Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS vs GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016 | 11:37 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Default GTS vs GT3

I am pretty new to the forum but bought my first Porsche in I995. I do not track but wanted to see some thoughts on GTS vs GT3. Also options on value on which one may hold stronger value in the next few years knowing GT3's are selling pre-owned over MSRP and 60 + GTS 's are still at dealers. PDK vs MT?
Old 03-06-2016 | 11:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Haven't you answered your own question?

Buy whatever car best suits your needs. Cars should be bought as something fun to experience and not a speculative investment which they're not. Nobody wealthy has made their fortunes buying/selling cars unless you own a dealership.

MT vs. PDK? The endless debate with no right/wrong answer. Same as above. Whatever best suits your needs.

That being said ... Buy a used GTS at $30K off MSRP and a used GT3 with the same miles at MSRP and in the long run your probably looking at same $$ deprecation. There is a bubble in the GT3 market now which will slowly be coming back to reality soon.

Want to bubble wrap a car and sit on it? Buy a 991.1 manual GTS with no sunroof and SPASM, centerlocks and Alcantara. Who knows how that will even play out not knowing what's around the corner. I assume next GTS will not be NA. If that's the case, the above will be a desirable car. Take that money and invest in real estate, and your return will be higher in 20+ yrs.

Back to my point, cars aren't good investments.

Last edited by STG; 03-06-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2016 | 12:28 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

For me, I want mt and I need back seats. Easy answer. I'm taking STG991's advice and looking for a used GTS and just waiting for the right one to pop up in the used market. Or if some of these new GTS's sit long enough on the dealer lot, maybe try to get a good price on one of them.
Old 03-06-2016 | 12:39 PM
STG
Race Director

A new GTS owner just posted in "hot for sale". Got a nice pre-owned GTS at $30K off and a CPO warranty until 2021!
Old 03-06-2016 | 01:49 PM
fast1
Race Car

MT vs. PDK? The endless debate with no right/wrong answer. Same as above. Whatever best suits your needs

That assertion seems obvious, but nevertheless there are hundreds of posts on this forum regarding the transmission choice.
Old 03-06-2016 | 01:54 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
A new GTS owner just posted in "hot for sale". Got a nice pre-owned GTS at $30K off and a CPO warranty until 2021!
Also found on the "Hot for Sale" thread. 2015 GTS Cab 30K off MSRP with CPO good until 2021. T
Old 03-06-2016 | 02:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 77tony
Also found on the "Hot for Sale" thread. 2015 GTS Cab 30K off MSRP with CPO good until 2021. T
And a very nice one at that!
Old 03-06-2016 | 02:07 PM
Db750
Intermediate

I think what the OP may be asking, and this is also something I was wondering before I purchased my first 911s, is is it actually cheaper to own the more expensive GT3 over saving $20-30k on initial purchase price and getting the GTS. I know there are options you can get on one car that you can't get on the other, but lets leave that out and just consider based on cost of ownership.

I have only owned my 911 for a month now, so I am very new to the Porsche world which is why I have been mostly reading threads and not responding so that I can learn enough to offer valuable contribution. So from my point of view as a novice I was wondering the same thing, and had actually been researching the GT3 (because cost aside it is one of my top dream cars), but I decided not to jump in that deep on my first Porsche. I bought a 2014 991S (it was listed in the hot for sale thread although I did not see it until after purchase). My car had 44xx miles on it when I bought it for $90k. The original MSRP was $138xxx. So my car depreciated $50,000 in two years and 4400 miles while based on what I am seeing a similar year/milage GT3 would have depreciated very little to not at all.

What are everyones thoughts on the above? I know with the GT3 there are more expensive consumables such as tires, brakes, etc and I'm sure insurance cost more, but for someone that is not interested in the different options that aren't available on the GT3 and does not want a manual, is the GT3 actually cheaper to own than a GTS or S model that will depreciate much faster?

Thank you in advance for any well thought out responses as this is something I have been wondering but I did not know the best way to ask.
Old 03-06-2016 | 02:09 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Which car fits your use cases better and/or gets you most excited?

If it's primarily a street car you will likely find the GTS a better car - more refined ride, back seats, etc

As a former "have to have a GT3 it's the best of the best" owner (granted it was a 997.1) I learned that a prepped, dedicated track car is still better on the track in most cases, and most people tire of a GT3 on the street if it's their only fun car. They change hands a lot! Only you know.

It you're asking about which you could drive and flip in 2-3 years and get the most resale out of it...as STG says that's a gamble. If you got a really good deal on a lightly used GTS and kept the miles down I would bet the delta would be about the same. Bet being the key word

Personally I find the GTS a better fit - bought a C2S this year for my fun car after too many BMWs and way over-specced GTS being hawked by the dealers

Chris
Old 03-06-2016 | 04:40 PM
CChung
Advanced

Take into consideration what I read on the front page right here on Rennlist. Porsche is bringing back the manual transmission on the GT3 and the GT cars, except for the GT2, will be staying normally aspirated. Great news for the enthusiast!

Quick Reply: GTS vs GT3