Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long will Miami Blue be available on the 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 03:06 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,045 Posts
Default How long will Miami Blue be available on the 991.2?

I am lining up on a 2017 European Delivery of a 2018 991.2. My wife (and I) love the Miami Blue with black satin wheels.

Having followed the configurator changes for years now, I know that colors come and go all the time. I am wondering how long you guys think the Miami Blue will be available? Will it be around for the next model year? If not, would I have to get PTS (gulp) or can I simply request the Miami Blue through Porsche Exclusive since it is already a Porsche color? Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:57 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few folks in this forum who are Porsche color experts. While we wait for them to chime in, I will throw in my two cents. I have not seen Miami Blue in person yet (I will see it this Saturday) but, by the pictures, it looks like a nice color. I am sure it will look even nicer in person. The trouble, in my opinion, is that it is a color with limited mass market appeal and a color that will grow old on some people very quickly. The fact that it is going to be less common may appeal to you, but probably not to Porsche management whose job it is to provide the most appealing color range. So I would conclude it is not going to be a long lasting color.
I suppose you have asked your dealer and they know nothing. Correct?
I suppose you can put a refundable order in and see what happens. At which point you will have to ask yourself if you will back away from the purchase if MB is no longer a non-PTS color.

Let us know what you find out.

PS: GT silver was a special color up until MY2016 but a regular color for 2017. Imagine how those who paid extra felt when they saw the color move down to regular color...
Old 03-15-2016, 02:07 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I am lining up on a 2017 European Delivery of a 2018 991.2. My wife (and I) love the Miami Blue with black satin wheels.

Having followed the configurator changes for years now, I know that colors come and go all the time. I am wondering how long you guys think the Miami Blue will be available? Will it be around for the next model year? If not, would I have to get PTS (gulp) or can I simply request the Miami Blue through Porsche Exclusive since it is already a Porsche color? Thoughts?
Porsche Exclusive is not responsible for exterior colors or PTS. However, since Miami Blue is currently available as a standard color for the 991.2 it means that it will be available as an approved PTS color should it no longer be offered as a standard color. So, when the time comes it's a question of how much you are willing to pay for it (plus the three month extra wait if it's PTS).
Old 03-15-2016, 02:18 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
Porsche Exclusive is not responsible for exterior colors or PTS. However, since Miami Blue is currently available as a standard color for the 991.2 it means that it will be available as an approved PTS color should it no longer be offered as a standard color. So, when the time comes it's a question of how much you are willing to pay for it (plus the three month extra wait if it's PTS).
Solid logic. To the OP, it doesn't make sense to pay a PTS premium in the future for what's an off-the-shelf color today. (Not enough time will have passed.) If you go PTS, you're money will go further on Riviera, Mexico, Gulf or one of the more classic blues.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LCW
There are a few folks in this forum who are Porsche color experts. While we wait for them to chime in, I will throw in my two cents. I have not seen Miami Blue in person yet (I will see it this Saturday) but, by the pictures, it looks like a nice color. I am sure it will look even nicer in person. The trouble, in my opinion, is that it is a color with limited mass market appeal and a color that will grow old on some people very quickly. The fact that it is going to be less common may appeal to you, but probably not to Porsche management whose job it is to provide the most appealing color range. So I would conclude it is not going to be a long lasting color.
I suppose you have asked your dealer and they know nothing. Correct?
I suppose you can put a refundable order in and see what happens. At which point you will have to ask yourself if you will back away from the purchase if MB is no longer a non-PTS color.

Let us know what you find out.

PS: GT silver was a special color up until MY2016 but a regular color for 2017. Imagine how those who paid extra felt when they saw the color move down to regular color...

Thanks guys for the feedback. LCW: I agree with everything you said, although, I don't care about marketability since I have always bought my cars for me, not my successor.

I have asked my local dealer. It's a small dealership and frankly I know a lot more about Porsches than they do - they were no help. I'm going to the 991.2 rollout at Porsche of the Mainline in Philadelphia on April 7th - those guys are a bit more connected with PCNA. I always get some good scoop/insights from my SA there.

I don't see Miami Blue as being a standard color since there is not enough appeal and I suspect it will go away in less than a year. We will see and I will have a back up plan.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:30 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 686 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It took a long time to kill Lime Gold.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:06 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW

We hated that. I'm on my 3rd GT Silver car (started with a 2004 Boxster 550 SE), and I've paid extra for all of them but the Boxster (GTSilver was included in the SE package.) It is a remarkable silver, worth paying extra for, but ought to have always been free. But since I had to pay for the dammed stuff, I sure hate to see the rest of the world get it for just the Metallic color upcharge.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:07 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It took a long time to kill Lime Gold.
LOL, that's what I came in here to post. That lasted a couple years, didn't it? And to date I have seen exactly one LG Porsche in all my travels and in the Metro ATL area.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:55 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, that's what I came in here to post. That lasted a couple years, didn't it? And to date I have seen exactly one LG Porsche in all my travels and in the Metro ATL area.

Yeah....I hate that color. It reminds me of vomit (no offense to a few of my buddies that have LG 981s). I drove one at PEC Atlanta and did not like it in person at all.

Hopefully Miami Blue will be around through next year. If not, maybe they will bring back Mexico Blue. I know these blues are not for everyone but I kinda like it. I was personally lining up on graphite blue metallic but my wife (35 years old) said these neutral colors are "old man Porsche colors" lol

Ducking.....
Old 03-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Yeah....I hate that color. It reminds me of vomit (no offense to a few of my buddies that have LG 981s). I drove one at PEC Atlanta and did not like it in person at all.

Hopefully Miami Blue will be around through next year. If not, maybe they will bring back Mexico Blue. I know these blues are not for everyone but I kinda like it. I was personally lining up on graphite blue metallic but my wife (35 years old) said these neutral colors are "old man Porsche colors" lol

Ducking.....
your wife is entirely correct! she is a woman of great taste
Old 03-15-2016, 07:28 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

It would be pretty cool if someone could throw together a thread with photos of current/vintage 911s in all of the "classic" blue porsche colors .... gulf blue, etc. Just saying.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:34 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Hard to believe that someone thought that this would look good. (Apologies if this belonged to someone on this board)
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Hard to believe that someone thought that this would look good. (Apologies if this belonged to someone on this board)
Easy to find in a parking lot....even a 911 concourse event!!!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:28 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Saw a Lime Gold 991 this morning! Was at the entrance to my work parking lot, had black wheels which I think helped somewhat. Maybe a bit.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
It would be pretty cool if someone could throw together a thread with photos of current/vintage 911s in all of the "classic" blue porsche colors .... gulf blue, etc. Just saying.
A tad dated and not exhaustive but, well, it'll keep you busy.

73 pictures - Your Welcome

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...our-blues.html

Also try -Your Welcome again

http://teamspeed.com/forums/porsches...d-porsche.html

Quick Reply: How long will Miami Blue be available on the 991.2?