Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot SS Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:56 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sanantone
Great deal. My 2 cents...Costco has scratched wheels on 2 of my cars. They repaired both but as a result I would not bring my P cars to them. Family hauler is fine but nothing more than that.
If you opt to go, recommend taking pics of your wheels before installation and walking around the car with the manager before and after installation. Good luck and enjoy.
^^^^ THAT is great advice. ^^^^ only problem? that once the damage is done it's too late and there's no going back.

Originally Posted by Penn4S
On my 3rd set of MPSS on various P cars. Quieter, better wet grip, better dry grip all around more secure and better handling tire than PZeros in my opinion.
Concur. Have now owned both (on 991s) and too think that the MSS are a bit quieter.

That Costco price (including installation) is one hecuva deal.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Yes the MPSS do match front and rear.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,230 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sanantone
Great deal. My 2 cents...Costco has scratched wheels on 2 of my cars. They repaired both but as a result I would not bring my P cars to them. Family hauler is fine but nothing more than that.
If you opt to go, recommend taking pics of your wheels before installation and walking around the car with the manager before and after installation. Good luck and enjoy.

Do you think Costco knows how to remove and reinstall Center Lock wheels?

Never mind . . . .
Old 04-09-2016, 02:46 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Just to chime in, I had NTB absolutely butcher one of my wheels too. I had to send it in for refinishing.

I now only trust shops that deal with high-end cars. I'm fortunate to have RAC Performance nearby and use them for tire work.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shotgun
Actually "IS" a great deal! Includes tax, installation, disposal, road hazard warranty, nitrogen tire inflation, new rubbertire stems + tire lifetime rotation, balancing, inflation checks and flat repairs...
Just wanted to point out that the new rubber stems are only for vehicles that don't have the TPMS sensor built into the valve stems. Our cars have metal valve stems that are integrated into the TPMS sensor. In cases like these they substitute a TPMS rebuild kit (essentially just a new rubber o ring) in place of a valve stem replacement.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:06 AM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Rears in 295 are not showing up for me, unfortunately.
When you pull up the "Porsche" option it shows that the required set consists of different front & rear sizes - of course, they may be "sold out" already...
Old 04-10-2016, 09:26 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Do you think Costco knows how to remove and reinstall Center Lock wheels?

Never mind . . . .
Yeah i was thinking the same thing. Not sure I would let Costco change my tires but that is a great price.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:05 PM
White14-911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hesitated for a day but then ordered - state inspection this month and have not seen the MPSS in stock anywhere else.

Had them installed at the Fairfax, VA Costco this AM and could not be more pleased with the experience. I called yesterday to verify they had them, the manager got on the phone and asked if I could be there at 745 (they open at 0800) because he wanted to make sure his most experience tech was available to do the mounting. In and out in a hour, $1,365

I bought the car with 9K miles so do not know what the P Zero's were like new and have only driven 20 miles of the MPSS, but so far I am extremely impressed. They are quieter, the ride is smoother and it feels like I am more in touch with the road
Old 04-10-2016, 02:51 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

I ended up swapping MPSS for the P Zeros on my 997.1. Agree with above. A much better riding/handling tire. I have always wondered why Porsche doesn't just use the MPSS stock, like BMW does, as they are cheaper than P Zeros (at least they used to be a lot cheaper). I wonder though if it has something to do with longevity. When I finally replaced the front P Zeros, it was b/c of age. Still with good tread I think at well more than 20K miles.
Jim
Old 04-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Mine Just Shipped!
Tire Rack
Size: 305/30ZR20
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: (103Y)
UTQG: 300 AA A
Qty:Per Tire:

$428.00 Availability: 04/11/16
Old 04-12-2016, 01:45 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Ditto car25 on the 305s. I ordered from Tire Rack in February when there was no estimated ship date. No idea at all when they would be available. I had 6/32 in front and 4-5/32 in rears on my P-Zeros - but I'll put 12K miles/year with some spirited driving so I just ordered "blind" so I'd have them when I needed them. They shipped 4/8 and should be here any day. I'll probably install in July or early August. But I have them. Almost.

gordon

Update - they arrived today. 245's for the front mfg week 43, 2015. 305s on the rear mfg week 7 2016.

Last edited by beaverlake; 04-12-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:28 AM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Costco

Originally Posted by porsche42
Yeah i was thinking the same thing. Not sure I would let Costco change my tires but that is a great price.
I MUST give kudo's to the Huntsville, AL., COSTCO warehouse. They did an absolutely superb job of installing my MPSS tires! Josh Lawson, the tire store manager, acknowledged that most Porsche owners are concerned about workmanship and he assured me that they would take their time and do the job properly. Prior to starting he inspected the car with me, I made photos of the wheels and he took personal charge of the installation. 90 minutes later, the job was done...

BTW, the Michelin's, to me, are MUCH quieter and feel smoother than the replaced P-Zeros' - Highly recommend the service and product (COSTCO & Michelin MPSS)
Old 04-17-2016, 09:36 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Two Q's for anyone that has replaced tires on their 991:
1) Are the MPSS you are getting "N"-spec tires (I don't see any that are on the TireRack website), or are you using either the "K1/2/3" Ferrari tire or the non-branded-spec tire?
2) New tires are typically quieter than worn tires - this has always been the case on every car I have owned. When you say the MPSS are quieter, has anyone compared new P-Zero to new MPSS for loudness (or worn tires to worn tires)?

Cheers,
Martin
Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by VIC_50th
1) Are the MPSS you are getting "N"-spec tires (I don't see any that are on the TireRack website), or are you using either the "K1/2/3" Ferrari tire or the non-branded-spec tire?
2) New tires are typically quieter than worn tires - this has always been the case on every car I have owned. When you say the MPSS are quieter, has anyone compared new P-Zero to new MPSS for loudness (or worn tires to worn tires)?

Cheers,
Martin
I replaced the P0's with MPSS just because I hated the ride and the noise of the P0's. After 10K miles, it's time to replace the rears. The MPSS have been quieter and drove better the entire time.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by VIC_50th

Cheers,
Martin
There are no N spec MPSS although it was rumored that the 991.2 might have them.

I would use the un-specced tyres over the Ferrari versions

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot SS Tires