Sponsored by:

991.1 upgrading to new 991.2 PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:15 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STG991
Does anyone actually use navigation in cars anymore? I thought smartphones made them obsolete? The only used market the 911R will hit is the auction houses! Good luck.
That's correct but with CarPlay you can use Google maps, iPhone navigation, etc. & can view that navigation app on your stereo head screen. It's also great for receiving texts as you can listen to the text messages over your stereo. Replying is not as good, unless it's very short message because any slight pause will trigger Siri to want to send your message before you actually finish it. That is why I purchased the basic stereo & went aftermarket.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
That's correct but with CarPlay you can use Google maps, iPhone navigation, etc. & can view that navigation app on your stereo head screen. It's also great for receiving texts as you can listen to the text messages over your stereo. Replying is not as good, unless it's very short message because any slight pause will trigger Siri to want to send your message before you actually finish it. That is why I purchased the basic stereo & went aftermarket.
Thanks for the info
Old 03-06-2016, 09:51 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Waze/Maps on the cell takes care of both mapping and LEO detection in real time. Apple Car play to the best of my knowledge does not. That said there are aftermarket systems out there that will do the trick and do it better ex: Money's GT3: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...o-upgrade.html and DrC's GTS: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9208...o-upgrade.html If the plan was to keep the current 991 for more than a few years, I would make the investment as I've done with the 928's.02 T

Last edited by 77tony; 03-07-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:05 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

I'm glad you found my Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX thread to be helpful. My car is a keeper & that is another reason I made the investment to go aftermarket.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:05 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
But 911R has it all though - getting hands on that will happen later when they come in the second hand market (Need AC and sound system). Can't drive without them both.
The interior pictures of the 911R seemed to show that it comes with the old PCM unit from the 991.1:

Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

if it's anything like the 997.1 - 997.2 pcm swaps out there - then...

- there is ALOT to swap out (pcm/bose amps, everything)
- blackmarket dealer activation codes need to be purchased (not kidding)
- to this date, the 997.1 AC unit is properly controlled by the 997.2 pcm.

it should be a royal pita (assuming it can be done).
Old 03-07-2016, 03:54 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Putting aside big business conspiracy theories for a moment - PCM is a lot more than a nav system.

Think about all the systems with which the PCM has to interface. Yes, Porsche does have a standardized bus/backplane but the code and interfaces are only part of the issue. Anyone on this forum who has experience with software knows about regression testing and support for compatibility between new and old. Add in regulatory issues around the globe and I'm not surprised that there is no solid business case to develope and offer a retrofit.

It's not about "forcing" people to upgrade to the 991.2, it's a simple business decision. If Car Play and a larger screen is a reason for some folks to upgrade, good for the decision makers - but I seriously doubt that is what drives retrofit decisions. It's all about the numbers.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:30 AM
991TR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think this will be possible.

The new PCM screen is capacitive to support multitouch (pinch-zoom etc). A retrofit would require changing out the entire PCM unit and wouldn't be simply a software update.

Even if you were able to update the software with the new features, it might be incredibly limited--depending if the new UI/X was designed to take advantage of the screen.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:57 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TR
The new PCM screen is capacitive to support multitouch (pinch-zoom etc). A retrofit would require changing out the entire PCM unit and wouldn't be simply a software update.

Even if you were able to update the software with the new features, it might be incredibly limited--depending if the new UI/X was designed to take advantage of the screen.
My boxster had a CD player only, and I asked about upgrading to the Nav system. Porsche offers a retrofit for it for around $5.5k I think.

Obviously that's not software-only, same with the carplay. It doesn't mean they won't decide to offer all the parts for the upgrade at a later date. It wouldn't just be the head unit (like the boxster, which would have required the gps wart and probably some other things) but if they want to offer it they are perfectly capable of doing so. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but there's no reason to think that Porsche is unable to do so if they decide it's worth it to them to do it.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:11 AM
991TR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
My boxster had a CD player only, and I asked about upgrading to the Nav system. Porsche offers a retrofit for it for around $5.5k I think.

