Battery Charger/Emergency Bonnet Opener

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:57 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Battery Charger/Emergency Bonnet Opener

Hey guys,

I was reading the active thread on the Porsche Battery Charger and the problems with the cigarette lighter location shutting down. I have always use the Battery Tender charger so I tackled the job today. It came out great.

The Battery Tender plug is accessible with the hood closed. No problems doing so.

When attaching the plug to the battery, as mention in another thread, the battery cable nuts will not come off so I used a spade connector and went to the not threaded (head end) of the bolt.

I have one of those emergency battery jumper things (have not had to use it yet) and theoretically it should give power the battery and open the hood then use it to start the car. I hope I never need to use it.

I guess my reasoning for this would be if a person had a dead battery while not at home. Most likely won't happen, but.............

Pictures now.
Attached Images       

Last edited by arlan in arizona; 04-11-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:01 AM
CChung
Advanced

I'm the thread starter on the other thread you mentioned. So you were able to loosen the battery terminal nut so you can slip the connector on the other end but you can't take the nut completely off?
Old 04-11-2016, 01:23 AM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Originally Posted by CChung
I'm the thread starter on the other thread you mentioned. So you were able to loosen the battery terminal nut so you can slip the connector on the other end but you can't take the nut completely off?
Correct, the nuts will not come off. Just loosen until the gap appears at the end with the square head and slip the split connector in and tighten the nut. It is a really slick way to make the connection. I'm glad I found this. It is a much better way to connect.

You could put in behind the nut. I have before, but they deform.
Attached Images  

Last edited by arlan in arizona; 04-11-2016 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:13 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently ordered one of these. It looks like I'm going to have to cut them since the nut won't come off

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-260) Comfort Connect 1/4" Eyelet for M6 Smaller Batteries: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-260) Comfort Connect 1/4" Eyelet for M6 Smaller Batteries: Automotive
Old 04-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
I recently ordered one of these. It looks like I'm going to have to cut them since the nut won't come off

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-260) Comfort Connect 1/4" Eyelet for M6 Smaller Batteries: Automotive
Not necessarily. You can connect the eyelet to the circled positive post. The black eyelet can be connected to the battery holder bolt underneath the wiper cowl.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2016, 01:03 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Not necessarily. You can connect the eyelet to the circled positive post. The black eyelet can be connected to the battery holder bolt underneath the wiper cowl.
Great suggestion! I'll post some pics when the eyelets show up in the mail.

Quick Reply: Battery Charger/Emergency Bonnet Opener