Sponsored by:

Has your' car got worms?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has your' car got worms?

One thing I never mentioned about my car was some issues I had with the paint work, or I should say the finish on the paint work.

It was not till a couple of days after collection I spotted it and then some one else mentioned it when looking at the car. The whole of the roof was covered in little lines, long marks in the roof running front to back. The marks did not look like scratches they looked like marks or indentations in the paint.

So I called my OPC and went straight over for them to inspect it. As soon as he saw it he said " don't worry its in the clear coat. Its happens when they put the protection film on a a new car while the clear coat is still not completely dry"

He offered the services of his paint department to polish the marks out, which I turned down. I let my detailer do the paint correction on the car and then charged it back to Porsche, who were happy to pay.

I thought this was just a problem for me but mentioned it to some one who collected their car this week and lo and behold his roof and bonnet where covered in what he called 'worms'. His detailer has removed them for him too.

But these are not the only two cases. http://clubblau.org/forums/topic/clear-coat-problems/.

Some of the descriptions....

"The “bacteria” lines were all over the car, everywhere."
"But this bacteria looking things were really bad"
"like little bacterial worms"
"small almost clear lines. Both circular and wavy"

Not sure if its just a PTS problem, but Porsche do know about it. So check you new pride and joy very carefully for 'worms'
Old 02-24-2016, 05:43 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you sir. This is a very valuable piece of information for all of us who will soon be taking delivery of a new car. This should be part of everyone's delivery checklist.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Worms in Paint

There, in fact, has been a TSB issued by Porsche on this subject. They offer a few remedies. Being a Porsche Approved Collision Center (Factory Certified), we get a few calls to fix this concern.

To clarify, what happens is the white protection wrap will trap moisture on the surface, and it will penetrate the clear. One of the remedies is to put it in a bake booth, and allow the clear to "self heal" itself. If this option works, it sounds a lot better than invasive color sanding and/or what detail shops call "finessing".

Hope this helps others who search the site for this problem on their brand new car.

-Sam Zamir
Old 12-20-2016, 02:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

A common issue with PTS cars mostly. Why PTS?? Not sure. Many cases noted in the GT3 forum over the past couple years.

What color by the way?? Pics?

Many times the car sitting out in the baking sun helps as well.

They put this wrap on the cars right after painting while the paint is still curing and off gassing for 30+ days after a paint job. Not ideal, but they need to ship the cars and have them protected ASAP.

Last edited by STG; 12-20-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:55 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

When I read the thread title I pictured this lol...

Old 12-20-2016, 03:04 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Pics?
Old 12-20-2016, 04:20 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Zamir
There, in fact, has been a TSB issued by Porsche on this subject. They offer a few remedies. Being a Porsche Approved Collision Center (Factory Certified), we get a few calls to fix this concern.

To clarify, what happens is the white protection wrap will trap moisture on the surface, and it will penetrate the clear. One of the remedies is to put it in a bake booth, and allow the clear to "self heal" itself. If this option works, it sounds a lot better than invasive color sanding and/or what detail shops call "finessing".

Hope this helps others who search the site for this problem on their brand new car.

-Sam Zamir
The bake booth is the only remedy that I would find acceptable. I certainly wouldn't want my clear coat sanded down to remove the problem.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by fast1
The bake booth is the only remedy that I would find acceptable. I certainly wouldn't want my clear coat sanded down to remove the problem.

It's the heat of the buffing that takes care of the issue. You'd literally have to take off the whole clear coat to remove the worms.

I agree, would rather not touch the paint as a correction does remove a very small amount of clear coat each time.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:31 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i didnt even look and the car will remain filthy for the next 4 months.. i hope i dont have worms/
Old 12-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Any pics of this, by chance?
Old 12-21-2016, 09:51 AM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough to see but there are a few pics here

https://www.detailersdomain.com/blog...orsche-991-gt3
Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
It's the heat of the buffing that takes care of the issue. You'd literally have to take off the whole clear coat to remove the worms.

I agree, would rather not touch the paint as a correction does remove a very small amount of clear coat each time.
I'm not a detailer but I know that the clear coat has several advantages. Here are some that I'm aware of, but I suspect that there are others: adds protective layer to color coat; adds depth and shine to color coat, provides UV protection for base coat, and makes it easier for a body shop to blend paint areas within a single body panel.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
A common issue with PTS cars mostly. Why PTS?? Not sure. Many cases noted in the GT3 forum over the past couple years.

What color by the way?? Pics?

Many times the car sitting out in the baking sun helps as well.

They put this wrap on the cars right after painting while the paint is still curing and off gassing for 30+ days after a paint job. Not ideal, but they need to ship the cars and have them protected ASAP.
yup that's the problem right there...
Old 12-21-2016, 02:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by fast1
I'm not a detailer but I know that the clear coat has several advantages. Here are some that I'm aware of, but I suspect that there are others: adds protective layer to color coat; adds depth and shine to color coat, provides UV protection for base coat, and makes it easier for a body shop to blend paint areas within a single body panel.
Was I suggesting removing the clear?? You'd be screwed without out. The paint underneath has zero gloss and is water based. The clear coat is essential.

I was saying heating up the surface supposedly helps the clear cure a bit and the "worms" tend to lessen or disappear. Either by sun, bake booth, or paint correction. I'd do sun and bake booth first.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Was I suggesting removing the clear?? You'd be screwed without out. The paint underneath has zero gloss and is water based. The clear coat is essential.
Nope, not how I read it... I'm not even sure that is possible w/o repainting the car completely .. I am not aware of any mechanical or chemical process that is capable of removing clearcoat w/o also damaging the paint below

Originally Posted by STG
I was saying heating up the surface supposedly helps the clear cure a bit and the "worms" tend to lessen or disappear. Either by sun, bake booth, or paint correction. I'd do sun and bake booth first.
yep thats what the TSB recommends AFIAK

Quick Reply: Has your' car got worms?