Obviously that's not software-only, same with the carplay. It doesn't mean they won't decide to offer all the parts for the upgrade at a later date. It wouldn't just be the head unit (like the boxster, which would have required the gps wart and probably some other things) but if they want to offer it they are perfectly capable of doing so. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but there's no reason to think that Porsche is unable to do so if they decide it's worth it to them to do it.
Don't disagree with you on that. With enough money almost anything is possible. My response was based on the orginal poster's question and assumption that he meant a software update.

I've had PSE and PDLS added at the dealer-level on one of my 991s, but those are options offered specifically within my model year.

Porsche would definitely be able to do it, maybe the question is, will they give dealers permission to do so?
Old 03-11-2016, 12:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,782 Likes on 5,143 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Does anyone actually use navigation in cars anymore? I thought smartphones made them obsolete?

The only used market the 911R will hit is the auction houses! Good luck.
Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
Actually, technically CarPlay or Adroid Auto is using the smartphone.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:33 AM
DrCGuerra
Racer

What I was trying to convey is that CarPlay allows me to use the 7" screen on my stereo instead of looking at my phone screen or use the built-in nav system from the stereo.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:52 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Waze/Maps on the cell takes care of both mapping and LEO detection in real time. Apple Car play to the best of my knowledge does not.
Actually, PCNA confirmed at Tech Tactics this past weekend that Waze was #2 on their priority list of apps to enable with Car Play, but didn't come together in time for 991.2 PCM 4.0 release (with #1 being Pandora, which DID make it in). So you will likely see Waze appear in the list of apps supported in Car Play for Porsche not too far into the future. What people forget is that Car Play allows the head unit touch-screen to act as the phone display, BUT there are controls around which apps are functional from the head unit.... Car Play doesn't simply put all of your apps onto the head unit and work exactly as your phone. There is a lot more to it than that. Plus for most of the functionality of "on-line" the PCM requires a SIM card (new 991.2's come with a 3-month free/trial that includes an AT&T SIM).

Another interesting point -- Google Maps is an overlay to the in-car NAV system. So on-screen you can do Street View (while car is not moving) and cool stuff like that. Oh, and gone are the days of CD / DVD based map updates. It will all be download updates from now on.

Last edited by plenum; 03-11-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TR
A retrofit would require changing out the entire PCM unit and wouldn't be simply a software update.
Unless I'm mistaken I'd assume most are aware this would be the case. The hardware itself is different including a different type of touchscreen etc.

That said I'd be interested in understanding if a swap of the old and new PCM units would be possible; would this be simply plug and play? Would all of the wiring/connections be the same? Would any additional programming be required? Probably too early to answer but patiently awaiting some brave soul giving it a try.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Unless I'm mistaken I'd assume most are aware this would be the case. The hardware itself is different including a different type of touchscreen etc.

That said I'd be interested in understanding if a swap of the old and new PCM units would be possible; would this be simply plug and play? Would all of the wiring/connections be the same? Would any additional programming be required? Probably too early to answer but patiently awaiting some brave soul giving it a try.
Unfortunately as I've posted elsewhere, the hardware dependency is not only the PCM head unit...
The use of Carplay requires the new PCM and other hardware bits that are integrated throughout the car, none of which there is any plan for retrofitting into previous gen-991 or earlier PCMs.

Now, this is the current response -- who knows what we'll see in the future (for example, perhaps someone like NAV-TV will develop an interface harness, something along those lines), but for now PAG is not planning on PCM 4 retrofitting to 991.1 cars. Sad if you ask me....

Here's a pic from the tech session presentation indicating the various "connected car" hardware dependencies in the 991.2... Can all of these bits be retrofitted into a 991.1? Maybe.... But likely will be an aftermaret/custom-only solution. Oh, and for reference in the pic below, PVTS is not new to Porsche, but IS new to US Market.... Porsche Vehicle Tracking System. And the Media Interfaces is the required connector for Car Play -- your existing USB port won't support it.

Quick Reply: 991.1 upgrading to new 991.2 PCM?