Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what i found. Get front bumper mesh grill ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016 | 07:32 PM
studlee
Racer

Default Look what i found. Get front bumper mesh grill ASAP

I've been eye this modification for some time. Yesterday as I was looking to take measurements I see this dead bird. I never noticed when I've been washing the car. From what I gather this bird must have been in the bumper for a few months as It was pretty dried up and crunchy. I was so grossed out taking the bird out that I couldn't eat my lunch.

I need to do this mod asap now. I don't want to take the front bumper off, so I will be doing a custom mesh grill. if you do a search there are a bunch of guys who have done the mesh grill mod. has anyone uploaded a template for regular non-sportdesign front bumper? I could not find it during my search.

Last edited by studlee; 03-30-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2016 | 08:10 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-991-diys.html
Old 03-28-2016 | 10:43 PM
gusp
Instructor

Pic? LOL
Old 03-28-2016 | 10:59 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah... This thread ....
Old 03-28-2016 | 11:10 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

i tagged a squirrel a couple months back, was certain it was in my Rennline grills, but nope.. a great mod indeed though.
Old 03-28-2016 | 11:21 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Got a better reason today...some dumbasses had a junked old caprice up on a flatbed and it had all the side windows either down or not there. Well at 70mph on the highway and a 40 year old car the rear window blows out of it and lands in the road right in front of me and explodes sending glass across the entire front of my car. 1/4" chunks of glass. Windshield cracked, front plastic insets in the openings dinging up but my mesh stopped and held the glass...large amounts of it that clearly would have gone through my radiators...so f'ing pissed. My xpel saved my hood I hope...car is really dirty and just brought it home and drove another car to work so no idea yet of real damage and no time to clean it tonight. Lights all nicked, headlights and daytimes, and sport design bumper that was new is damaged where the glass did tear through in spots. Clearly without either the grilles or the xpel my entire front and my radiators would all have been destroyed completely. Car is no longer a pristine virgin. So fing pissed. Not sure the plastic inserts are separate from the bumper so another new bumper possibly?
Old 03-28-2016 | 11:47 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Got a better reason today...some dumbasses had a junked old caprice up on a flatbed and it had all the side windows either down or not there. Well at 70mph on the highway and a 40 year old car the rear window blows out of it and lands in the road right in front of me and explodes sending glass across the entire front of my car. 1/4" chunks of glass. Windshield cracked, front plastic insets in the openings dinging up but my mesh stopped and held the glass...large amounts of it that clearly would have gone through my radiators...so f'ing pissed. My xpel saved my hood I hope...car is really dirty and just brought it home and drove another car to work so no idea yet of real damage and no time to clean it tonight. Lights all nicked, headlights and daytimes, and sport design bumper that was new is damaged where the glass did tear through in spots. Clearly without either the grilles or the xpel my entire front and my radiators would all have been destroyed completely. Car is no longer a pristine virgin. So fing pissed. Not sure the plastic inserts are separate from the bumper so another new bumper possibly?

So depressing. Did you get the information off the flatbed truck? Had a similar scenario occur a few years back and got the company to pay for a new paint job head to toe. Hopefully you don't need anything like that but they should at least cover the Xpel reapplication.
Old 03-29-2016 | 12:21 AM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Holey Crap.

I am fing pissed and it didn't happen to me.

Good luck
Old 03-29-2016 | 12:36 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Jesus--I would be psycho-mad...hope you got the info from that idiot tow operator...
Old 03-29-2016 | 01:13 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Zunnsport out of the U.K. Makes a set for a 991 C4s with parking sensors. I have them and although installation was a little bit of a challenge - they mount from the front so no number removal required. Very high quality and great service. I had them on my 981 BS as well. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. They might have more 991 configs done by now.
Old 03-29-2016 | 08:57 AM
mtony
Pro

That's for the Sport Design bumper (OP has a regular bumper) and unfortunately it looks nothing like the shape of the opening on my Sport Design bumper.
Old 03-29-2016 | 09:49 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

sorry to hear. At least it wasn't the whole car that flew off. And you were't injured. My poor attempt to make you look on the bright side. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2016 | 12:31 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

After reading a few post on this I became quite paranoid. Thinking that I didn't want the grill permanently affixed from the inside. (Want the option to remove grill should I ever want to give the radiators a good cleaning) I ordered a sheet of aluminum honeycomb mesh painted black. Made a cardboard template and affixed it to the inside with zip ties. (Not a lot of room in there for man hands). You can't see the zip ties as the openings are really low and are right at the sides of the 2 horizontal bars. My hands will heal from the bangs and scratches.
Old 03-29-2016 | 01:25 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Well at 70mph on the highway and a 40 year old car the rear window blows out of it and lands in the road right in front of me and explodes sending glass across the entire front of my car.
Omg that's terrible, so sorry to hear that. 75 on the freeway once in my boxster, top down and a full sheet of plywood went airborne off a truck in the lane next to me, I floored it and the thing missed the windshield by maybe an inch or two. That was probably the closest I've ever come to decapitation. Why can't idiots secure their garbage?
Old 03-29-2016 | 11:39 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
So depressing. Did you get the information off the flatbed truck? Had a similar scenario occur a few years back and got the company to pay for a new paint job head to toe. Hopefully you don't need anything like that but they should at least cover the Xpel reapplication.
Thanks gentlemen for the thoughts...still depressed. It was a pickup truck pulling a trailer and not a pro, and was too busy attempting to miss it and slow as fast as possible to reduce the impact but couldn't see tag or anything quick enough. I was in heavy morning traffic and couldn't get to it so pulled off at the next exit to check the front, that just happened to be where my state farm rep is. It will be covered by comprehensive so out my 500 deductible, but if surfaces need painting i'm out the value of an unpainted car...i'm ok with the bumper but not the metal/hood etc. Raining today so still haven't been able to clean and look close but I did see a few spots that are tiny nicks in the hood that while really small/thin are there regardless. F me. Now it truly is my daily beater. I am glad my windshield otherwise stayed intact. Crazy rain of glass that went over the car. Anyway no doubt these fully screwed in Rennline grilles did the trick...the impact was clearly very hard and black finish taken off the grilles and deformed inward on all of them. May see if bumper is replaced to get the third radiator this time.

Sadly I have felt this before with my R8 that ate a rain of rocks on a track day at the end of turn one at Sebring from an overcooking M3 going completely off at the end of the turn in front of me and spraying rocks across that pummeled my CF pieces and plastic. xpel did its job for the paint. So have already learned to accept it.

Quick Reply: Look what i found. Get front bumper mesh grill ASAP