Sponsored by:

Sport Design Front Bumper - Replacement / Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport Design Front Bumper - Replacement / Questions

Went out for a great drive with friends today. Aside from the fact that there was a lot of gravel on the ground, we all had a great time.

When I got home, I noticed that my front Sport Design Spoiler was almost fully pitted down to primer (picture attached). The bumper cover and hood did much better (due to being wrapped). Most of the dots/specs on the bumper and hood are bugs. There are a few cuts on the wrap. The windshield showed a few (or more) small pits too.

It looks like the SD front spoiler is replaceable at a pretty good price (before being painted)

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991REPSPO.html

A few questions:

1) How easy is it to change the SD Spoiler Lip? It looks like it uses six rivets? Is this an easy DIY job?

2) Due to the large amount of shapes and angles on this spoiler, has anyone successfully wrapped it before?

3) Has anyone painted there SD Spoiler a different color (black) on a white car. If so, any pictures? I was thinking I could make a heavy duty one (matte black or similar) for days like today and a nicer for for other uses.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2016, 04:27 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

So they wrapped the front of the car except the spoiler? That's weird.

Mines wrapped but it still takes a beating.

There's some talk about replacing spoilers on here in a few different treads and they just pop on. No fasteners to speak of except the 2 plastic ones on the corners and they usually break off the 1st time you nail the lip on something.

Mine is actually cracked but held together nicely with the wrap so it has not been replaced yet. I'm waiting to rip it off at some point then I'll replace.

After the picture above I actually got behind the lip using a trim tool and realigned all the cracked pieces so it's very difficult to tell it's even cracked.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
So they wrapped the front of the car except the spoiler? That's weird.

Mines wrapped but it still takes a beating.

There's some talk about replacing spoilers on here in a few different treads and they just pop on. No fasteners to speak of except the 2 plastic ones on the corners and they usually break off the 1st time you nail the lip on something.

Mine is actually cracked but held together nicely with the wrap so it has not been replaced yet. I'm waiting to rip it off at some point then I'll replace.

After the picture above I actually got behind the lip using a trim tool and realigned all the cracked pieces so it's very difficult to tell it's even cracked.
Thanks CSK. So was yours wrapped with the spoiler off the car and the edges wrapped around to the back of the spoiler?

I am not sure why it is not wrapped, but the rest of the front end is. I wonder if the prior owner/selling dealer just removed some damaged wrap and didn't replace it (pure conjecture). No big deal. Just need to find a better, longer term solution.

Since most of my call is white, i think black would look out of place for a piece that big. May try it or try the aero kit front spoiler too.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:07 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Spoiler not removed. Just a really tight cut line you can just see if you get close to the seam.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:08 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Gleek48
Went out for a great drive with friends today. Aside from the fact that there was a lot of gravel on the ground, we all had a great time.

When I got home, I noticed that my front Sport Design Spoiler was almost fully pitted down to primer (picture attached). The bumper cover and hood did much better (due to being wrapped). Most of the dots/specs on the bumper and hood are bugs. There are a few cuts on the wrap. The windshield showed a few (or more) small pits too.

It looks like the SD front spoiler is replaceable at a pretty good price (before being painted)

A few questions:

1) How easy is it to change the SD Spoiler Lip? It looks like it uses six rivets? Is this an easy DIY job?

2) Due to the large amount of shapes and angles on this spoiler, has anyone successfully wrapped it before?

3) Has anyone painted there SD Spoiler a different color (black) on a white car. If so, any pictures? I was thinking I could make a heavy duty one (matte black or similar) for days like today and a nicer for for other uses.

Thanks!
The spoiler can be wrapped. No issues!

My guess, it was replaced by the dealer before the sale and not painted very well. Probably why it's not wrapped.

A bad paint job can chip easier. They probably just painted over the smooth primer finish rather than lightly sanding first and bad adhesion.

Another hint, riding someone really close on bad roads is asking for tons of stuff getting thrown up at your car.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,185 Likes on 712 Posts

As an experiment, I plasti dipped my aero spoiler black. Keep it that way for a couple of months to see if I would like it. Wound up painting it later and much happier with it painted.
Attached Images   
Old 03-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
As an experiment, I plasti dipped my aero spoiler black. Keep it that way for a couple of months to see if I would like it. Wound up painting it later and much happier with it painted.

What color did you paint it? Same as the rest of the car?
Old 03-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
The spoiler can be wrapped. No issues!

My guess, it was replaced by the dealer before the sale and not painted very well. Probably why it's not wrapped.

A bad paint job can chip easier. They probably just painted over the smooth primer finish rather than lightly sanding first and bad adhesion.

Another hint, riding someone really close on bad roads is asking for tons of stuff getting thrown up at your car.
Thanks. I think you are correct. I will get a new one painted and wrapped.

Most of the time, I was pretty far back as if i was at a normal distance, i would get a bunch of crap thrown up at me. A few times, i ran up on a friend for just a few seconds.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Yep, painted it white.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Yep, painted it white.
Kind of looks like the car lost a tooth with it black.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Yep, painted it white.
Porsche_nuts - Was it pretty easy to replace the spoiler yourself? Do the "rivets" just pull out?

I have been trying to find installation instructions on the web without any luck.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Porsche_nuts - Was it pretty easy to replace the spoiler yourself? Do the "rivets" just pull out?

I have been trying to find installation instructions on the web without any luck.
yes they do, you can reuse them, or simply get some more from the dealer, its a couple of minute job to pull the splitter from the front bumper easily DIY.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,342 Posts

A few questions:

Thanks!
I did exactly this on my GTS, I purchased 2x of the Aerokit Cup splitters from suncoast and had them painted by my local Porsche approved bodyshop (it was about 300ea to paint)

removal/install is DIY, you simply pull the rivets (you can reuse them if you are careful) then the splitter is simply held in my locking tabs that can be
gently removed with the leverage aid of a small trim tool ...
Old 03-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Very easy. There are pics of the rivets and spoiler posted by Larry, in another post, but I will post them here. There are two "rivets" on either side of the spoiler. Just look under the car by the front wheels and you will see them. Rivets are composed of two pieces - a rod that pushes into the rivet, and as it does so, it expands the rivet and tightens it. To remove, I pushed the rod all the way up to clear the rivet, then used a small screwdriver to loosen and pull out the rivet. Once the rivets are out from both sides, simply pull the spoiler off - pull from the bottom.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Sport Design Front Bumper - Replacement / Questions