Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GTS or 991.2 4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016 | 11:43 AM
joshg120
AutoX

Default 991.1 GTS or 991.2 4S

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm kind of at a crossroads at to which car to go for.

991.1 Carrera 2 GTS would be pretty basic spec, 7-speed manual, white with glass sunroof, sport seat plus, PASM, some trim options etc. This is pending if my dealer can actually find a car with this spec as I can no longer order a new one.

or place an order for the new carerra 4S white with 7 speed manual, the sports package with the rear wheel steer, sport chrono, sports exhaust, glass sunroof, some trim options.

I've read some reviews that say the new car is a step ahead of the old one, but I've also seen some people (chris harris) say that the new car has lost some of the porsche magic. I dont think I can go wrong with either route but which would you prefer?

Both cars are hitting right around the 125-130k range. Planning on leasing the car so it may come down to the rate. Will be a weekend/friday car so not a daily driver

Would appreciate any input, thanks!
Old 03-09-2016 | 12:13 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

PFS tweaks residuals on cars as they get older--so that left over 2015 (or soon 2016) discount may not do much to help the worse residual/MF.

If monthly payment is the deciding factor (it was for me too), you will probably be in a .2

But like you said, no wrong answers. I do like the new wheel and infotainment system, but not enough to ever regret having a GTS. And center lock wheels are really REALLY nice, despite what you hear around here--I've not had any problems. Just awesomeness.
Old 03-09-2016 | 12:16 PM
joshg120
AutoX

Yeah i agree, I absolutely love the GTS i think porsche nailed it design wise with the wheels and black accents. The new bells and whistles on the .2 are quite nice, also read they updated the steering and it 's a nice improvement. We'll see if they can actually locate a GTS, it seems most of them are spec'd around the 140-150 range which is excessive
Old 03-09-2016 | 12:48 PM
robbie9999
Instructor

My 10 cent opinion, go for the .2 version, steering component is much better than previous generation. Turbo's exhaust note is incredible yes I have heard it in sport mode, torque is incredible at 1500 RPM it kicks in full all the way to 7500, that's ludicrous. Its mental fast 0-60 3.7 second time, be it a GTS with less, or .1 with more, at 4.3 is 95% people really going to ever feel the difference .. NO CHANCE

Other points - the new car has better tuned suspension out of the box, also lowered 10mm. Its all around a better product. And yes there is a looks the front looks more aggressive, steering wheel, and the whole screen stuff is updated. Get the 2017 the newest technology is much better, don't listen the negative, I'm close to pulling trigger on 2017. When the new 2020 comes out "ours" will be outdated as well, so what enjoy it, you can't keep up with progress .. unless your Bruce Lee with Bill Gates money
Old 03-09-2016 | 02:06 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Just a point of clarification the .2 base Carrera's suspension is 10mm lower because it now has PASM standard.

I went through the same exact dilemma and was coming from a 991.1 C2S. The GTS is a very special car, from a throttle precision standpoint, engine sound perspective and the 7spd is really a significant improvement over the .1. The .2 is going to be a nano-second faster. The .2 has a turbo - good and bad with it, but that's the future.

Ultimately I chose the C4S with PDK (they made improvements there as well) principally because my experience has been while each series is different, overall it's a step forward. I also had a 997.1 C2S and really miss that car because on the street you had great steering, the tail was really progressive in slide but at lower speeds than a 991.1 and the front fender curves really allowed you to see where the tire was. Slow in corners, fast out. The 991.1 - fast in corners, fast out.

I honestly think if you want to go manual the precision you have with a NA's throttle is something a turbo can't match - to me that's a big deal. Since I decided to go PDK, that wasn't an issue for me and so I decided to jump into the .2 with both feet.
Old 03-09-2016 | 02:13 PM
Werks 1
Racer

IwI love my GTS ........and I will keep this for a long time. Saying that, I custom ordered my as I do ALL my PORSCHES. I have special wheels and lots of other options. IF I was in the market for a car now, I would NOT purchase a car on the lot unless it had ALL the options I wanted. Its a special car, no matter what model you choose. I would not want to "settle" for a car I am spending $140k on. The only hesitation I would have is the .2 has a lot of new technology that may need tweaking. I was the first to have Panamera E Hybrid in So Cal and had tons of issues. Regardless of what anyone says, new models or new engines always need tweaking as the time goes on. Either way, the GTS is incredible and I am sure the .2 is nice as well. I love the sound and drive the .1 has.........
Old 03-09-2016 | 02:33 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

