Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Aria" - An Audiophile's Dream 991

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:08 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks beyond amazing. Like a much better version of what I did to my Renault 5 in '97. Good times!

Last edited by MagicRat; 04-24-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:59 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
This is a recent project that was completed at Musicar Northwest in Portland, Oregon.
This is an inspiring thread.

With the time correction built into the new DSP we can achieve a perfect image for the main listening position. Using a center channel speaker can help give that experience to both passenger and driver, but at the expense of a some focus in the imaging. Because we wanted to create the best possible sound for the driver, no center channel is needed.
This! The center speaker destroys the imaging. With a time-aligned system with no center speaker you can achieve imaging that's like being on the stage.

Last edited by worf928; 04-24-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:40 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by dds007
If you guys ever make it to Texas, let me know!
Just buy your next car from Sunset. We'll outfit prior to delivery, hahah.

Originally Posted by worf928
This is an inspiring thread.

This! The center speaker destroys the imaging. With a time-aligned system with no center speaker you can achieve imaging that's like being on the stage.
Thank you, it takes a lot for most people to get over the mental block of using less speakers than the factory system to get a superior sound. I understand though — unless you've experienced a two channel car with great time alignment, you really don't know how magical it can be.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:45 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Next step is to work on the lower half of the door. First we needed to acoustically treat the door to create a better environment for the speakers. The 991 has very little sound damping material from the factory, and I'm sure that's to save weight. We added just enough butyl-based material in the door to lower the panel resonance. Some folks go overboard with this stuff and add 30 pounds in each door — not necessary! I didn't get a pic after we applied the material, but I found one of a 991 Targa we did to give you an idea of the coverage.

After the damping is applied we precision cut a layer of mass-loaded vinyl to go between the door and the door panel. This is a two-layer material that has a closed-cell foam to absorb road noise and a thick vinyl sheet to reject what it can't absorb. Very effective process.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

AMAZING work!
Old 04-24-2016, 04:08 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
AMAZING work!
Thanks Larry, I'll have more pictures up of the rest of the build real soon.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:09 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The factory door woofers were a 220mm diameter and we're replacing them with a 165mm Dynaudio E650 woofer. A couple things we need to take into account here are mounting depth, hardware locations, and acoustic coupling.

We fabricate a new adapter out of multiple layers of HDPE. The base layer adapts to the car and lets us use the factory mounting hardware for the OEM speakers. The second layer adapts to the new woofer size and allows us to install our foam coupler. The coupler ring essentially meets with the door panel grill to concentrate all of the energy into the cabin. Not doing this can lead to unnecessary vibrations and a loss in potential.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:14 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The midrange also needed adapters. Mostly for converting a 3-hole pattern to a 4-hole speaker. This one's made from .25" acrylic and then the same type of coupler ring is attached on top. Also, we run new wiring into each door for all of the new speakers and solder on molex connectors for serviceability. In the last picture you can see both speakers and the acoustic treatment fitted to the driver's door.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:34 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Subwoofer control is custom fit into the smoker's package with a hand-milled and painted acrylic ****.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:09 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Beautiful work. I'd be interested to see your analysis of the Burmester setup along with the Bose. It seems like a no-brainer this would be worlds ahead of the Bose, just wondering how it would compare to the other option. http://www.whathifi.com/features/han...r-sound-system
Old 04-25-2016, 03:57 AM
JerryAlbee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

approximate cost ?
Old 04-25-2016, 05:21 AM
Boba_kz
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you plan order production for this solution?
Old 04-25-2016, 10:41 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGreen
Beautiful work. I'd be interested to see your analysis of the Burmester setup along with the Bose. It seems like a no-brainer this would be worlds ahead of the Bose, just wondering how it would compare to the other option. http://www.whathifi.com/features/han...r-sound-system

I'd like to know this too. I love my Burmester, but the depth and resolution doesn't compare to my system at home (which, at a fifth of the price, it wouldn't, but still...)
Old 04-25-2016, 12:15 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrGreen
I read this a while back and thought it was a well-written article from the perspective of someone that listens to nothing but factory audio systems. I've spent a considerable amount of time listening to both platforms and I can say that the Burmester is one of the best sounding factory systems available, however, doesn't even come close to the resolution and focus in the Aria system.

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I'd like to know this too. I love my Burmester, but the depth and resolution doesn't compare to my system at home (which, at a fifth of the price, it wouldn't, but still...)
It's funny you mention that, the owner of this TTS has a pair of TAD CR1's on Marantz monos at home($100k+ system). After listening to the Aria he said it's a very close second, and wouldn't at all be upset if his power was out and he was forced to listen in the car.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:29 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sneak peek of the amplifiers...

Quick Reply: Project "Aria" - An Audiophile's Dream 991