic failing is as it ages it becomes brittle and weakens. GM tried a composite material on some intake manifolds which were not successful.
Old 05-05-2016 | 03:15 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
They dropped the new engine onto the ground from about 7 feet repeatedly and the plastic oil pan held up fine.

Not really possible to run two gears at the same time so Id like to know more about this.

If I had an older .1 that I had ordered the way I want I would not change either. Mostly like if my current 991 was set up like yours I would keep it too.
Here's car and driver's except on that:
"The PDK automatic transmission has seven gears, but there are times—for example, when crawling through a city at moderate speed—that none of those gears are just right for best efficiency. This is particularly true in the lower three gears, which are spread further apart. Porsche’s solution is radical: engage two gears at once, partially. Each of the output shafts are coupled to the engine via their own multiplate wet clutch. By engaging both clutches very lightly to allow plenty of slippage, the transmission operates at a ratio that essentially splits the difference between the two gears engaged. Of course, as soon as you step into it, the transmission picks one gear or the other to avoid frying the slipping clutches with lots of power. The Turbo’s PDK already had this function, but it’s a first for the 911 Carrera."
Old 05-05-2016 | 03:33 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Stil_1
Here's car and driver's except on that:
"The PDK automatic transmission has seven gears, but there are times—for example, when crawling through a city at moderate speed—that none of those gears are just right for best efficiency. This is particularly true in the lower three gears, which are spread further apart. Porsche’s solution is radical: engage two gears at once, partially. Each of the output shafts are coupled to the engine via their own multiplate wet clutch. By engaging both clutches very lightly to allow plenty of slippage, the transmission operates at a ratio that essentially splits the difference between the two gears engaged. Of course, as soon as you step into it, the transmission picks one gear or the other to avoid frying the slipping clutches with lots of power. The Turbo’s PDK already had this function, but it’s a first for the 911 Carrera."
sounds promising for clutch longevity.
Old 05-05-2016 | 03:33 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

2. PDK "in between gears" - it has some new gas-saving feature that somehow runs 2 gears at the same time-will this cause more wear on the clutch plates?
There's no reason to worry; the slipping clutch plates will last at least until 40k miles, so Porsche won't be on the hook for it.
Old 05-05-2016 | 04:20 PM
Tenere12
Intermediate

To the new owners of 991.2's with manual transmissions, can you discuss how you like the gearbox and the clutch feel?
Old 05-05-2016 | 06:24 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stil_1
Here's car and driver's except on that: "The PDK automatic transmission has seven gears, but there are times—for example, when crawling through a city at moderate speed—that none of those gears are just right for best efficiency. This is particularly true in the lower three gears, which are spread further apart. Porsche’s solution is radical: engage two gears at once, partially. Each of the output shafts are coupled to the engine via their own multiplate wet clutch. By engaging both clutches very lightly to allow plenty of slippage, the transmission operates at a ratio that essentially splits the difference between the two gears engaged. Of course, as soon as you step into it, the transmission picks one gear or the other to avoid frying the slipping clutches with lots of power. The Turbo’s PDK already had this function, but it’s a first for the 911 Carrera."
Yikes! That doesnt sound good at all. Except for the fact they have been doing it on 400+ hp Turbos already. Do those have a history or reputation of burning through clutches?
Old 05-05-2016 | 06:25 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

My point about plastic failing is as it ages it becomes brittle and weakens. GM tried a composite material on some intake manifolds which were not successful.
That can be true but how dare you compare Porsche to GM.

:-(

Quick Reply: Drove a 991.2 Base Today