Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS window opens on MY2017 .2 991...& cost goes to $6,950!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:47 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Help me with some math.
PTS for $7k plus a front bra for $3k [who isn't going to protect their $7,000 paint] is more than a full wrap. A wrap can be any color, you don't have to wait six months, plus you can peel it off and have nice virgin paint when it comes time for resale. What am I missing?

Seriously. I'm pondering the wrap route in a brighter blue over basic black or resale silver.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:33 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe because a wrap won't have anywhere near the depth or shine of paint? Some options like doing a matte black wrap can be better than paint, but for an actual color, I think it would look pretty cheap in real life--though I guess it depends on the color.

Check out a sample of the brighter blue wrap if you can. I'd hate to see someone drop $10K and wished they just went with a standard color instead.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:25 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
Help me with some math.
PTS for $7k plus a front bra for $3k [who isn't going to protect their $7,000 paint] is more than a full wrap. A wrap can be any color, you don't have to wait six months, plus you can peel it off and have nice virgin paint when it comes time for resale. What am I missing?

Seriously. I'm pondering the wrap route in a brighter blue over basic black or resale silver.
Wraps aren't typically as durable/protective as PPF. They are largely a cosmetic approach vs a protective one, although certainly some protection is afforded by a wrap.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:56 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Wraps aren't typically as durable/protective as PPF. They are largely a cosmetic approach vs a protective one, although certainly some protection is afforded by a wrap.
Thanks, I wasn't aware a wrap was so thin--I assumed it would be the same as a clear bra.

It does seem that paint to sample is offered because they have to for marketing reasons, not because they really want to. Kept around to keep the complainers quiet, but priced so outrageously it won't slow down the production line.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Happy to help. I'm surprised the leading PPF makers don't delve more into different colored hues. It probably creates too many unprofitable SKUs for them. But still....

PTS is a strange beast at Porsche HQ. A black box indeed. It's offered but the reasons remain unclear.

Quick Reply: PTS window opens on MY2017 .2 991...& cost goes to $6,950!!!!