I would go with the GTS, if you can still find one you like. You mentioned that the GTS you were were looking for would have PASM. Did you mean SPASM? PASM is standard on all GTS models, and all Carrera S cars for that matter.
Old 03-09-2016 | 02:57 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

991.1 if you can find it, especially if you're going to keep it.
Old 03-09-2016 | 03:12 PM
Sharm
Pro

Originally Posted by Werks 1
IwI love my GTS ........and I will keep this for a long time. Saying that, I custom ordered my as I do ALL my PORSCHES. I have special wheels and lots of other options. IF I was in the market for a car now, I would NOT purchase a car on the lot unless it had ALL the options I wanted. Its a special car, no matter what model you choose. I would not want to "settle" for a car I am spending $140k on. The only hesitation I would have is the .2 has a lot of new technology that may need tweaking. I was the first to have Panamera E Hybrid in So Cal and had tons of issues. Regardless of what anyone says, new models or new engines always need tweaking as the time goes on. Either way, the GTS is incredible and I am sure the .2 is nice as well. I love the sound and drive the .1 has.........
I wouldn't agree that a car off the lot is out of the question - it just depends on how much experience you have with Porsche options. I specced my initial car and made to order (it was a Targa 4S) and then I traded in on a GTS on the lot. Not only did I get a killer deal, but I got the exact car I wanted. Granted, I felt somewhat lucky to find what I wanted on the lot. Did it have EVERY option that were MUSTS (YES - manual, right color, SPASM, GTS, 2 coupe, Bose) but did it have some I would not have ordered (YES, a few) and some optional ones not there that I may have preferred (possibly). But since I owned a Porsche for about a year before that, I realized what I absolutely wanted and what I necessarily didn't need. For instance, I went way overboard spending thousands extra with deviated stitching and leather in my Targa but then realized after the initial 'newness' wore off, I hardly even noticed it when I sat in the car. Porsche entry and drive? Had it on the previous but not on the new one and hardly miss it. Point is, if you have personal experience with what you like and what not, a car off the lot is potentially a great value if you can find one with your "must-haves" on it.

As far as GTS vs 991.2, I'd have to reserve judgment until I drove the new one (which I plan on doing once it hits dealers inventory) - but I will say this, it'd take one HECK of an offering by Porsche to impress me over my GTS. The fact that Chris Harris didn't look favorably upon it in comparison with the GTS says something to me.
Old 03-09-2016 | 03:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by joshg120
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm kind of at a crossroads at to which car to go for.

991.1 Carrera 2 GTS would be pretty basic spec, 7-speed manual, white with glass sunroof, sport seat plus, PASM, some trim options etc. This is pending if my dealer can actually find a car with this spec as I can no longer order a new one.

or place an order for the new carerra 4S white with 7 speed manual, the sports package with the rear wheel steer, sport chrono, sports exhaust, glass sunroof, some trim options.

I've read some reviews that say the new car is a step ahead of the old one, but I've also seen some people (chris harris) say that the new car has lost some of the porsche magic. I dont think I can go wrong with either route but which would you prefer?

Both cars are hitting right around the 125-130k range. Planning on leasing the car so it may come down to the rate. Will be a weekend/friday car so not a daily driver

Would appreciate any input, thanks!
It's a weekend "fun car" correct? That's what you've said. The choice is clear.
Old 03-09-2016 | 05:01 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Drive both if at all possible.
Old 03-09-2016 | 05:04 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

991.1 GTS all day long..
Old 03-09-2016 | 05:16 PM
joshg120
AutoX

thanks for the responses definitely giving me something to think about.

I'm going to see what they have available as far as the GTS cars go, if they have one with a close spec to what I want and for a fair price that is most likely the route I will go. If not I will happily order a new car, I think that the GTS will offer a little more driver excitement and sense of occasion. I love the look of the GTS with the black center-lock wheels and accents with the aero kit, etc. The new car will no doubt be amazing, but I think the enhancements are more focused towards using the car as a DD, as opposed to driving the car once/twice a week.
Old 03-09-2016 | 05:44 PM
LCW
Pro

By the way, unless you have your eyes on a GTS in stock that fits exactly your wishes, this might be a moot point because there are very few left in stock in the US.
Old 03-09-2016 | 06:00 PM
STG
Race Director

Don't wait for your dealer to find a GTS for you. Go out and make a deal yourself and save $$ most likely. 2 manuals here. Can a .2 compare to this white GTS?? NOT!

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS or 991.2 4S