Sponsored by:

Black Badging Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 02:37 AM
hodeld
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Badging Ideas

Just very quick question - any examples/pics of rebadged black PORSCHE logos (especially over agate grey)? Have a 4s with the chrome badging and thinking about changing it up. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2016, 03:28 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Just check out any GTS pics, they all have black badges stock from the factory.

Google Image search for "911 GTS Agate Grey" and you'll find more.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Plastidip is ideal for this.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:01 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 02-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Cheaper, yes. Ideal? Depends on your skill level. If you botch the job, you wasted time and money on plastidipping, and then you'd have to go get the factory black ones to do it right.

Plastidip is ideal if there's no other option, but it's not trivial to execute and get a factory look. Plenty of people have gotten great results, but it's a process you should take seriously.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:05 PM
agate911s
Track Day

GTS black badge on my C2S Agate...

Old 02-13-2016, 11:19 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Plastidip was far easier to do than I expected. Dare I say, the results are flawless!

Old 02-14-2016, 06:09 AM
CP_DXB
Intermediate

Eric at www.bumperplugs.com sells all Porsche logos in almost any color.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks really good Brad..
Old 02-14-2016, 12:54 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Plastidip was far easier to do than I expected. Dare I say, the results are flawless!

The final product looks perfect, just like a GTS. But I'm stymied as to what I'm seeing in the first picture. I don't think it's possible that you could cut out the letters from the kraft paper -- did you cut out rectangular windows and the meticulously tape around the letters? That seems incredibly tedious and unlikely to yield good results.

What am I seeing here???
Old 02-14-2016, 02:04 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
The final product looks perfect, just like a GTS. But I'm stymied as to what I'm seeing in the first picture. I don't think it's possible that you could cut out the letters from the kraft paper -- did you cut out rectangular windows and the meticulously tape around the letters? That seems incredibly tedious and unlikely to yield good results.

What am I seeing here???
No cutting of any sort was needed. I simply masked off an area around the logo. No detail work necessary. I then sprayed the Plastidip directly over the emblems and the surrounding body. Literally just sprayed it all. I did three coats (30 minute dry time in between) making sure to get the raised emblems entirely coated on all edges. Then I removed the masking paper and was left with a big black blotch on the rear of the car. With my fingers, and sometimes a tweezer, I grabbed the edge of the Plastidip and peeled it toward the logo. It comes off 100% clean and residue free. As it peels up against the logo, the hard edge of the logo just slices off perfectly by itself making a perfectly clean edge. No cutting, trimming or slicing needed. In the middle of the o's and p's I just stuck in the tweezers and it peeled cleanly out. The peeling off process took no more than 15-20 minutes. It comes off in large pieces. A very satisfying project.

The process is amazingly easy and totally reversible. I first did one letter as an experiment because, like you, I was frightened what would happen. I then completely removed it to be sure. It's pretty hard to screw up!

The pic here shows the surface immediately after spraying. It looks rough and bumpy. (My first though was oh s**t what did I do!) But as it drys it flows smooth.

I wish I had taken a photo during the peeling off stage, but I was too excited and forgot!

Old 02-18-2016, 04:42 PM
fredz
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default badging for GTS

Gentlemen...
I recently had my car completely enveloped in a clear bra material...and it is flawless.........but.....they took the back badging...Porsche
911 Carrera GTS......off as well as the 2 door decals........GTS
The job is stellar and will protect the car from most everything...no scratching with washing...no road rocks..unless huge...no nothing. Like a plastic guard!! Anyway, my question is........since he won't rebadge it with previous calls.........I am forced to either re attach them but the 2 sided tape is now weak and he wont' do that...or buy new.
At a cost of $431 for all badges and decals.......it is nutty!! Yes, the car is expensive...but that doesn't necessarily equate into throwing money away.
Any ideas.....or where to get the badging a little more reasonable?
THanks
fred
Old 02-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by fredz
Gentlemen...
I recently had my car completely enveloped in a clear bra material...and it is flawless.........but.....they took the back badging...Porsche
The job is stellar and will protect the car from most everything...no scratching with washing...no road rocks..unless huge...no nothing. Like a plastic guard!! Anyway, my question is........since he won't rebadge it with previous calls.........I am forced to either re attach them but the 2 sided tape is now weak and he wont' do that...or buy new.
At a cost of $431 for all badges and decals.......it is nutty!! Yes, the car is expensive...but that doesn't necessarily equate into throwing money away.
THanks
fred
You can reuse the badging - what I would do is stripe away the old glue on the badging, buy new 3M double sided tape, cut tape to each letter, and then reapply. Takes some amount of work, but better than spending crazy money when you don't have to. Or you can buy cheap badging on ebay - just not sure what the quality is. If it were me, I'd do the first option.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:12 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fredz
Gentlemen...
THanks
fred
Fredz... Check with your SA, perhaps other service departments. PAG actually provides body shops, repair technicians with a tool that is a "template" which fits to rear of the 991, and precisely positions the badging. I almost bought the template but it was back-ordered (and BTW it is like $6-700 US) for some time in Germany. There are two parts - the hanger, and then a lettering template insert that fits into the hanger. You match the insert to whatever model configuration you need.... If you find someone with one, you may be able to just use theirs to position your letters.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:14 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

BradB (or anyone else that might be familiar with PlastiDip, i am not),

How well does the PlastiDip adhere itself to the letters themselves? Does it withstand the pressures of hand washing and the like? I suppose it would as wheels are successfully coated using the same product, and probably more agitation when cleaned.

Thanks in advance,

Quick Reply: Black Badging Ideas