991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 7% off sticker on a GTS a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016 | 08:15 PM
CChung
Advanced

Default Is 7% off sticker on a GTS a good deal?

Hi guys, after a lengthy delay at the port my GTS is finally cleared to be delivered to the dealer. I was wondering if the 7% discount off MSRP they're giving me is a good deal before I pull the trigger. Thanks for any replies.
Old 03-11-2016 | 08:18 PM
STG
Race Director

So you custom ordered a GTS and pre negotiated a price before ordering?

Manual?
Old 03-11-2016 | 08:20 PM
drsubie
Instructor

I would think that if you pre-ordered one, got exactly what you wanted, then it's a good deal...IMHO
Old 03-11-2016 | 08:28 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

If you walked away and ordered an '17S, you'd have to repay the deposit and then receive a car that's heavier and with less horsepower that doesn't sound as good.

Getting the GTS sounds like a good deal to me too.
Old 03-11-2016 | 08:43 PM
CChung
Advanced

Originally Posted by STG991
So you custom ordered a GTS and pre negotiated a price before ordering?

Manual?
Sorry I wasn't more specific. No, it wasn't a car I speced out. It's a car going to the dealers inventory. It's a manual with very few options and a sticker of around $122K. I put a deposit down and dealer already agreed with the 7% discount. I'm also concerned given the length of time at the port what repairs were done. I also plan to use a paint meter to make sure all the panels are even and no paintwork was done. Another questions is what readings should I expect on the paint meter on panels that haven't been painted? Thanks again for the replies!
Old 03-11-2016 | 08:44 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

I got the same off and think it's a good deal. Could have done better if it was sitting on the lot but had to get much more than that on a custom order.
Get it, enjoy it and don't look back.
Old 03-11-2016 | 08:44 PM
2016GTS
Track Day

Did you order this to your specs? Or is it just a model that was being shipped and you're buying it? 7% off sounds like a good deal if it's a car you spec'ed and ordered...either way I wouldn't complain about it. There aren't any more GTS' being made (you can find them at the dealers lots though).
Old 03-11-2016 | 08:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by CChung
Sorry I wasn't more specific. No, it wasn't a car I speced out. It's a car going to the dealers inventory. It's a manual with very few options and a sticker of around $122K. I put a deposit down and dealer already agreed with the 7% discount. I'm also concerned given the length of time at the port what repairs were done. I also plan to use a paint meter to make sure all the panels are even and no paintwork was done. Another questions is what readings should I expect on the paint meter on panels that haven't been painted? Thanks again for the replies!
Well a manual GTS is hard to come by these days. I wonder how you would feel if the dealer told you they're only willing to do a 3% discount now because there are a lot of guys looking for manual GTS's?

By the way, there are ALOT looking for them.

*Granted, if there was damage you were unhappy with or a bad repair I wouldn't blame you for wanting an out. Outside of that, you already negotiated a deal. They didn't pursue other sales because of your commitment.

By the way, 7% IS good.
Old 03-11-2016 | 09:10 PM
CChung
Advanced

Well a manual GTS is hard to come by these days. I wonder how you would feel if the dealer told you they're only willing to do a 3% discount now because there are a lot of guys looking for manual GTS's?

By the way, there are ALOT looking for them.

*Granted, if there was damage you were unhappy with or a bad repair I wouldn't blame you for wanting an out. Outside of that, you already negotiated a deal. They didn't pursue other sales because of your commitment.

By the way, 7% IS good.
Yes, I've been following your thread and can see a lot of members are looking for manual GTSs. The dealer just sold a manual white GTS just recently. I plan to buy it if it passes the paint meter test. If it fails, though, I feel that is just as bad as an accident showing up on a Carfax report. Thanks STG for your expertise in this matter.
Old 03-11-2016 | 09:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Yes, I've been following your thread and can see a lot of members are looking for manual GTSs. The dealer just sold a manual white GTS just recently. I plan to buy it if it passes the paint meter test. If it fails, though, I feel that is just as bad as an accident showing up on a Carfax report. Thanks STG for your expertise in this matter.
No problem. Anytime.

If it was only a wheel touch up it would be no big deal. If it was a panel repaint I'd be pissed since it's a new car and would probably pass depending on the details.

Now ...... Did they tell you what the issue is?? Doesn't seem like it. They should be forthcoming 100% on what is going on. After all, it's a car you have a deal on already. What have they said?
Old 03-11-2016 | 09:46 PM
CChung
Advanced

No problem. Anytime.

If it was only a wheel touch up it would be no big deal. If it was a panel repaint I'd be pissed since it's a new car and would probably pass depending on the details.

Now ...... Did they tell you what the issue is?? Doesn't seem like it. They should be forthcoming 100% on what is going on. After all, it's a car you have a deal on already. What have they said?
They said they will get no documentation on what the port found was wrong and what repairs were made. They also said only if there was major damage will the port have to disclose what the damage was. So the dealer basically said unless the damage was significant there's no way for them, or me, to know what exactly was done on the car. Kinda concerning. I wonder if that usually is the case?
The dealer a few weeks ago did say they found out through their contact at the port that they were just refinishing a wheel. Don't know if that was all that was done given how long it stayed at the port.
Old 03-11-2016 | 09:49 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

7% is the best I was able to find, it depends a lot on where you are and where you're buying.

7-speed manuals are REALLY hard to find, but that may mean some dealers don't want em around too so could work in your favor. Make sure at $122K you know what options the car might be missing - dealers don't seem to know the order sheets well.

I walked on a $122K GTS b/c it didn't have power seats or rear park distance control - individually not a big deal but without the power seats package the passenger's mirror doesn't tilt and you have to guess at distance to the rear for example. (May not matter to you)
Old 03-11-2016 | 09:52 PM
STG
Race Director

They said they will get no documentation on what the port found was wrong and what repairs were made. They also said only if there was major damage will the port have to disclose what the damage was. So the dealer basically said unless the damage was significant there's no way for them, or me, to know what exactly was done on the car. Kinda concerning. I wonder if that usually is the case?
I really don't have any experience or stories to reference. I'm sure someone here has some info they can share. Might be the case where they wouldn't know like they said unless it was something serious. Still sounds bizarre to me.
Old 03-11-2016 | 09:58 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Chung, if a front fender, for instance, was damaged along with that wheel they wouldn’t do any bodywork and paint. They would paint a new replacement fender; therefore, a quick reading with ‘consumer quality’ paint meter would not show anything amiss. Depending on what State the transaction happens, the dealer may have to disclose any repaired shipping damage. There is some interesting case law pertaining to owners who have received full refunds years after the purchase. Since PNA must comply with different laws in every state it sounds like BS that there wouldn’t be records of damage and repairs. If you had an auto body tech look at it he would be able to spot any repaint.

To protect yourself, ask the dealer to research the car and give you a written declaration of any defects and repairs. Also, a repainted wheel may weather and deteriorate faster than a proper factory finish. Take delivery of the car, but ask the dealer to order in a new un-repaired wheel.

Considering the market right now for a GTS, 7% off is most likely a good deal. If you take me along, I’m pretty sure I could get you an extra ½ to ¾ percent, just because...
Old 03-11-2016 | 10:21 PM
jennifer911
Racer

By the way, if I were getting a new car, I’d be so excited by getting to drive it (for a quick weekend getaway maybe) that I’d forget to be bothered by any of those details. That’s just me though.

Quick Reply: Is 7% off sticker on a GTS a good deal?