Sponsored by:

C2S vs 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 AM
Speedster91
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lou
I have a Carrera 4 base (PDK). Although I consider myself an enthusiast, the likelihood of tracking my car is slim to none. I have a short, but spirited commute to work every day. When I was close to pulling the trigger, I started wondering if I was going to have "S" envy...but I was torn, because, I really love the wider rear...So I test drove it, in real life conditions and I really liked it....

3 happy months later...
The handling and power of this car is far greater than I could ever use on public roads. The 3.4 has PLENTY of power; it gets into triple digits very very quickly...It handles and grips so well it inspires me to go around entrance/exit ramps faster and more confidently than any other car I have ever owned...This is a whole lotta car, man!

Lack of Happiness? No way-- I am ecstatic--I love this thing!

The elders have spoken

Music to my ears. I also don't plan of tracking it at least for the time being and have a short commute. I am pleased to hear you talk about your C4 with such high praise.

Thank you!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 AM
GTW4CG
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Carrera 4 base (PDK). Although I consider myself an enthusiast, the likelihood of tracking my car is slim to none. I have a short, but spirited commute to work every day. When I was close to pulling the trigger, I started wondering if I was going to have "S" envy...but I was torn, because, I really love the wider rear...So I test drove it, in real life conditions and I really liked it....

3 happy months later...
The handling and power of this car is far greater than I could ever use on public roads. The 3.4 has PLENTY of power; it gets into triple digits very very quickly...It handles and grips so well it inspires me to go around entrance/exit ramps faster and more confidently than any other car I have ever owned...This is a whole lotta car, man!

The elders have spoken
I agree with Big Lou 100%. I've had my base Carrera 4 with PDK for 4 months and love it. Plenty of power. I took it to a PCA driver skills day to learn how it handles. In the wet skid pad, it is extremely difficult to get it to break traction. An oversteer skid can be done, but you really have to work at it. It gives me a lot of confidence driving it in the rainy Pacific Northwest.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:18 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

3 happy months later...

The elders have spoken

Really glad for you, you made the right choice then.

In the end, this is another version of the "base vs S" discussion, and this path has probably been beaten already. I just wanted to convey how, without the ability to test extensively all the 4 options (base, S, base 4 and 4S), I discarded the base 4 when trying to narrow down all the on line inventory searches.

I am curious on one point, what is the % of depreciation on the base 4 vs the 4S? Any ideas here?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Proper true snow tired WITH studs would probably give you enough traction in a Right Wheel Drive (according to Chris Harris), I've made it up to Tahoe while it was snowing and had forgotten to turn 4WD on and never noticed.

However, regular winter tires just don't cut it in the snow with RWD. You need AWD if you're not going to wear studs.

That being said, I'd get the the 2S and just have another car to drive when it's snowey. If you get decent dumps, you need a higher clearance car anyway.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:40 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know of studded tires like Hakka's for the 991.2, any model.
I don't know of any Nokian's that fit any 991.2, I have looked.
My 991.2 C4S is a Daily Driver here in SE Wisconsin, so I consider AWD a must.
Better to have a C4 than a C2S when it's slippery.
I've been driving 4WD and AWD vehicles for 40 years and no way is a 2WD vehicle, front or rear drive, a match for 4WD or AWD!-Richard
Old 04-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in a mountain/high elevation region. I believe, and my SA attested, that most purchase a "4" in my area and he encouraged me to do the same. If my car were a DD I suppose I would have been more drawn to the "4." In my case, my interest in the 991 purchase was for a sports car the principal characteristics of which would be lost, in my judgement, in snowy/winter conditions so I employ my X5 for all of my "4" needs and my 991 does not come out in the winter, or even the rain. As for the ascetics of the wider rear, it's hard for me to see a difference by casual observation. As for handling, AWD may have its advantages -- my test drive of a "4" did not readily reveal an appreciable difference to me -- and, I admit, I was interested in the "2" from the beginning. I love the traditional "push" form behind. Just my two pennies.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:10 PM
t0mas
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Montreal - and daily drive a C2 all year. Having lived in TO most of my life, I can tell you we get a bit more snow here My last 2 Porsche's were Cayenne's. I also had a Boxster that I drove daily in TO for 6 years all year round.

What I can tell you is that the single most important factor in winter drivability is tires. Yes, four wheel drive will give you more traction. Yes, four wheel drive will help you accelerate faster in slick conditions. However, four wheel drive does not make you invincible in snow or ice.

And, four wheel drive is generally considered a lot less engaging to drive because it won't break loose quite as easily (depending on what you consider fun).

If the weather gets really bad in terms of snowfall, the reality is that you will not have enough clearance under the car, so four wheel drive or not, you will most likely not take it out.

That said - choice is good - and Porsche gives us choice!
Old 04-19-2016, 04:16 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

The gap narrows in the .2...

If it were a daily driver then the 991.2/4 would be my choice(all $ being equal). I wanted the 4S but was looking for a deal and in the South as a weekend car the 2S was my choice and ~8k less for similar options.

For a fun commuter and/or where you live - you definitely make the right choice!

Quick Reply: C2S vs 4