Sponsored by:

Buying a 991 - RWD or AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:43 PM
EHCanadian
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a 991 - RWD or AWD?

I currently own a Boxster S, and I'm upgrading to a 2017 991. I'm debating between RWD and AWD. One thing I'm not debating is a manual transmission!

RWD argument: I love the way my Boxster feels - the sharpness of the steering, the lightness, the simplicity, and the ability to toss the car into a corner (I don't hoon it, I just enjoy the visceral feel of the car). My fear with AWD is that it will lose some of that feeling (I owned an AWD BMW 3-series, and it felt heavy and numb).

AWD argument: I live in the GTA area of Ontario, Canada, and the 991 will be my daily driver all year. I've never felt any issues with my Boxster in heavy rain, but during the snow storm earlier this winter I didn't feel confident in the Boxster, though I managed to get through it albeit slower than the AWD SUVs around me.

I test drove a 2015 CS and C4S, and by feel alone I think I enjoyed the RWD more, but they weren't spec'ed identically.

Also, is the Sport Chrono recommended? Is it worth the upgrade to an S?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2016, 11:47 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

I vote for AWD and option the car as much as your wallet will allow.

Enjoy the wait for the new car.... exciting times.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:59 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like both but prefer the AWD and the way it feels "planted" all the time.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:07 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

AWD all the way
Old 02-24-2016, 12:12 AM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mate sent you a private IM give me a ring I am in the Toronto area as well. And am thinking to order new 991, go AWD !
Old 02-24-2016, 12:41 AM
Big Lou
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Having test driven a Carrera 2, before my Carrera 4, I felt no discernable difference in ordinary driving. In other words, my C4 essentially feels like it's a rear wheel drive car. And, when I look at my torque split gauge, it usually shows all the power going to the rear wheels. But, take it up a windy, tight hill and the power effortlessly shifts back and forth between rear and front...In other words it's only 4wd when it needs to be...when that happens,the car hunkers down and grips like crazy---and the confidence that inspires is simply awesome!

Not sure I could go back to 2wd after that...and did I mention the wide rear?

Love my C4
Old 02-24-2016, 03:01 AM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had both rwd 991 and now I have a awd 991 c4s. They are both fun...I can still let my rear tires loose even though I have awd. The 991 c4 is rear wheel biased and only transfers power to the front as needed. Over all it feels about the same as a rwd but much more stable. My vote is awd
Old 02-24-2016, 03:14 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD has a greater potential for traction, but with a trade off of weight and some parasitic power loss. But if you are tracking it or driving bad weather, I would say AWD. IF not save your money for your next trade (:
Old 02-24-2016, 08:02 AM
hotwired
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-24-2016, 09:13 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 149 Posts

I use my 991C2S as a daily driver here in northern Virginia. We get some cold, snow and ice and I have found that, for the most part, the rear wheel drive with winter tires is more than adequate for daily use. I looked at AWD but decided to forego the extra weight and complexity of the AWD system. I think that they are both great cars but if you are thinking AWD because of weather, it may not be that important. The rear wheel drive with the weight over the drive wheels has few issues in bad weather. The biggest concern, to me, is ground clearance. Good luck either way.

Originally Posted by EHCanadian
I currently own a Boxster S, and I'm upgrading to a 2017 991. I'm debating between RWD and AWD. One thing I'm not debating is a manual transmission!

RWD argument: I love the way my Boxster feels - the sharpness of the steering, the lightness, the simplicity, and the ability to toss the car into a corner (I don't hoon it, I just enjoy the visceral feel of the car). My fear with AWD is that it will lose some of that feeling (I owned an AWD BMW 3-series, and it felt heavy and numb).

AWD argument: I live in the GTA area of Ontario, Canada, and the 991 will be my daily driver all year. I've never felt any issues with my Boxster in heavy rain, but during the snow storm earlier this winter I didn't feel confident in the Boxster, though I managed to get through it albeit slower than the AWD SUVs around me.

I test drove a 2015 CS and C4S, and by feel alone I think I enjoyed the RWD more, but they weren't spec'ed identically.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 981 Boxster.
I live in Wisconsin.
For a daily driver, there was no question in my mind, a C4S is on order.
With PDK. I might add!
I've been driving AWD vehicles for decades in winter weather and any disadvantage of AWD is easily overcome with increased traction.
Whether it's an 'S' or not is up to you.-Richard
Old 02-24-2016, 11:59 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Our Targa S came without the choice... but I've never felt a drawback to its AWD. In fact, I quite like it... the car is happy to run hard in any weather.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by EHCanadian

Thanks
I also live in Toronto and have AWD. I think AWD is the way to go because it will give you confidence to drive all year round. And don't forget the power bias is still RWD by default... power only moves up front when the extra traction is needed.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:03 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Very helpful - I just changed my order to a C4S. My last two were 2S's, this will be awesome and I agree with the comments about the car having a rear wheel bias and then kicking the from in when you need it. Plus you get 'dat behind and it'll be slightly quicker.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

As a counterpoint, I live in Toronto and have a 991 GTS-2 as my daily driver. With the amount of weight sitting over the rear wheels in a 991 I've had zero issue in the snow, just get a set of Michelin PA4s and you will be set. Note that some reviews agree that the steering in the C2S/GTS-2 feels a bit more alive vs the AWD models as well. IMO AWD is a nice to have but not remotely necessary here based on weather alone... I'd rather save by not adding the extra weight/cost. No lack of confidence driving in the worst weather too, the thing between your ears is a much bigger difference maker than 2WD vs AWD.

Mind you if you're looking at a 991.1 or 991.2 C2S vs C4S the AWD version comes with the wider body which is a positive benefit.

Quick Reply: Buying a 991 - RWD or AWD?